Sign in to follow this  
Larry

Durban

Larry

I am picking up on a topic from the forum. It may be a good idea for those of us in the area and wider if necessary to get together every now and then and share our experiences. This forum could be used to share information and hopefully all involved will benefit.

If you are interested and willing to attend such a get together in Durban

Contact me Larry Meyer :D

email ldmeyer@iafrica.com ;):lol:

The challenge goes out to all major area's to get something similar going and give some feedback to this forum.

Edited by Larry Meyer

Harry

Larry,

I would imagine that the vast majority of folks contemplating leaving SA will be simly too nervous to reveal their intentions, with good reason. It is very dangerous for a salaried person in SA to confess to such plans under the present government.

Larry

Harry,

You have a point. We could qualify the participants prior to each meeting and thereby ensure that there are no spies present. On the otherhand do you believe this government would do anything to stop the flow of opposer's. Their objective is being met if we leave, not if we stay. Yes, they like parties and may just want to join in the festivity. Point taken, we may just have to be cautious. It will be a closed gathering. :D

Edited by Larry Meyer

Harry

Larry,

they want YOU to leave, but they want YOUR MONEY to stay there...capiche!??

Edited by Harry

Guest Guest_Sonja

Harry

The whole immigration thing is secretive not because of "the present government", but because of the nozy people who want to try and make us feel guilty about having made the decision to move here.

As for "they" wanting YOU to leave, but not YOUR money, you should realise that exchange controls were imposed (for reasons you probably supported back in the day) by the previous government in SA. Your insinuation (that it's a "new trick" imposed by THEM) is an unfair one.

Otherwise, the coffee club is a really good idea. I would have loved to have someone to talk to while I anxiously checked my mailbox everyday for two years waiting for our visas. Just keep politics out of it, for the sake of not offending some people.

Sonja

Larry

This subject has received a lot of attention. And to Harry, thank you for the wise words. All of what you mention is fact. For those who are in the process of leaving, you in any case must be careful about how you take your money out and when you advise the institutions, such as banks about your move. Simply never even tell them you have left at all. They can find out for themselves. My intention is for those in process of immigrating to get even more value from the forum. I agree we should screen all invited to the meeting. For those who have recently applied, the wait is going to be long. This time could be unitilized or just go by. It can make the landing soft and the ride there after smoother.

I think many, now Canadian South Africans who talk on this forum have had a rough ride because they were ill informed, in a hurry, misguided and eventually poorly prepared. My personal experience is one of many "untruths" if you can call it that. We have plans of getting to Canada by December 2004 and whilst I have had tremendous assistance from many on this forum, there are those who by choice evade us "in progress"

I have to fast track the process to ensure that my family gets the most from this event, more correctly put, is least effected by the timing of the move. It is also difficult to stay in business and not have a final closure date. Many on this forum have for good reasons, steered me away from employment agents, but I MUST leave DEC 04. I MUST use all avenue's open to me and if I loose $4k in the process but get to Canada by Dec 2004, I will consider my experience as GREAT. For this reason I would like to hear from anybody who has had good service from a employmeny agent. Remember, once I have a job I can go the HRDC route and get into Canada within 3 months. What a pleasure. :blink:

Finally, I will get to the point. Who do I consult with?? :blink::ph34r::angry:

All and anyone I can come in contact with. I have not had too many takes on this forum to distribute my Resume' It is your choice and I do not want to force the issue. But those who toke the rough road, it could have been easier if you explored all your options during the process of application and wisely choose the best one. Many of you have made a second move within a short space of time after arrival.

To those who have guided me, not totally away from Toronto, but in the direction of Calgary, your advise has made me think that I could be more successful with my plans and that Calgary can be a wise choice. I Thank those who have choosen to assist me wth networking. Your spreading of my resume' is much appreciated. Harry, told me ex-South African have to spread their job seek my "word & mouth" There are those who did not benefit from such assistance, but could have had a smoother ride into Canada. :unsure:

A coffee club meeting may not only give rise to an easier "long wait" but identify my job seeker. I would appreciate your support and assistance.

To all DURBANITES & area, lets get together, learn from each other , get out of this madhouse that much quicker and get on with our lives!!! :angry:

Edited by Larry Meyer

Larry

Short report back from Durban Coffee Club. :blush::blush:

4 couples attended and a good time was had by all. 3 of the couples live close to each other and we are going to channel some efforts into getting jobs from this side. We envy the couple from Richards Bay that will leave us during August, and hope to meet again before they are off to Calgary. We could not take any snaps of the meeting for obvious reasons. :blush:

The feeling is that by sharing information and the pains of immigration in a get together we can all benefit in some way. One couple has had a lot of bad vibes since they announced their plans. "It is nice to talk to people who understand" Not that we do not get tremendous support from the forum but you cannot beat a verbal chat. :blush::blush:

Folk from other metropoles can take note of our successes and I can only advise you to follow our example. A Host should organise the meeting and also ensure that all participants are who they claim to be. :wub:

Guest Barbara

It was a great get together. So good to be able to talk to people who understand.

Many thanks to our hosts. Good luck .

steve

Firstly, thanks to Larry & Sharon for organising this event.

It was great to actually talk to people who are in the same boat face to face. Now we can put faces to some of the names we see here! We learnt quite a bit, hearing other peoples opinions and stuff.

Let's see if we can sniff out some more Durbanites to join us for next time! :blush:

gl_williams

Thanks to Larry for all his effort - it was great to meet and talk candidly about future plans and share ideas amongst one another. Look forward to the next gathering!!

Gary.

Larry

Angie, I would havce preferred to send you a personal massage, but you are not registered and therefore do not have a PM address. What you are wanting, to talk to folk in the same position as you is what you will get out of the so called " coffee Club". I am told there may be one opreating tin Cape Town. Test the forum on this matter.

The club members meet every now and then in person. This is meant to share experiences and know-how face to face. You will possibly also make contacts which could end up in the same city in Canada and therefore cushion the stranger effect on arrival etc.

Our club in Durban has met once and will meet again in early July, when a new member is expected on board. Wish you luck. :blink:

To those DURBANITES not on board, come and join our next meeting at the ICE RINK. We are practicing for Canada. :lol::lol:

Larry

Just placing a reminder to everybody in the Durban Area. We have a club going in which we have regular gatherings. The aim is to discuss and share our common experiences regarding immigration to Canada.

To those DURBANITES not on board, come and join our next meeting at the ICE RINK. We are practicing for Canada. :D;)

Larry

Great to see something happening in the TVL area. We have some exciting news pending in our area with possibly 2 groups getting their final approval soon.

To those DURBANITES not on board, come and join our next meeting on the 17th July @ the ICE RINK. We are practicing for Canada.

Karen

Great to meet Larry and his wife on the webcam. Good to actually see and hear those you are chatting to, even if the sound breaks up from time to time! ;)

Hope more of you will come and either chat or really' talk and see ', when you can.

Once again, my address is jarnico_6@hotmail.com

It's summer time and I am at home and have extra time, so this is a good chance to 'gesels' with folk from the old country!!

Larry

Had a great time chatting Karen. :ilikeit:;):ilikeit:

Kobus this could be a easy way to get your gruop started. I see some guys do not want to meet at first. Do some video conferencing on MSN Messenger. We communicated reasonably well because I have ISDN and obviously in Canada the system is rather fast ?? Maybe 256K both ways.

I am happy to do this with more folk both here in SA and in Canada. Now you can join the Durb's Coffee "or beer or what ever club" from any where. Send me a PM and I will give you my MSN address or I think you can just click onto the MSN icon below my postings.

Edited by Larry

Larry

Having a great time chatting to all. :D;):magic:

Folk here in SA you can get intogroup discussions. We are doing video conferencing on Yahoo Messenger. We communicated reasonably well because I have ISDN and the Canadian system is rather fast.

Those of you in Canada come and join us and introduce yourself. You do not have to see me all the time I will put my web cam onto the current RUGBY on TV for you. It is strobiscopic but better than nothing. Now don't all rush at once :magic::ilikeit:

Anybody in SA can now join the Durb's Coffee "or beer or what ever club" from any where. Check my profile for my Yahoo address and log on.

RUGBY ON YAHOO MESSENGER

gl_williams

Hi all,

Just thought I would give a quick update on the DURBAN COFFEE CLUB. We all spent the morning ice skating and popped over to the Spur for a relaxed lunch. We all had a great time and well done to Larry for keeping his ice skating ability a well kept secret - maybe there is an option to speed up your application Larry, try the HRDC route and apply for a position as a professional in the NHL :D . In any event thanks for the good lessons ;)

Larry

Any takers with a job offer from the Calgary Flames? ;):D Gary thanks for exposing my Resume' Now all I need is the contract :magic::magic:

We had a good time again and shared a lot valuable information. Anybody in SA can now join the Durb's Coffee "or beer or what ever club"

post-16-1090172231_thumb.jpg

gl_williams

Thanks for posting the pic Larry! Need to learn how to get that one right.

For those of you who need an introduction as to the people in the pic in Larry's post... Well -Ahem- I am the big mug standing in the centre (Gary) on the left is my wife Paula and our three kids below (left to right: our twin boys Benjamin and Luke and our daughter Rachel). Steve and his lovely lady Angela are the couple on the right of the pic - they are one month behind us in the queue.

For all the other folk in Durban it would be great if you could contact us and come along to our very informal and fun filled monthly get togethers - we try to share ideas and provide moral support etc etc. I think we are all going bowling for our next event ;)

steve

It was great fun even though I spent most of the clinging onto the side railing for dear life! ;)

I really enjoy talking to people going though the same life changing process as us, sharing ideas and experiences. :)

I encourage any other Durbanies to come and join us for next meeting.

Angela

I really do encourage any other Durbanites (I know there are a few more out there) to contact one of us and join in on our fun gatherings!! ;) You never know how we can help each other with support, sharing information, sharing container space and even helping each other settle in if we land in the same city. :)

Guest Barbara

Nice to see you all again in the photo. Sorry we missed this one.

Good luck

Barbara & Derek

Larry

Barbara & Derek, If I remember correctly you are off on Monday, next week. Best of luck with your travel. Riaan you leave the following day. Keep in touch and good luck.

Just reminding those who are still here in SA and in particular Durban of the Coffee club which aims to share information and ideas. Contact me if you are interested as we are planning our next meeting.

If you are in the Gauteng area, Kobus has initiated a club in that area and I am sure all are welcome to join in. They also meet soon.

Larry

Good to hear the idea is growing. How many families are involved? I hope the Gauteng gruop has good results from these meetings.

Once more I invite those folk from the Durban and surroundings to join in on our meetings. :rolleyes:;)

Larry

To those DURBANITES and surroundings not on board, come and join our next meeting on the 22nd August. We are meeting for Ten pin bowlling at the Pavilion.

Great to see some folk participating in the same support meetings in the TVL area. Would like to chat to some of you folk on IM MSN or Yahoo. Ask Kobus and Cathy to give you contacts info. Look forward to some feedback from both Cathy and Kobus on their LSD trips.

Edited by Larry