Sign in to follow this  
Cathy K

Vancouver Island

moya

Lovely pics, Debbie and Cathy! We visited the island this summer and we absolutely loved the beautiful surroundings and the tranquil atmosphere. :ilikeit:

Cathy K

The Coombs "Goats on the Roof" market is quite something!

Here's one of those goats - on the roof, of course!

4029611235_eef6fc3d75_o.jpg

4030366332_707fa02045_o.jpg

And some of the stuff they sell.

4030367450_ab71170442_o.jpg

4029611651_cf28549a17_o.jpg

Island Life

Great to see the Something South African sauces! Our local SA supply shop (Jacaranda Imports) used to sell that range but have stopped now, as they said that the importer in Vancouver is now supplying the large supermarket chains (I think that this must be in Vancouver only because I haven't seen these sauces in our local Safeway, Save-On-Foods, Sobey's or Superstore). If anyone knows where those sauces are being sold in Edmonton, please let me know!

Lorrett

In Calgary I have bought these sauces at Sobey's, Co-Op and London Drugs. They are yummy!!

Cathy K

We also find them in Save-On (Overwaitea)

annied
I wanted to post this the full 316kB, but I knew I would have been in trouble with the moderators.

Our sunset last night, as seen from the front stoep.

838945825_f614ea858e.jpg

Cathy K.

dis mooier as mooi

Nie eers n poskaart kom hierby nie

Cathy K

An updated review of Nanaimo.

Nanaimo, a formerly rough-and-tumble logging and fishing town of almost 100,000 people on Vancouver Island, offers the same stunning views of snow-capped mountains and rugged bays as its larger neighbour. With float planes taking off for downtown Vancouver several times an hour, a vehicle ferry, helicopter flights and a planned high-speed passenger service, the commute across the Salish Sea makes sense and can be shorter in some cases than commuting by car from Greater Vancouver’s eastern municipalities.

A single family home averages $358,200, an increase of about seven per cent over the past five years compared with Vancouver’s 57 per cent gain.

The average house price in Vancouver is out of everyone’s price range

In addition to becoming a transportation hub for Vancouver Island, with a new cruise ship dock in one of British Columbia’s deepest ports and an airport that has had five years of record passenger growth, the town has a growing technology sector.

The city’s latest plan is to start a high-speed passenger ferry service and will request bids later this year from private companies to operate it. The trip would cost about $30 one way and take an hour from downtown to downtown.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/mortgages/vancouver+island+hinterland+attracts+affordability/11741015/story.html?__lsa=cc42-74be

Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 5

Cathy K

Time for a visit, don't you think?

http://www.vancouverislandview.com/

• Like 2

Stefan

Cathy, I see you're having some warm weather.  Hope the garden loves it.  I'll be there next week, with the wife, kids and in-laws.  Thanks for the newsletter link!

Cathy K

Hmm, weather seems to be changing today. Now why didn't you visit last week?

We had some guests from Namibia and they loved every minute. Their's was an LSD trip, so we hope they will eventually settle here.

Stefan

Ja, luckily they got the nice weather, the week we had might have swayed them otherwise!  But we came expecting rain - and we got it half the time!  The family were good sports, determined to go outside, playing on Rathtrevor beach and visiting waterfalls - my favourite pastime on the island.

We took a whale-watching trip from Campbell River, in choppy seas, rain and all - and it was worth it!  A humpback whale was breaching multiple times and a family of orcas paid a visit near some sea kayakers.  It turns out my 5-yr old girl has sea legs and my 3-yr old likes salmon sushi.  Oddly, I remembered eagles being commonplace (from 6 years ago), but didn't see a single one this time.  Apparently it's been dry and the good fishing has moved elsewhere??

LidiaS77

Some pictures of Vancouver Island:

Waterfall in the Goldstream Provincial Park northwest of Victoria:

goldstream.jpg.8885dc1a627e8e39dfc8d2868f77e9f7.jpg

Comox, Central Vancouver Island north of Nanaimo:

comox.jpg.f35738eeb1643f7ca47f63281e04344e.jpg

Victoria Chinatown:

chinatown2.jpg.1f2ad16d7ee29520a94f55361707f11a.jpg

Victoria Chinatown:

chinatown.jpg.6c3a7bfd8cbf029683bc6507f42a0743.jpg

LidiaS77

Victoria Legislative Building and Inner Harbor on Canada Day:

canadaday.jpg.540d506c72cb744ace71f6d3a1c34e35.jpg

Downtown Victoria:

horse.jpg.1b2c0719d9ffac738563d69f973be29d.jpg

Island View Beach north of Victoria

islandview.jpg.d1556f2574ab77c2abd97c1ad9cf91f5.jpg

LidiaS77

The Sooke Potholes Provincial Park west of Victoria:

sooke.jpg.6bce8984c766afd4816410ea6d51021a.jpg

Stand-up paddle boarding on Thetis Lake west of Victoria:

thetis.jpg.a5f3dcfb5d04de0aa656c540e48af06c.jpg

The Uptown Shopping Center in Victoria:

uptown.jpg.23b3273fbba5b91b6d360d33ea44cdda.jpg

LidiaS77

Willows Beach in Victoria:

willows.jpg.aa02e81556f6277d5e96527ea4a4e821.jpg

• Like 1

Lizelle

Simply beautiful.  

I am guessing the water is slightly chilly?  I don't see anyone actually in the water at the beach :) 

• Like 1

LidiaS77
5 minutes ago, Lizelle said:

I am guessing the water is slightly chilly?  I don't see anyone actually in the water at the beach :) 

Yup, the sun is nice and warm but the ocean water is beyond cold, your legs go numb after a few seconds. Swimming in Thetis Lake is amazing though, the water is very warm.

LidiaS77

The Legislative Building in Victoria:

legislative.jpg.128555b66bb9d9578f2ef380fd9368ad.jpg

Flowers and totem pole in front of the Legislative Building in Victoria:

flowers.jpg.2d6f40bc922fbc6302636aed841a7dfd.jpg

The Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria:

empress.jpg.f82070b96258c4ae7ab45e8ab1eef25e.jpg

• Like 1

Lizelle

Such a beautiful place.  

We never made it to Vancouver Island (turned around on our tour at Maple Ridge).  But the thing we noticed was just how much more colourful everything is closer to Vancouver.  Much more flowers and different trees and things than what we had seen up till then

• Like 1

Cathy K

Carry on Lidia. Great to see some new postings on this thread.

• Like 1

LidiaS77

Comox Harbor, Central Vancouver Island:

comoxharbor.jpg.c2030d2734b7abd23f3c1b1592bce81a.jpg

Fan Tan Alley in Victoria's Chinatown, the narrowest street in Canada:

fantanalley.jpg.4131dce537e604bcbbceda33fc80400d.jpg

Beacon Hill Park in Victoria:

beaconhillpark.jpg.d58baac20194480dab61fc2957326cef.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria:

fishermanswharf.jpg.4f235b8df30245abb45201a111c89a21.jpg

LidiaS77

Abandoned resort/hotel in the Sooke Potholes Provincial Park, west of Victoria:

sookepotholes.jpg.b7c8fb497e60dbcd841bb65b126e5a07.jpg

View of the Gulf Islands from Mount Douglas in Victoria:

mtdouglas.jpg.a0abc2c37287c4ab89424c784512aac6.jpg

Food trucks next to the Esquimalt Lagoon west of Victoria:

foodtrucks.jpg.a0bfad0f12980ec9ce6d3282148daa5a.jpg

LidiaS77

Apartments in James Bay in Victoria:

jamesbay.jpg.bae06d2fe5025b5c9f235120be4f2b6b.jpg

The Galloping Goose Trail for biking and walking that runs through Victoria and beyond:

gallopinggoose2.jpg.e7d27413e66638ac4bb22c201198ff9a.jpg

Street art on the Galloping Goose Trail in Victoria:

gallopinggoose.jpg.18add9913ab0793e852f88441798d555.jpg

LidiaS77

Unsworth vineyards, north of Victoria:

unsworth.jpg.357b793e3490041993531bc5e72d0fb3.jpg

• Like 1

Willem sing
Posted (edited)
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:43 PM, Cathy K said:

An updated review of Nanaimo.

Nanaimo, a formerly rough-and-tumble logging and fishing town of almost 100,000 people on Vancouver Island, offers the same stunning views of snow-capped mountains and rugged bays as its larger neighbour. With float planes taking off for downtown Vancouver several times an hour, a vehicle ferry, helicopter flights and a planned high-speed passenger service, the commute across the Salish Sea makes sense and can be shorter in some cases than commuting by car from Greater Vancouver’s eastern municipalities.

A single family home averages $358,200, an increase of about seven per cent over the past five years compared with Vancouver’s 57 per cent gain.

The average house price in Vancouver is out of everyone’s price range

In addition to becoming a transportation hub for Vancouver Island, with a new cruise ship dock in one of British Columbia’s deepest ports and an airport that has had five years of record passenger growth, the town has a growing technology sector.

The city’s latest plan is to start a high-speed passenger ferry service and will request bids later this year from private companies to operate it. The trip would cost about $30 one way and take an hour from downtown to downtown.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/mortgages/vancouver+island+hinterland+attracts+affordability/11741015/story.html?__lsa=cc42-74be

Hi Cathy

We are still deciding where to aim for when immigrating to Canada January 2019. I follow your posts re Vancouver Island + Nanaimo with great interest.

A major determinant is property prices, which e.g. draws a thick line through Vancouver. I see above you mentioned that property on Vancouver Island  - or are you talking only about  Nanaimo? - is a lot more affordable. Or at least,  that was the case beginning of 2016. What is your opinion, is that still the case?

We currently live in Cape Town, and we hope to settle somewhere in Canada where traffic is not such a big problem as we are currently facing every day (wasting life away). Not to talk about the accompanying air pollution!

Willem

Edited by Willem sing