Sign in to follow this  
anthea

Birth Certificates

anthea

Hi Nico/Cobus or anybody else

I had not had an original of my birth certificate for myself, so i went to home affairs in claremont, and organised an abridged birth certificate that is notarised by our lawyer. Would this be okay, or did i have to have organised an original which would take anything from 6-10 weeks?

Thanks

Anthea

Edited by anthea

anthea

Hi all

My father has my original bith certificate, so i am relieved. We dont obviously have to send that one do we? Or can we copy it and notarise it?

thanks Anthea

bianca

Hi Anthea

You have to apply for an unabridged birth certificate - this is a special document supplied by Home Affairs that prints both the mother and father's full names and ID numbers, as well as the child's (yours) details.

It takes a couple of weeks, so hurry off to the HA office nearby and apply!

In the "reason for applying" section, just write "to complete personal records"

Regards,

Bianca

anthea

this is what i received today. Mydad has got my original , which is an abridged version so that is fine but below is just for other people to know.

anthea

Dear Ms. Metcalf,

A notarized copy of your birth certificate will be sufficient. If you have children you'll have to send their unabridged birth certificates. Certified copies will be acceptable.

Please call our call centre on 012-4223090 if you have any further enquiries. Due to security reasons we will not be able to respond to any future e-mail enquiries.

Regards,

Canadian High Commission

Pretoria

Nico

Anthea,

Yes, you do not have to send the original - a certified or notarized copy will be fine.

Nico

scotty

Hi folks,

Six months after applying for my wife's birth certificate (mine was issued after six weeks), Pretoria finally told us today that there is a problem with her file and her birth certificate is inaccessible.

Is there anything at all we can do, or does this mean we are stuck here for good?

Scotty

Cathy

Can you not get an abridged birth certificate, an official letter from the Department of Home affairs stating that they cannot issue the full one and an affadavit of the facts that are on it and send all that? Surely they cannot exclude you because of the local bureaucracy.

Deonm

Scotty-Just another thought.How did she manage to get an ID ? The application for the issue of an ID must be accompanied by some sort of proof of birth.Try that route if you think it will be shorter than that suggested by Cathy.Even go back to her schooldays and try to obtain a copy from their records.

You need more than good luck,but don't give up !.

Deon

Rochelle

Scotty, let me start off by saying that this is only the beginning!! :D The long process of The Big Wait is riddled with hiccups, frustrations, inadequacies and red tape. Ask us and almost anyone else on this board - hardly anyone gets away without any hassles and near-misses along the way!

And that said .... here we find ourselves on this side of the water, with that horrible application process only a black memory behind us.

I was told something similar - apparently a birth certificate was never issued for me. Heehee, I accused my parents of all sorts of horrible things, but of course Home Affairs was not much better in the seventies than they are now!

So it seems my birth was in fact recorded in something called the "birth register", which may be literally a big book with all the births written in there. Home Affairs in Pretoria made a copy of that and stamped the page, and I simply wrote a letter explaining the situation. And here I am!!

Let it also be noted that you are not dealing with people in the CHC in Pretoria who are strangers to South Africa. They know the "system" and all its failings only too well, and will make accomodations for local problems. That's why I've always been a proponent of applying in the country where you live.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Hendie

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Rochelle! This topic goes on the Immigration Topic Index! :D

expiper

I have had the same problem getting a birth certificate from Home Affairs. I then managed to speak to someone at Home Affairs that understood my predicament, he then said he will have to go to the dungeons to get me a vault copy but it would be a couple of rand more, seeing that they only have one or two people authorized to go into the vaults. Whala I have a certified copy of my original birth certificate.

The moral of the story is ask for a vault copy of your birth certificate.

Good luck :ilikeit:

scotty

Thank you to everyone who replied. This is why I love this forum so much.

I am going to try these suggestions one by one. If one doesn't work, I'll try another.

Thank you! Thank you!

Scotty

JJKruger

I had a similar problem trying had to get a birth certificate for my sister (50+ year old). This was to provide proof of relationship to my nephew for our application. After months of going from one official to the other one official told us to re-register her birth! That was easy and within a week we had an unabriged birth cerificate.

Blesbuck

We applied for our Unabridged Birth Certificates six weeks ago, so on friday afternoon we went down to Home Affairs to enquire about it. Mine were in the system, but my wife's went awol somewhere, as well as our application for the Unabridged Marraige Certificate.

They then sent us to the lady in charge, who had us fill-in the forms again.

According to her, when they moved Home Affairs from the Civitas Building in town a year ago, they moved the personnel to the old Siemens building in Waltloo(an industrial area to the north-east of Pretoria), and all the documents and records to a facility in Rosslyn(in the north-west of Pta).

Apparently they haven't even unpacked all the boxes at Rosslyn. She couldn't even give us a due date. She said there's some applications taking more than a year

So,if you even consider emigrating: APPLY FOR YOUR UNABRIDGED BIRTH CERTIFICATE(AND MARRAIGE CERTIFICATE) BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE !

It'll save you a lot of hassles(and time) later

Blesbuck

Sandhir

Hi

I am in the process of gathering my documents together for my application, but I do not have a birth certificate. Do I need to apply to Home Affairs to get a duplicate, or are certified copies of my I.D book sufficient?

Thanks,

Sandhir.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Sandhir

You will need a full birth certificate - that's the one that lists names of parents too.

And if you are married, a full marriage certificate as well.

The ID book version is not what they want.

The certificates can take some weeks to get, so I would apply a.s.a.p. if I were you.

All the best!

Marli

Sandhir

The unabridged birth certificate is probably the worst nightmare in the application. We had to apply for unabridged certificates and waited months for them to arrive. When they finally did, there were a couple of mistakes on them; the most significant was that they said that my partners' mom was my partner’s daughter... Therefore, we had to reapply....

Good general advice for everyone applying. The FIRST thing you should worry about is applying for the unabridged birth certificates. Then you can start worrying about the rest of the stuff.

Oh, and the other thing that was a pain, was that I needed an English matric certificate. For some reason the certificate I had was not acceptable. Moreover, I matriculated in the Old South Africa when there were just 4 education departments... that was fun as well...

dieulefit

This is how we got ours - my folks went to the authorities in person, because they knew it would take months to arrive. If you go in person, you might get things rolling a bit quicker. However, they were told that it could be 'arranged' to be with them within a few weeks but they have to pay a certain amount into an account! That account number was given to my folks and as much as they hate bribing someone, that is what they did! We received those Birth Certificates in good timing - mine had mistakes on and had to go back, but it was corrected quickly. You will otherwise need to be patient and wait. We have since warned many other friends and family members to apply for all these information LONG in advance..... .

Sandhir

Thanks for the advice guys :blink:

debs

Hi all

I have a new question regarding birth certificates:

I have a foreign birth certificate - having been born in Hong Kong, and adopted by South African parents.

I have certified copies of:

* "Certified Copy of an entry in a register of births" from the Registrar General's Department, Hong Kong

(This shows my birth mother's name, but there is nothing entered for my birth father's details)

* Order of Adoption (RSA)

* Abridged Birth Certificate (RSA)

* Certificate of particulars of birth as included in the Population Register, SA citizen (RSA)

Are these ok for the PR application, and do you have to submit originals, or will certified copies be alright?

I am applying under the spouse category.

Thanks

Edited by debs

lammie

Hi Everyone

To all South Africans struggling with Unabridged marriage and birth certificates. It took me 10 days to get mine through a little company called Regi Serve that did our babies birth registrations a couple of years ago. It costs R150 a certificate but the extra 100 bucks is definitely worth it. They are based in Hatfield close to the Canadian Embassy. They "guarantee" two weeks waiting time. Anyway I didnt want to advertise but hope it helps some of you.

Hope to get my HRSDC Confirmation soon, so we can get started on our own application.

Lammie

• Like 1

Moonstones

Have you guys seen all these We Q 4 U services where they offer to get the birth certificate for you - just pay (LOTS) more - one place quoted me R680 for 2-3 weeks, another quoted me R480 and they guarantee it within 5-10 days. What gives???

lammie
Have you guys seen all these We Q 4 U services where they offer to get the birth certificate for you - just pay (LOTS) more - one place quoted me R680 for 2-3 weeks, another quoted me R480 and they guarantee it within 5-10 days. What gives???

Hi Moonstones

Try Regi Serve in Sunnyside Pretoria. I have used them on three occasions and had excellent service at a decent price (R150 for an unabridged birth certificate).

Lammie

Edited by lammie

Cathy

Hang in for the Coffee Club meeting in 10 days and discuss with my other half. He knows exactly where to go in Pretoria to make things happen quickly without paying other people your hard-earned cash.

Warren

Sorry to interject - Marli, how do you get an english matric certificate?