Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

Vancouver: Meet & Greet, Sat Nov 06

Wesley

This meet has now been confirmed and looks to be the biggest one yet!

Time and date - Saturday Nov 06/04 8pm (sharp!)

Place - Dover Arms Neighbourhood Pub

961 Denman St.

Vancouver, BC V6G 2M3

Denman / West End

phone: (604) 683-1929

http://www.emenus.ca/doverarms/

(many thanks to Ants for the suggestion and for providing the link and details for this one)

Bring a friend, sibling, partner, boyfriend, girlfirend, husband, wife...hey bring all 7 if you have them!

Myself, I'll be flying solo :)

Remember to give yourself time to find parking. It can be a bit of a 'schlep' to find parking on a Saturday night.

Please e-mail me or post here if you think you are going to attend. I need a rough idea just in case I need to make a reservation. If we're a big enough group they may even offer us a drink special or something. I know some pubs will do this for the bigger groups.

As to who is who, well I think a lot of us already know each other from previous meets but the list is a little larger since the last time we met. If you click on my name you'll see a pic of me in my profile. Be warned though I'm much uglier in real life!

To make it easy for first timers I'll be wearing a Springbok rugby jersey. So look for the jersey and you'll know you've hit the right spot! Just come up to me and say "Hey you must be Wesley" or "So you're the ugly mug from SACanada".

;):unsure:

***Note*** If you e-mail to van-meets(at)sacanada.net everyone that is on that list will receive your e-mail. Keep that in mind.

If you'd like to get a hold of me privately or want to reply privately for any particular reason then e-mail to wesley_yen(at)hotmail.com.

digin

For those doing Public Transport, go to Granville SkyTrain Station and take bus no 5 to Robson. The bus will go down Granville, turns right into Robson and then left in Denman. It is the second stop on Denman.

Ants

Thanks Digin for the transit info. I'll try & round up a few buddies to come along. :)

Adele

Hey Digin, that transit info is great.

If anyone wants to carpool to the Skytrain or even all the way, Let me know. Mike & I we will be there, I will be the one with the Springbok Scarf. The warmest one I own.

This is great, so thanks to Wesley and Ants for organising this.

Wesley

I've had a number of yes's so far. In fact, I already have a count of 10 or 11 and not even half the list has responded to me yet.

Just one request though. If it's possible at all please e-mail or post here with a confirmation if you're able to come.

I've been getting queries and confirmation messages on ICQ, MSN and even a cel phone call but its a lot harder to follow up on those messages if I'm set to 'away'. I don't save MSN chats so I may forget what you have told me. When I check messages on my cel I'm not always home or by the computer so I can't document details right away.

Also, to the person who called my cel please try again or e-mail me. I was asked to contact you but neither a name or contact number was left. I assume you're a forum member or lurker otherwise you wouldn't have my number.

And again thanks to Ants and Adele for all the networking and help on this one.

Lee

Hey guys,

Wish I was there to join your people for the meet!! Sounds like it will be fun. But at the moment I'm stuck here in SA. Hope to make it to Vancouver someday.

Lee

P.S. - For interest sake, I am Wesley's cousin.

Wesley

Wish you were here too Lee. We really should've done something like this during the summer while you were here.

Well, at least you got to meet digin.

Edited by Wesley

Ann

How about ensuring that photos are taken, especially for the benefit of those who can't make it :cry:

Wesley

I'd snap a few pics of myself but I'm afraid I might scare small children and the faint at heart here at SACanada.

Thats a great idea though if anyone has a digi camera.

Adele

Someone may have to kidnap EtienneG or Harry to join us well, I think Digin will be there with his camera, but we can still arrange a kidnapping to increase numbers :cry::(

Guest Yvonne

Hi Wesley

We will certainly be there.

We will bring our digi camera.

Yvonne & Andy

Wesley

Thanks Yvonne.

Look forward to meeting you.

Ann

I am planning on coming to the Vancouver Meet and Greet with a friend.

Wesley

Just an update.

I have 18 confirmed for this meet but am expecting another 5 or so (unconfirmed).

If you're not on the Vancouver meets e-mail list yet and would like to be please click here and follow the instructions.

I was told by Dover Arms that a reservation was not needed. So c'mon in and join us for a drink.

Hint - Listen for the accents and look out for the occasional Springbok rugby jersey and scarves.

See you there!

sme
:huh: My husband and I will definitely try to make it!

Wesley

A big, BIG thank you to all who made it out and made the night a big success!

I know there were some who come from quite far away so thanks for coming out and making it fun for all.

We had, at one point a total of 35 people and there could've been more but I stopped counting heads and started counting beers. :P

Anyway, the core consisted of at least 20 people and by my tally I have another 10 or so new names to add to the Vancouver meets list. I tried my best to greet everyone and make a point of saying hi. But if I missed you then please accept my aploogies (there were a lot of names to remember!).

There was even one gentleman from the bar hitting on all of our ladies and even bought a few drinks for one of them...which I promptly drank. ;)

Listen, thanks again. It is all of you who came out who make these things a success. I'm just the organiser and without all the support and networking this thing wouldn't even exist.

Cheers everyone!!

Wesley.

Adele

A BIG Thank you to Wesley for Organising this event. I look forward to the next one. Possibly one even closer to home. :P

I too got to meet new faces, and a lot of old friendships were renewed. Unfortunaterly the pub could not accomodate everyone that arrived and that was too sad.

We should deifinitley organize another event where all 'family' members are welcomed.

Thanks to Digin for taking pictures, I look forward to seeing the 'memories'

Once again Wesley, Thank you.

Ants

Woo-hoo! I had a blast. It was wonderful meeting everyone - I'm sure I'll hear from some of you. It was disappointing that pubs here aren't open to families with younger kids. I remember back in SA, going to the pubs under age - as long as you were supervise by your folks it wasn't a problem. I'm sure for future events we WILL find more appropriate venues. For a first event, this was awesome.

With the rainy weather taking a hold for the season - it was good to get out & meet everyone. I know the first 2 wet, grey winters here were a real challenge for me.

Thank you everone for coming out.

:P

Hiram

Wesley,

My name is Hiram Buchman and I am from Durban.

My parents and I own a restaurant near UBC and I would really like to host an event...wine tasting etc.

If you ar einterested please e-mail me

Regards

Hiram B.

Wesley

Hi Hiram,

I will e-mail you in the next day or so.

Thanks for your offer.

Will talk to you soon.

Wesley.