Sign in to follow this  
Karen

Algonquin Park- Magnificent in the Fall!

Karen

I have just returned from a visit to Algonquin Park and I am sold! I have never seen such wonderful Fall colours in such an abundance or breathed such pure air. Ok, I never saw a moose or a bear, but the two trails we walked, showed evidence of bear scratchings on a tree!

This is no Kruger Park - the concept is a totally different one, but nevertheless, it a truly worthwhile experience. Besides the beauty of the many lakes and flora and fauna, the museums are really something special. The diarama displays at the Visitors' Centre rate amongst the best in North America . You could spend a few hours happily learning about the park and its history and inhabitants. The logging museum is also worth a visit, and after the short movie, a door opens and you start on the the hour's trail through history. Past 'horses' trailing logs, to a steam locomotive and a 1933 truck, the history of logging in the past is wonderfully laid out for the visitor to take a walk through the past. You need a day permit($12) to be able to stop and do the trails and visit the museums etc. There is no charge to drive along the main road, but then stopping is not permitted at all.

If you enjoy camping and canoeing and hiking, the park is a must for you. There are also many family resorts in the park, some of which stay open all year, and others which shut down by early October or sooner. There are magnificent clean lakes for swimming and fishing and picnicking, but I hear that in June you may be plagued by awful black flies! Locals told us the best time to visit is in late Spring or now, when the Fall colours are at their best.

The drive from Toronto is about 31/2 hours through cottage country. Go straight up Highway 11 and onto Highway 60. From the quaint town of Huntsville, it's about another hour and a bit to the Park, and it's a pleasant and easy drive.

It's hard to believe that a mere few hours from the maddening crowd of the city, there is such a magnificent oasis of beauty and tranquility. I can highly recommend a visit to all Ontarians and in fact, to anyone who comes to visit. Flat Ontario does indeed have some real beauty to brag about!

Edited by Karen

Karen

Picture of a lake in Algonquin Park. Taken Oct 04.

post-328-1111336826_thumb.jpg

Harry

That's nice, Karen..

I got just a glimpse of that kind of world on our train ride on The Canadian.

Maybe Hendie can help us with his MS_Streets&Trips to get a route map.