Sign in to follow this  
shaun

Burlington Bay/Hamilton Harbour

shaun

Went sailing on Thursday last week, the best evening of the whole summer, until the wind died.

shaun

Oops sorry fist pic was the wrong one. Wanted to show the mood of the sky and the pretty sunsets we get here in GTA, if you can see through the smog.

shaun

The funny cloud pattern to the left is actually the trail left by a jet on is way west.

shaun

For those who want to know where these pics where taken. Its on the most Western end of Lake Ontario. Its called Burlington bay or Hamilton Harbour. Its the little peice of water to the west of the QEW. We sail out of a place called LaSalle Marina. Every Tuesday, Thursday and Weekend theres racing (more social during the week). I go to "get away from it all".

Burlington Sail and Boat Club and Royal Hamilton Yacht Club race against each other. Great fun.

Gautenger

Cool pics thanks Shaun, now how about some pics of the surrounding areas :rolleyes:

EtienneG

Aaaah...water...boats...

Thanks Shaun.

shaun

Gautenger

I'm working on those pics, I did say I would do some pictorals, and I will. I find for a 'first world' country things seems to be very backward when it comes to cellphones, banking and isp's (or maybe it's me,maybe I just don't understand) even the electrical systems. When you have everything bundled through one service provider it seems to compound the problem. And then there is the problem that I'm having with trying to find the time.

Is there anything specific anyone wants to see. I'll take pics while on the run.

Ettiene

I have to agree..... water, boats, Aaaahh. But I'm green with envy over that beauty of yours. What a beautiful lady. Nice vessel!!!

Charles

I hope you don't see this too often but of you do at least give us a wave!! :rolleyes:

post-27-1095722560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charles

EtienneG

Charles,

Neat pic. I hope I never see that except in passing!

Charles

Here's a tamer one.

post-27-1095722664_thumb.jpg

Charles

And a nice one taken in the evening which Shaun will probably agree is a really pleasant time out on the Lake.

post-27-1095722892_thumb.jpg

Charles

Sorry. I forgot to mention that it is Bronte in the background there.

Here is a shot of Oakville Harbour at night taken from our Headquarters down at the pier.

post-27-1095723305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charles

Chubs

Some great pics guys.

Shaun: I would like to see some of the lakes at day time, I am a HUGE fan of crystal clear water, which I hope you have there.

Any diver related pics would be good too.

Simon

Merv

Scuba diving in Lake Ontario, not a fun thing, clear water? Sometimes. Some recent pics of a dive we did (co-incidentally we went right past Charles' hangout)

Before the dive cruising past Charles' hangout on the river B)

Diving1.jpg

Visibility? : :rolleyes: :

Diving2.jpg

Cold water diving in Lake Ontario is not a bunch of fun. Can't see a damn thing and by the time you have all your gear on you are exhausted :(

Diving3.jpg

After the dive feeling a lot lighter :D

Diving4.jpg

Now this is a load of fun, warm water. Cayo Largo Cuba (31 deg at 60 ft) :D

Diving5.jpg

Chubs

Merv:

Thanks for the pics. I went to your site and had a look at some more of the Cayo Largo pics.

Have you dived anywhere else in Canada?

Simon

:rolleyes:

Merv

Not yet, I hear that further North, in Georgian bay, Tobemorey the diving is pretty good. Cold water diving sucks though

Gautenger

Shaun, thanks I appreciate your effort. I just like to dig at you guys in TO as Harry is making VA look so good and I want to move to TO. You post your pics whenever you are ready, that's fine with me - I'm in no hurry - still have a loooong wait ahead.

The kinds of pics I enjoy are not really the touristy ones, but more the pics you would normally not even think of taking, like your street, inside your local mall, the local cafe, your bus stop, school, etc. The ones where your neighbour would think : "Now what the hell is he taking a snap of that for?". But you just go ahead & do your own thing - we'll lap it all up I promise.

Edited by Gautenger

Charles

Oddly enough the Lake is a lot cleaner that it used to be and in the Fall months (when we still have to patrol) it does become a lot clearer.

I have been able to see the bottom quite easily in about 14 foot of water. Even check out how many eyes the fish have! :o

shaun

Here are a few pics taken around Burlington. Most have been taken in the last six weeks, except the water pic's are from mid August. Quality is a bit poor, I never seem to get sun shine on my days off.

My little flower bed.

Bronte Park, really nice place for kids between Oakville and Burlington.

shaun

This place is an institution amongst the Canadian people. If you come over on an LSD trip and don't go to Tim's then you can't honestly say that you did a complete LSD trip. This is a drive-thru coffee shop.

Then there is the Dollar store. Everything for a Dollar, sometimes you get two items for a Looney.

You always see these in the movies, well they are real and you see them riding around daily. Good old fashioned school bus.

The one store that all SAners will come to know when they get to Canada is IKEA. The 'budget' furniture store. Budget or not I like it, as you can see in the back ground of the pic on the right.

The assembly of most of their products is really easy, here my five year old is constructing a table for her bed side.

Harry

Shaun,

you know, the local folks turn their noses up at IKEA to some degree, but I deeply hate the local concept of "nice furniture". The houses are relatively smaller and yet they clutter them with these dark, heavy, frilly, curly, neo-colonial pieces that they pay a ridiculous fortune for. So I like the clean straight lines of the IKEA stuff. The fact that it is self-assembled is even nicer. That means I know what to do when something happens to one of the pieces....and all I need is a screwdriver!

shaun

Harry

The only thing that doesn't come from IKEA in my house is the dinning room table and chairs (oh and the appliances) other than that its all IKEA. I think I should speak to them and see if they won't give me some shares.

I'm one for functionality and definitly not fashion, even my wife says so. For me IKEA rules. If it makes me cheap by local standards, then so what , I don't care. You can sit on the floor next time you come visit me and my cheap furniture. LOL :P:P

shaun

And then came fall.

The tree on my neighbours sidewalk was the first one to change colour. Almost a week before anything else even looked like it was going to change.

In summer the kids build sand castles, in fall they build leaf castles...........

........and in winter snow castles.

shaun

Some pic's on the way to work (before the battery died in the camera).

At the bus stop looking east,

and west,

(sorry Gautenger I forgot to take a pic of the actual bus stop. Nothing spectacular, just a pole with a sign on it).

The paper stand at the bus stop, you put your coin in which unlocks the door and take one. you can take them all if you want, but this is Canada......

From the bus I get the train,

the bus terminus is right there at the train station, not to clear (sorry) but it is in the back ground

And then there is the train, commonly know as 'The Go', but is actually called The GO Transit Train and Bus Service.

(See next post for pic, I've used up my attachment space)

Harry

Shaun,

same here....we rescued the dining room and lounge set from South Africa. The rest is Ikea (and Sleep Country). No sitting on floor required!