Sign in to follow this  
Kolla

Canadian towns/cities with a SA connection

Kolla

I recently did some research on south eastern BC and discovered that Kimberley, BC was named after Kimberley in SA.

Here is some some info on the 2 Kimberley's.

In 1892, Pat Sullivan, John Cleaver, and Walter Blurchett discovered lead deposits across the North Star Mountain, which led to the Sullivan Mine and Mark Creek Crossing. A small settlement called Mark Creek Crossing rose on the heels of the Sullivan Mine's growth. In 1896 the settlement's name was changed to Kimberley in expectation that the Sullivan Mine's lead, silver and zinc deposits would be as rich as the famous diamond mines of Kimberley, South Africa. This proved to be accurate as the mine has provided a steady source of employment and a high standard of living to four generations of Kimberley residents, and is attributed with contributing more than $20 billion dollars (in today's prices) to the economy of British Columbia.

Another interesting fact on Kimberley is that the city of Kimberley sits at an elevation of 1110 meters, making it the highest city in Canada and one of the sunniest places in the country.

Ladismith, BC also has a SA connection, as I can recall.

Harry

Kolla,

Ladysmith was named after the SA town as well, after the relief of the town in the Boer War. By the way, Ladysmith is the NATAL one and Ladismith is the CApe one. They intentionally made that difference to avoid confusion. Yousee, the Afrikaners were mightily taken with the lovely wife of Sir Harry Smith. They sommer named TWO towns after her ( and just one after him :cry: ). I'm pretty sure no citizen of Ladysmith, BC knows the actual origin of the name and its connection to Spain and the Penninsular War ( where the intrepid Sir Harry-to-be met his lovely wife-to-be).

The Boer War was a seriously big deal for Canada, because it was the first time she contributed troops to a war beyond her border. In fact, I'd venture to say you will find more popular stuff on the Boer War in Canada than in Britain. At least, so it seemed to me when I searched for websites on the subject some few years ago.

Take a look HERE and HERE.

Kolla

Dankie Harry, baie interessant vir my gewees ! Nou wonder ek watter plekke nog hier of in SA n konneksie met mekaar het.

My broer was eens op n tyd in die wyn gedeelte van Kalifornie op n besoek en was so ingenome met die Modesto area daar, dat hy kort daarna met die aankoop van n stuk grond die nuwe plaas Modesto genoem het. Eks seker daar is gevalle waar plekke in SA Kanadese name dalk gekry het. Dalk het iemand al iewers hulle plaasdam Lake Louise, of iets dergeliks, gedoop :-)

Guest Engela

Pretoria Street in onse Hoofstad - wonner of sy naam nou verander sal word soos wat Pretoria ookal deesdae genoem word?!

friendlycanadiancouple

:ilikeit: Hello- Yes Kimberly is a wonderful place. We have gone a few times, and find it is a very refreshing alternative to our big city of Calgary. The alpine theme is there, and the wiener schnitzel is great!

Chef Bernard's and Motzart restaurants are great!!

The hospital and mines closing have detracted from some of the economic growth, but the town is really building its golf courses and ski hills.

It takes about 5 hours to drive there, and the scenic drive just before you get to the town reminds me of the English and European countrysides. Very quaint!! :ilikeit::D

Well worth your time to go.

Have fun!

vinceb

There is a small village in southern Alberta named Botha, population about 180. When they were building the transcanada railway through Canada, every new station/siding had to be named and the person who did the naming, was a great admirer of Gen Louis Botha.

A retired teacher from Lethbridge with a great passion for local history and a writer of two books on local history, dug up this information for me, when I asked him.

a link to the school in Botha

Botha School

Edited by vinceb

ROOIBOK

Nog 'n plek in Alberta met 'n SA konneksie

Mount Smuts in the Rockies - 2938m (9640ft.)

Located between the upper Spray River Valley and Smuts Creek Valley; north buttress of Smuts Pass. Spray Range, on the border of Kananaskis & Banff parks, Alberta

Named in 1918. Smuts, General Jan Christian (General Smuts was Prime Minister of South Africa from 1919 until 1924 and from 1938 until 1948. He was involved in both world wars. Official name.

First ascended in 1926 by H.S. Crosby, M. Crosby, M. Kennard, C.A. Willard, guided by Rudolph Aemmer.

Of the almost 1500 peaks in the Canadian Rockies, more than 600 carry the name of an individual felt worthy of the honour. The people chosen reflect what was important to those who named the mountains and in many cases Canadian society as whole at the time the name was selected.

People from many walks of life, from princesses to paleontologists, are in the list. Many of the well known historical figures in the Canadian Rockies have a peak named after them. Detailed information about them may be found in the "Mountain People" section of Peakfinder.

Edited by ROOIBOK

Pierre

Rooibok, looking at your date of birth, you must have been 'n "tydgenoot" of Genl Smuts. :D

Cathy K

Kan ons almal seblief volgende jaar saam paartie hou? Hier is nou 'n storie wat geskryf moet word! (tensy die 05 iets anders moet wees......)

Ek wonder nog oor Holberg en Kotzebue. Weet iemand waar hierdie dorpe se name vandaan kom?

Cathy K.

Pierre

Hier is 'n paar plekke wat die naam St Pierre dra of net Pierre genoem word.

Ek wil net noem dat sover ek weet is dit nie na my vernoem nie, hoewel ek nie eintlik omgee nie. :D

ROOIBOK

Pierrre jy is reg, ek en ou Jan het saam rugby gespeel vir Makwassie se 1ste rugbyspan...dis 'n "joke" okay!! :unsure:

Hoekom Cathy, soek jy 'n tydgenoot? :blink:

Omtrent Holberg:

Named for an early Danish settler, Holberg was once the home of the world's largest float camp but what remains of Western Forest Products logging community is now land-based.

During World War II, there was a Canadian Forces Station here. Now, Holberg is best known as the base for hiking the Cape Scott Trail or for having a meal after spending the day on beautiful San Josef Beach, an easy 30-minute hike from the Cape Scott parking lot.

Also nearby is Ronning Gardens, an unbelievable collection of exotic plants, shrubs and trees, first established in 1910 by a Norwegian settler and currently being re-developed by Julia and Ron Moe.

On the road from the highway to Holberg, visitors are amazed to see the Shoe Tree, a huge cedar snag covered with footwear, many having been contributed by people celebrating their successful return from Cape Scott.

Edited by ROOIBOK

Pierre

Jy kan jou ou skoene agterna gooi met daai smart verduideliking... :unsure:

thelategans

Here's a raai-raai on SA town names. What town's name mhas the same meaning in english and afrikaans when the first letter is removed (lol--easy)

Stuart

nkash
Here's a raai-raai on SA town names. What town's name mhas the same meaning in english and afrikaans when the first letter is removed (lol--easy)

Stuart

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it Q----eenstown?

Ann

Is it perhaps Cape Town? :D

ape town

aapstad

thelategans

You got it Ann.