Sign in to follow this  
Rayner

Gesels oor Kanada

Rayner

hello daar,

My naam is Rayner, ek is 15 jaar oud. Ek bly in Calgary, Kanada en is in Graad 10! Ons bly nou n' jaar en n' half hier. As daar iemand is wat oor skool hier in Kanada wil praat of enige iets wil weet, vra maar net. :rolleyes:

MelissaE

Hi, B) My name is Melissa and I AM 15 AND FROM osUTH afRICA. :lol: oops... caps lock... anywayz, I live in vancouver now, it's great! well, ummm i can talk if you want to, and if you have msn, just add me! well, i hope you have good luck finding more people to chat with! :D

thelategans

Hi,

My name is Laura and I am 11 years old. We live in Cape Town and are coming to live in Toronto (Missasaugua or Oakville) in May. I would like to hear from someone about life in Canada as I have no idea what to expect. I am in grade 6.

I have two sisters, Nicky who is 17 and Cara who is 19.

I love horse riding and wonder what is available in Toronto.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

Laura.

G_I_Jane26@MSN.com

Hallo :D

My naam is Marelize, ek is 17 en is nou maar eers 17. Ons kom van die Oos Kaap, Uitenhage. Ons is nou eers 6 maande in Kanada, en woon in Windsor. :D

Ek sal daarvan hou om met iemand afrikaans te praat en te praat oor SA en Kanada.

Marelize ;)

wise_monkey

Hello almal!!! well my naam is Jurenda, ek bly nou al amper 3 jaar hierso in Kanada, en ek moet herken dat my afrikaans maar lekker agteruit gegaan het vandat ons hier bly, ek word in julie 18 so nog 'n rukkie om te gaan maar ek is amper daar, dit lyk as of julle mense wil he om mee te kuier, en vertrou my ek is juller persoon, ek dink julle mag dalk moelikheid he om my te "shut up" lol! well as julle met my will kuier my msn e-mail is jurendaj@hotmail.com, voel gerus om my te "add" en 'n hulle te stuur!!!

baie liefde

Jurenda

miena

Hi, this is the kids forum, but as I couldn't get my nearly 11 year old to answer Laura (nothing personal), I guess because you are a girl, I will tell you what he went through coming here..

On the first day, your parents will have to enroll you into the local public school. Depending on which District School Board you will live in (depends on you address, it is called zoning), Junior School (JK (Junior Kindergarten) to Gr5/6, Middle School Gr6/7-8 and then High School Gr9-12), in some areas Middle school is part of the junior school. So I guess it is great for you as a lot of the kids will be "new" to one another as they will all be starting middle school. Laura, your grade of entry is determined by the year you were born in, not age. My son was born in the year 1992 and is currently in Gr5 and in Sep will be going to Gr6.

Anyway thats just so that you know, you will not be the only "new" kid.

They have a buddy system here as you are new and your class teacher (home room teacher), will assign somebody to you for about a week to make sure that you are OK and find your way around the school. The kids go to school 8:55am until 3:55pm...so that is going to be change for you. They normally have 3 breaks, it is called "recess", the most important one is "lunch recess" from about 11:55-12:55. You can either go home or bring a lunch to school. I would suggest that in the beginning it might be good to stay at school for "lunch recess", just so that you can play and mix with your new classmates. Later-on, depending on how far you stay from school, you can invite kids over for lunch, a really nice way for you to get to know other kids and for your mom to start meeting some of the other parents. It is normally a good sign if they agree to come and visit you at home...

You will feel really foreign in the beginning because everybody is going to talk about what they did the summer and so forth. Just listen and ask a lot of questions, so that next year you know where everybody is going and what they do. The greatest thing you can look forward to is Halloween..WOW it is going to be your first and you will have a lot of fun, so look forward to that.

Kids until Gr5 do not change classrooms and will only do so from Gr6, so you should be used to it, and can help your new Canadian friends how it works. You will have locker at school, thus you will not need to carry ALL your books with. The kids here use "binders", not books. A binder is a Box File and you will buy 3 punch holed lined paper to do your work. The neatness of your binder (per subject), counts as part of your school mark.

Laura, My 11 year old says do not talk about the SA school system as being better or worse, just say it is similar. He says that once the "buddy" system is over, you will be "tested", so be prepared. Kids will try and make fun of anything you do or wear or your accent. He says the worst you can do is to cry, stand your feet and make sure you have some good answers, do not seperate yourself from them. If you stand your ground and fit-in (dress like them, within a month you will talk like them), you will be OK. He used to wait to cry until he was at home, but it helped a lot. So it is not bad and in your next grade you will laugh at all of this, but the beginning is going to be a little bit challenging. But you can smile and ignore it totally, it WILL pass belive me, it gets better, much better.

See it as an adventure, you do not have to wear a uniform, you need a really "goofy" school bag, "goofy" binder and all sort of new goofy stuff, you are going to have fun shopping in summer. Do not wait until September as all stores will only have Fall clothing...Yeah..this is what is great...you have four wardrobes..

Anyway, maybe toooo much info for you, but if you have time in Canada, ask your mom to take you to Chapters (Book store) and read some books of Beverley Cleary (Ramona) and some Robert Munch, they are great Canadian writers....

Have fun, if you need more info, them ask me, and I will ask him and respond...Oh, yes he says ...NO JEANS...and definitely Sketchers sneekers if possible...

Guest Laura

Hi Miena, Thanks for your reply to Laura. She loved reading it. We have been here for 3 days now so things are still quite strange. We are not sure what school she will go to as we are still trying to look for a house to rent. We are in Missassauga at the moment. tel 905 890 9799 for anyone who has any advice on the area. Thanks again for your reply.

miena

My pleasure... :rolleyes: I will send you my contact details (Check your pm) as I am in the neighbourhood right next to you. Do not post personal info as we try and protect your privacy..... :angry:

Welcome...Welcome...Welcome to Ontario...The weather is going to clear tomorrow... :whistling:

miena

Oops, cannot send you a PM.as you are not registered. Can I use "thelategans"? :whistling:

Eric_10

heeey

my naam is Eric, ek en my familie is nou al vir 2 jaar hier, umm ek is 17 jaar oud en in graad 12. Ek sal noggal graag bietjie met iemand wil gesels oor die flippin koue weer wat hulle in die land het :unsure:

as jy msn het kan jy my add--> hurlx2002@hotmail.com

cheers!

Harry

Eric_10, ek is drie keer so oud soos jy, maar ek wou maar net vir jou laat weet dat ek dink Smithers die oulikste dorp van almal is in BC. Pasop net vir die ystervarke op die pad, OK!?

Eric_10

hey oom harry :unsure: , jaa ek moet se ek is mal oor die dorp. Ons was nou al in n hele paar ander dorpe, stede ens. maar nie een gee my die selfde gevoel soos smithers doen nie. En ja, die yster varke hol soos mal goed rond in die somer, gelukkig is hulle darem meeste van die tyd buite die dorp. Maar ja, die dorp bied ongelooflik baie, ek weet nie hoe lank of wanner jy hier was nie?? maar in die somer kom mense van reg oor die wereld hierna om vis the vang en golf te speel, en dan in die winter is hier n nice ski hill wat ook baie mense betrek. Hier is ook mense van pretoria wat hier bly, weet nie of jy hulle dalk ken nie? skryf bietjie oor wat julle lewens behels daar in vanc, en thanks vir die reply.

sachicky23

Hi almal...

Ek Bly in Alberta in ie Calgary omgewing en sal darem graag met ander Suid Afrikaners wil praat!!!

Ek is al 7 jaar hier en verlang so klein bietjie te veel huis toe haha

Hoop ek hoor gou van iemand :)

Liza