Sign in to follow this  
Liz

PEI Photos

Liz

Confederation bridge as seen from the New Brunswick side...... for those who do not know...it is 12.9km long

liz-Im002685.jpg

there was still some ice on the sea.....

liz-Im001910.jpg

the owner of the Preserve Company and Dana in the shop...... although the store was still closed for the season, when he heard that we had visitors from SA, he opened for us......he even opened some bottles of jam for us to taste too.....

liz-Im002755.jpg

returning home....New Brunswick in sight...from the bridge...

liz-Im002817.jpg

Edited by Liz

Guest Barbara

Lovely photos Liz.

Edited by Barbara

Gautenger

Cool photos Liz, now we know you have a camera :D

shaun

Here are some pic's I took while on Vacation in P.E.I. in mid July 2005.

Plenty of light houses. This one is West point Light house. It is a still functioning light house that has been converted into a B&B.

post-940-1123791640.jpg

Because of the high iron content in the soil all the beach sand is red. Here's my daughter and a friend on the beach at West Point at low tide. Eveything we took with on this trip still has a redish tinge to it.

post-940-1123791661.jpg

This is one of the more beautiful places in Canada in a very simple way. Crayfish boats in the little harbour at West Point Harbour.

If I wasn't so scared of the winters in this part of the world, I would retire here.

post-940-1123791718.jpg

This is what the local store looks like. It doubles as a resaurant. The locals bbq on the deck every afternoon when the boats come in, don't turn the invitation down, it's considered rude in these parts of the world.

post-940-1123791745.jpg

And finally. The best way to end the day is to watch this happen while sipping on something with lots of ice in it. Sitting on a deck chair in ankle deep water on a sand bar while the tide comes in will also work.

Sunset off West Point looking towards New Brunswick.

post-940-1123792861.jpg

Liz

Beautiful photos....I was also there again last month...my in-laws were visiting and we took them to the island. Told my mother-in-law (who is scared of anything on the water) that the ferry was the only way there!!! She took it in her stride and actually enjoyed it. Stayed just the otherside of Summerside, on the way to Kensington...in a cottage on the water...was great. We travelled back via the bridge...she had to experience both.......

shaun

Thanks Liz

With out a doubt this vacation was one of the best I've ever had. We met some of the nicest people in this world on that little island.

I'll definitly be going back someday.

We lucked out with the weather and had beautiful cloudless and windless days. The day temp's were between 28'C - 36'C for the whole week. :D:unsure:

A collegue was there the week before and had to use the furnace in the cottage for four out of the seven days that they stayed. :blink:

Harry

Shaun,

that sunset shot is a classic! Great job!

shaun

Thank you Harry.

I'll take that as a huge compliment coming from the maestro of photography himself.

I didn't see the gull fly into the pic until after I had taken it.

For some of us it's something we're good at, for others (me) it's just plain fluke.:D

Pippa

Hi Shaun,

It is absolutely stunning! Where exactly was this and it what province? Wow, something for us to look forward to!

Have a great day!

shaun

Pippa

The pictures were taken in and around a place called West Point, P.E.I.

P.E.I (Prince Edward Island) is on the eastern side/coast of Canada. West Point is on the far western side of P.E.I. It is part of an area know as the Maritimes.

The island is in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and is one of the provinces of Canada. Population is approx 140 000.

Please do not confuse this area with Newfoundland and even more so, never call someone from this area a "Newfie". "Newfie" is often used in a derogatory manner to address someone from Newfoundland. Much the same way an english speaking person in SA is known as a 'rooinek' :D .

The economy of the area is mainly tourism, potato farming and fishing (All very seasonal industries). The people of the area are very hardworking, fun loving, down to earth people.

P.E.I has one of the lowest earnings per capita figures in Canada and it reflects in the prices of the houses and the unemployment figures. The same house in P.E.I (with acreage) would cost you anything between 25% - 50% less than one in the GTA.