Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barbara

International Drivers License?

Guest Barbara

Do we need to get International Drivers Licenses? Or will our SA ones do until we get the Canadian ones. How much time do we have to get them?

shaun

I've hear mixed reports with regards to the International Drivers Licences.

I've heard of visitors being able to hire and drive cars in Canada with either the International Drivers Licence, or with only the SA licence.

If you do get the IDL it is valid from date of issue to date of expiry, ONLY IF you are on a visitors visa.

I don't know about the other provinces, but in Ontario, the IDL is only valid for 60 days if you are a landed immigrant. There after you will have to produce a Canadian licence of some sort. This is according to the MTO (Ministery of Transportation Ontario).

Reminder: Try get your drivers licence as soon after landing as possible. (the PR card is "nice" to use, but if

you loose it or it get stolen you're in the poop)

1) Its a major, and a lot safer, way of identification

2) You can't buy and licence a car with out insurance

3) You cant get auto insurance with out a drivers licence

4) The sooner you start with the Canadian driving experience, the sooner your insurance premiums

will come down.

Liz

Although we leased our car, licenced it and got insurance with our SA drivers licences, I believe we were just lucky......... or someone felt sorry for us!! After we received our Canadian drivers licences, and sent proof of it to the insurance company, they lowered our insurance premium and we actually got a small refund.

I also suggest that you get your Canadian drivers licence as soon as possible as I use mine all over for identification.

cfeeke

International Drivers License is validity varies from Province to province. In Manitoba it is valid for 3 months from the day you arrive in the prvince. Best bet is to get you Canadian license as soon as possible. They work on a merit system and you will have lower premiums as you merits increase.