Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Spousal Sponsorship from within Canada

Guest Brian

Hi

My wife was not prepared to seperate after our marriage so I am now waiting for a spousal sponsorship to come through. Any ideas as to how long I might have to wait if I am already in Canada?

I guess the next obvious question is if the process does take a while what are my work options?

Thanks

Guest Guest_Nico

Hi Brain,

Sorry about the previous message. I misunderstood your "seperate".

In-Land applications will go through Vegreville and their published timeline for Applications for Permanent Residence ("PR") is 200 days! I have a client who received his Work Permit within 90 - 100 days. It is an open Work Permit and allows you to register for Alberta Health, get a SIN and start working anywhere. The finalization of the PR application may take another few months. In this period you are not allowed to leave Canada.

:(

Edited by Nico

Guest Brian

Hi Nico

I have found out that I am going the normal spousal sponsoship route and via buffalo. Do you have any idea how long they take to get it all sorted out?

Thanks

Nico

Brain,

Buffalo is working on 12 to 18 months, so they are suppose to be faster than Vegreville.

All the best.

Nico

Guest Brian

:D

Nico got the first part out the way yesterday. My wife was approved as a sponsor. It took about two weeks.

Here is hoping it is all done very quickly.

Regards

Brian

redeye

I am a landed immigrant in Canada, and got married after becoming a permanent resident. We decided we prefer the route of me sponsoring her while she is within Canada. She is still in SA, and would have to apply for a visa to come to Canada. We are unsure if CHC Pretoria will give her a visitor's visa if they know that her husband is a landed immigrant in Canada. Any idea if this would present a problem, and how we should go about it.

Nico

She will obviously apply for a temporary Residence Visa (Visitors Visa) and this is where the problems may start. She will have to proof that she will return to SOuth Africa i.e. :

(1) A permanent job;

(2) Owner of property;

(3) Has paid leave;

(4) Ask only for a short visit (two weeks);

(5) Have a good reason for traveling to Canada.

If they hear that her "partner " is here in Canada they most probably will not grant the Visitors Visa. It is sad to say, but too many South Africans came to Canada on Visitors Visa and then never went back - this made Pretoria very sceptical and critical.

It is important to know that any fraud/lie will damage a persons future application for Permanent residence. It is not worth it to try and "trick" the Consulate in Pretoria.

Nico

:)

Hendie

So Nico, do I understand you correctly: If a landed immigrant marries a South African, there is no way for her to join him in Canada? That doesn't sound right.

Guest colleen

surely the landed immigrant will have the same rights in this regard (i.e. sponsoring a spouse) as a citizen?

Guest BC

My sister came to Canada on a holiday visa which she extended every three months through the Vegreville Case Processing Centre. She simply told them that she was getting married to her Canadian Permanent Resident - boyfriend and they renewed the visa.

She had no problems. They got married and she received her PR CARD 7 months later. Very simple and very easy.

She and her now husband did all this at the age of 22. So if they could do it, then so can you.

They had no money for lawyers or consultants. They got all the info and help they needed from the CIC canada help line and the CIC website.

canuck

My wife is Canadian and I am South African.

We wanted to apply in SA to move to Canada but they told us it will take up to 2 years for me to get my papers, so I got a visitors visa, got on a plane and applied to stay after 2 months here in Canada, I received my landed immigrant papers last week.

It took about 6 months for me to get it.

As far as I understand they have changed the law when it comes to married couples and it is now much easier to get your papers if one of you is Canadian.

Nico

Hendie,

The trick is to get the partner here in Canada. He/she has to apply in Pretoria for a visitors visa. If they realize they person only wants to join the fiance/partner the person will definately not get a visitors visa.

If the couple is already married the sponsorship application first go through Mississauga and the partner in SA then applies for their PR.

And yes they try and fast track the spousal applications.

Nico

:)

tango

Hi there,

My husband is southafrican and currently in Joburg waiting for his visa to arrive. Our case was similar to yours Brian, he went back to south africa and tried to apply for a visitor's visa and then apply from within canada. Well they found out that he is married to a canadian and denied him the visa, and got angry as well because in that interview he did not answer truthfully to the questions regarding wife!!!!!!!!!

So we started the sponsorship which was sent on the 24th of January and approved on the 10th of February, I was there when it was approved spending a month with my husband since he has been gone since october!!!

They called him to pick up the medicals instead of mailing them so it would be faster, he did the medicals at the end of february, they take 6-8 weeks to come back from Kenya where they are processed which is reaLLY RIDICULOUS! and in the meantime they are doing the background checks, so I hope that by the time the medicals are back in Pretoria the background checks will be finished and he will get his visa soon. the lady that is dealing directly with my husband there told him it could take as little as 3-4 months from when they got the papers from Mississauga or even less, so lets hope!!!!

I found out that they are very helpful with spousal cases and they say the most it could take is 6 months!

Good luck1

Pat

Charles

I sponsored my wife to join me after a year or so living here as a landed immigrant.

We were seperated but the children were with me here (yes I had custody and permission!) which is why I think it took a fairly short time to be processed. About 4/5 months.

It was done through Mississauga but there were a LOT of questions and I had to stand surety for ten years for her! (which considering that I am now out of a job and she has a very good one is a bit of a laugh!!)

I think that if the children weren't here there may have been a much bigger problem all round though.

We had started the immigration process before the separation and so she had already gone through most of the process anyway. (shows you how long the bloody visa process takes!!) Having said that, that was the major sticking point with Pretoria. Who asked a lot of questions obviously.

Generally immigration is accomodating when it comes ot spouse.

Guest Brian

Hi All

Thanks for the help. Tango I am still waiting for the call for the medical and we are halfway through March. I really hope things happen soon. I check the CIC site daily.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Brian

:D

Guest Guest_Greg

I wish to marry my fiance who lives in Vietnam (Saigon). I am a Canadian citisen, born and raised here with a good job and steady income. What problems may I incur for a spousal visa and how long would it take??

Should she get a visitors visa, come here to be married then apply?? I am amazed that we as Canadians have to jump hoops to marry outside our own Country!!!! Simply amazing. Any help would be nice. My e-mail is grauscher@shaw.ca. Thx Greg :whistling::rolleyes:

Nico

Dear Greg,

I will advise you to let her apply for a Temporary Residence Visa (visitors visa) to come and visit Canada etc. I hope she is successfull. If she has been here before it may be easier. If she mentiones that she is going to visit her fiance - it most likely will fail.

If she manages to obtain a TRV you can get married and apply through Vegreville for her Permanent Recidency. (You will hav eto keep her TRV status valid while awaiting processing of the PR Visa)

If she does not manage to get a TRV - you will have to apply to sponsor her as you fiance. They try to speed up this process but 12 months may not be unreasonable.

Nico

E-mail me if you have further questions.

nbreed@shaw.ca

Guest Brian

I am still waiting for this sponsorship to come through. It gets very frustrating reading about all this nonsense with buffalo.

I have received an offer of employment and was wondering if I submit this to buffalo would this speed up the process at all or do I just need to wait until the buffalo office gets more money for stamps?

I did my medicals on the 8th of April.

Guest Guest_Jay

Hi,

I am in canada and i hve to sponser my spouse for india, can any1 tell me how long does it take now days, and what is the procedure? how long i hve to wait to hear anything (acknoldgement etc) form CIC and find out my application is in process....

pls help me ASAP. i am confussed....

thanks a lot....

Jay

Guest Brian

Hi Jay

I have been waiting close to 9 months. I think it is anything from 6 -12 months.

Hope that helps.

Guest Guest_Jay

Thanks Brian,

its really a long time... :unsure: . R U also waiting for india??? (if u don't mind me asking this) do u know if time is different form country to country????

Jay

Guest Brian

Hi Jay

I am actually applying through Buffalo. It is funny but India might be quicker. I know through South Africa it should not take more than 6 months.

The basic process is they will first verify you are able to act as a sponsor. That takes about two weeks. Then they get you to do your medicals. So initially things happen in a hurry.

Then unfortunately once you have completed everything and given them money and all they want you just have to wait.

God Bless!!!

Guest am

would appreciate any response to my queries.

am waiting for my PR application to be approved. i have submitted all documents of myself, my spouse and children as required by embassy. we have decided that i go ahead to settle myself first so that the family, especially the kids, wouldn't have to go through the challenges of starting our new life in the new country.

after settling, i will be sponsoring my family, which means only by then will i be paying for all the fees, including that of processing.

1. will it take quite long for their papers to be approved even if the embassy has the papers already?

2. do i need to prove my financial stability by then?

3. do i also need to provide surety (like Charles had to)?

4. when will my spouse and kids be eligible for benefits if they are under surety? what benefits can they enjoy?

advance thanks!

Nico

Dear Am,

For your message I gather that you did not pay the fees for your wife and children. So they will not be included in your application.

To sponsor them will be a two stage process -

(1) To approve you as a Sponsor (Mississauga);

(2) Your family's PR application - filed in their Country of residence.

Yes it can take just as long as your application. Your initial PR application and the Sponsorship and PR applications of your family are two separate applications.

Sponsorship - per se includes signing of a surety.

Once your family is approved as PR and they land in Canada, they have all the rights of Canadians except - voting and passport rights.

Nico

Guest Guest

am - I don't understand why you would not just get your family PR at the same time as you. If you are the main applicant and qualify then your family will get their PR as well when you do. They do not have to land at the same time as you, or they can land and then return while you find accommodations and a job. it seems to me that you will now take twice as long - 2 or so years for yourself to get PR, then come here, find a job etc and only then apply for your family to join you. In my opinion this will be very hard on you and your family. Your family can be a great support to each other if you are all going through the process together. Unless I am missing something I do not see what real benefits there are to doing it this way, except you save initially on the application fees and you are able to come here ahead of them and set things up in terms of a place to stay/job, but those are things you can do even if they get PR at the same time as you do.