Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pasqueena

Canadian Driver's License

Guest Pasqueena

I live in Toronto and need to get a Canadian driver's license as my international license has expired. Can you please advise what is the quickest way of getting it? Do I have to rewrite the test, etc, etc. Do you know what the cost would be?

Thank you. :P

Charles

Hello Pasqueena,

Yes you are going to have to redo your licence. Only those who have American and Japanese drivers licences may go in and get another one without doing the test.

The Ontario licencing works on a three tier system. G1 G2 and then the full G licence. The G1 is similar to the learners licence in South Africa. It is a written test with multiple choice questions. The booklet you can buy in most stores and bookstores covers everything that you need to know.

You can do the G2 licence within a short space of time especially if you already have a licence.

You have five years to get the full G licence.

I would suggest that you do a "young drivers" course as it cuts down on the insurance premiums quite dramatically.

You can shortcut the process and go from G1 to G within a few weeks but if you do not pass the full G on the first attempt you will have to go back and do the G2 and the full G again.

It costs in the region of $200 for the licences and much more if you do the driving course.

Good Luck

Charles

Guest selina

Hi, I wanna do my license (G1) this week and I was just wondering what i need to bring with me?

AdeleJ

Hi Pasqueena,

You can get all the information you need on the MTO website.

Good luck! :D

Charles

Hello selena,

Two pieces of identification and $175 dollars would be a good start!

Good Luck

Charles

Guest Ribal

I am not a canadian citizen, living in montreal, QC. how can i apply to get a canadian driver's license?

Guest pookie

what is the fee to write your g1 test? :whistling:

Guest Anti - Import

G1 is usually around $100. That includes a G1 written test and a G2 road test.

wise_monkey

and if you fail your g2, which you of course won't, it cost an additional $ 40 and if you fail your G1 and additional $10

unfortunatly i know those rates from experience

Guest Turk

is there any sites on the net where i can get the questions on the G1 test?

Guest Jason

I'm getting close to being able to get my drivers license. I was wondering, how long does it take before you can get a G2 after you get your G1???

Guest Goolab
is there any sites on the net where i can get the questions on the G1 test?

www.gicit.com driver written test for Ontario

Guest visitor

I want to take a G2 road test, where can I reserve a time? Is there a website where I can register for the test?

Guest saada abdulkaf
and if you fail your g2, which you of course won't, it cost an additional $ 40 and if you fail your G1 and additional $10

unfortunatly i know those rates from experience

I fail two times for G2 road test and they take my driving licese, What chanse do i have to get my driving license?

Do I have to start from the skrach?

inorder to get my ldriving licese back?

It been almost 3 years now?

Kolla

I have heard that an Alberta drivers lisence now costs around $ 160 per person for a new immigrant.

Guest Tiago

Hi, I am 16 and taking the Ontario Drivers License, G1, Test tomorrow. What should I expect? How much is it in Toronto for the G1, what will be on it, and what is the written test???? PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE!

Charles

Tiago,

If you are taking the test tomorrow it is a little late to be asking questions about the test now!!! ;)

Basically if you know the books contents well you will have no problem with the test. It is a multiple choice test and mainly common sense, but if you haven't studied the book then you may have a problem.

The cost for the G1 is $100 by the way which is a lot to lose!!

Here are some sites you may go to now for some information:

Ontario Giovernment website

here is the fees structure

The fees structure

Guest Tiago

Actually, I have studied. I have been studying the Drivers Handbook for quite sometime. I found out my sister is taking her test tomorrow so I thought I'd go with her. But, I was in need of what would be on the test, the main specific stuff. And also wanted to double check how much it'd cost. Everytime I ask for help on what wll actually be on the test, people tell me "Signs" etc, I thought someone who took the test could be more specific. But anyhow, thanks a lot for your help, really!

Charles

Yes they do have "signs" but it is hard to say which ones specifically because there are different question forms.

I think there are at least 5 differnt forms there. So it won't help for me to tell you what I had on the form if you get a different one.

I can tell you that they asked about penalty points and a few of the more "normal" signs but the best advice I can give is that it is multiple choice answers and if you have read the book and with a little common sense you should be able to get the required pass marks.

Good Luck!

Guest Tiago

I DID IT! I GOT MY G1 TODAY! IT WAS PRETTY EASY! EVEN THOUGH I DIDNT STUDY THE WHOLE BOOK, I PASSED! THE TEST WAS SIMPLE, MULTIPLE CHOICE, (1,2,3 OR 4) IT HAS EITHER A PICTURE FOR EVERY QUESTION OR A VIDEO SAMPLE, AND I THINK IT WAS A TOTAL OF 20 QUESTIONS. WHEN YOU CHOOSE AN ANSWER, AND YOU CLICK OK, IF ITS RIGHT IT GOES TO THE NEXT QUESTION, IF ITS NOT IT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT ONE. WHEN I WAS DONE, I ASKED A GUY WORKING THERE HOW MANY YOU CAN GET WRONG AND STILL PASS, HE TOLD ME 4. AND AT THE TIME I KNEW I HAD 5 OR 6 WRONG. I WAS SCARED AND READY TO EHAR I FAILED. THEN, AFTER WAITING FOR MY RESULTS FOR QUITE SOMETIME, MAYBE 10 MINUTES, I FOUND OUT I PASSED! HE ACTUALLY MEANT IT WAS 4 FOR EACH SECTION, THERES TWO SECTION, A TOTAL OF 8. I CANT WAIT TO START DRIVING MY SISTERS BOYFRIENDS MINI VAN AND MY DADS CAR TOMORROW, WOOO!

Charles

First of all Congratulations

Secondly

I CANT WAIT TO START DRIVING MY SISTERS BOYFRIENDS MINI VAN AND MY DADS CAR TOMORROW, WOOO!

As the Father of two teenage boys may I be the first to pass on commiserations to your father!!!! <_<