Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Calgary Diary I

CPU

Princess Island Park near Eau Claire Market, these photos were taken about two months ago.

Edited by CPU

Cathy K

So this is how it looks in summer! We saw it one October during a fairly heavy snowfall. It was still beautiful, though.

Cathy K.

CPU

Yup, the scenery looks great in the summer, at that time when I took the photos it was overcast. I occasionally go for a jog all the way to Edworthy Park and back along the path way.

Hendie

Hael in Calgary!

Vanmiddag so skuins na ses het ons seker die lekkerste haelbui gehad wat ek nog hier beleef het. Die kinders het skoon kopverloor - amper soos boesmans wat reën innie Kalahari beleef!

183700908_fb4abe9b64_m.jpg183701152_f1f520c9c3.jpg183697925_5cd710ddd7_m.jpg

Die haelkorrels was darem nie gevaarlik groot nie, daar was net BAIE daarvan! Kinders bly maar kinders, maakie saak hóé oud hulle word nie!

... en soos ek hier sit en skryf val daar nog elke nou en dan so 'n haelbuitjie. Daai lekker reuk net na die reën, ai hoe verlang ek nou Kaaptoe!

Harry

Hmmm...dit lyk lekker!

Hendie

2006Poster_5x7.jpg

Let the show BEGIN!

Today is parade day in Calgary. As I came in on the C-Train, the atmosphere was contagious, with moms and dads, wide-eyed toddlers, deck chairs in shoulder slung bags, grandmas and grandpas, stetsons and boots! Cowtown is alive with cowboys and cowgirls dressed for the occasion. For the next week corporate Calgary will be all but dead, and traditionally everyone knows THIS is not the week in which you can expect ANY productive work to be done ... unless you're a paid-by-the-hour consultant like myself of course!

Anyway, to all who have made the trek to Cowtown ,,,,

YAHOO!!!

Guest Barbara

We will be going to the Stampede tomorrow. We have tickets for the rodeo. Never seen a rodeo before so thought we should go once.

Last year we did the Grand Stand Show that was fantastic.

Hendie

Calgary Farmers Market

Dis altyd interessant hoe 'n mens jou eie blyplek beter leer ken wanneer daar kuiermense kom. So vandag nou: ek was vandag vir die eerste keer in die sowat sewe jaar wat ons hier bly by die Calgary Farmers Market!

185231949_13d1136595.jpg

Ouma het dit eendag in die verbyry raakgesien en ons is toe vandag daarheen om nader ondersoek in te stel. Was dít nou 'n verrassing! So wat van mooi vars vrugte en groente het ek lanklaas bymekaar gesien!

185230618_450f250415_m.jpg185230885_3d384be6a1_m.jpg185231424_00cb7f75fc_m.jpg185231531_bbb5349744_m.jpg

Moenie 'n fout maak nie, daar's nie juis vreeslike "bargains" nie; Lyné sê die meeste goed was duurder as by onse StupidStore, maar dit het alles so lekker gelyk dat ons met 'n vrag mielies, kersies, witwortels (vir ouma), en peulertjies daar weg is. Dit was regtig 'n belewenis, en ek kan dit vir enigiemand aanbeveel. Hulle is elke Saterdag en Sondag heeldag oop, en is geleë in Currie Barracks net wes van Crowchild Trail in die Suid-Weste.

185230754_de108f2e55_m.jpg185231167_e12bc3b105_m.jpg185231758_cb4d97c68a_m.jpg

:cowboy: Hendie

Hendie, mmmmmmmm daai vrugte lyk pragtig. Ek sal nie omgee om extra vir sulke pragtige vrugte en groente te betaal nie. Hier in Suid Afrika koop ons al die oorskiet wat nie uitvoer gehalte is nie. As jy goeie gehalte vrugte teen a belaglike prys will he dan moet jy dit by a plek soos Woolworths gaan koop.

Ek onthou nog, so paar jaar terug die lekker vrugte wat jy kon koop soos Outspan lemoene ens.

Groete,

BevBrad
Hendie, mmmmmmmm daai vrugte lyk pragtig. Ek sal nie omgee om extra vir sulke pragtige vrugte en groente te betaal nie. Hier in Suid Afrika koop ons al die oorskiet wat nie uitvoer gehalte is nie. As jy goeie gehalte vrugte teen a belaglike prys will he dan moet jy dit by a plek soos Woolworths gaan koop.

Ek onthou nog, so paar jaar terug die lekker vrugte wat jy kon koop soos Outspan lemoene ens.

Groete,

Hey, I know where all your quaility oranges and apples are, here in our local supermarkets in Halifax. It's quite surreal to go shopping and see SA fruit available! My only concern is that in order get here OK, they may have been picked a little too earlier as they don't seem to be as sweet as some of the NA ones. Or maybe I have had just one too many DQ Blizzards and can't taste anything anymore.

Brad

BevBrad, so that is where our good quality South African fruit is being exported to. Every summer I look forward to the one fruit weakness I have, yellow cling peaches. So far this summer, we have only been able to get yellow cling peaches that look like animal feed.

Part of our fruit problem is also due to near drought conditions that the cape has being experiencing.

:cowboy: Kind Regards,

Guest Barbara

Last night we went to the theatre to see Phantom at the Opera which is here in Calgary for 4 weeks. It was wonderful something I have always wanted to see. Now today off to the Rodeo and Stampede.

We find our weekends get so full during the summer. We like to get 4 camping trips in too. I start to panic a little in August that we might not fit everything in before winter but we always do. I mentioned my feeling of panic to a Canadian friend and was told “ All Canadian’s feel that sometime during the summer” Not sure if that’s true but it is something new to me. However I do LOVE the changing seasons and enjoy each season for what it has to offer.

Guest Barbara

Here are some photos from the Stampede today and from the Rodeo. Have to admit not really my cup of tea. But I am quite pleased with the photos.

Before the end of the day we got rained on and soaked to the skin. But a good day was had by all.

CPU

Free breakfast, lunch and entertainment during the Stampede week, the cowboy way! :cowboy:

stampede.0.jpg

Edited by CPU

Hendie

Just came across this beautiful picture of Calgary from the air. I wrote Sergey, the photographer for permission to post it. He wrote back and gave his consent, saying that he's also new to Canada, and understands the immigrant's plight. From his other pictures he seems involved with aviation, hence the aerial view:

144912620_0d99c51236.jpg

(Click for his other photographs)

Hennie van

Thank you for the photos! I have been wading through these links and photos for a few hours now, and it has provided me with priceless info and insights that no book can possibly provide. Barbara, Hendie, Role, Ann, Karen and others, you have obviously put in a huge amount of hours providing info to all of us working towards the BIG DECISION. It is appreciated. Especially the photos showing normal people having normal lives, picknicking (in shorts and swimwear!) next to the lakes, etc, has helped me make the final commitment to take the plunge from +48 degrees Celsius to -10.

Thanks to all of you, also Barbara for all the advice regarding the schools. We have 2 boys of 10 and 13, and we are currently living in Qatar in the Middle East as expats, and are busy with the residency paperwork for Canada. I am hoping to find employment in Calgary, so all this info was right on target.

Only one question: all the scouts in the snow and indoor soccer, is none of your children playing ice hockey? Our boys started playing ice hockey with a bunch of Canadians here in Qatar, and they are enjoying it tremendously. They can't wait to get to "Hockey-Mecca"

Edited by Hennie vdB

Guest Barbara

Welcome Hennie,

This site was what kept us going while we waited so now we just try to help others in the same boat. Glad you find the info worth while.

Good luck.

Hennie van

This website is advertised on SACanada's Calgary community link, but all the pages seem to be at least 2 years old. Has the website fallen into dis-use? Should I not bother browsing those pages?

Regards from Qatar, Hennie van den Berg

Guest Barbara

Did any one in Calgary today take photos of the mountains ? They were beautiful and clear and I didn't have my camera with me.

Tomorrow we are going to Fairmont I will take some photos and post them. Hope they are as clear as they were today.

Guest Barbara

Yesterday we went to Kananaskis and did a hike at Barrier Lake. Here are 2 photos one from the bottom and one from the top. It was beautiful.

Hendie

We may not have the rich selection of fall colours of the eastern provinces, but for about two weeks colours like these close to the Brentwood LRT Station in the Northwest adorn our fair city!

267505647_fd9645e4cd.jpg

Guest Barbara

Here is the view from our front door this morning. Not sure how long it will last but I still find it magical.

KateyLee

So pretty! But it must have been a shock also. I can't believe winter is just around the corner again.

Nelia

I am downtown and it has still not stopped snowing here in Calgary. This is the first time that the weather service got it right.

Cathy K

Yikes! And Charlene has to fly home from there tomorrow! :rolleyes: Hope the airport stays open.

Cathy K