Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Calgary Diary I

Pierre

A friend of mine works in one of these glass buildings. You cant wave from those buildings can you?

DSCF0637.JPG

Pierre

My company's headoffice is here as well. But Im not sure which one. Iv only been there once at the bottom floors.

DSCF0640.JPG

Pierre

The rockies are just lingering in the background...

DSCF0653.JPG

Pierre

And here are some of the houses in Douglasdale/Douglas ridge/douglas ridge green ... you have to pay attention to the exact name or you will get lost finding an address.

DSCF0544.JPG

Hendie

Coffee and Drive-Thru

Canadians are coffee crazy! I have never in my life seen so many different coffee shops and franchises. There is Second Cup, Starbucks, Good Earth Caf├ęs, The Gourmet Cup, Grabbajabba, Javahut, The Planet Coffee Roasters, and of course Tim Hortons!

TimHortons.jpg

And of course because this is also a fast food country, everything, including coffee, has to be drive-thru. As you can see here, most coffee shops have a drive-thru alley around the back where you order your coffee (and donuts!) from a voice enabled menu ...

DriveThruCoffee.jpg

... drive up to the service window, pay your money and get your caffeine shot for the moment! Of course all vehicles in North America are manufactured with cup holders. You will not find a car without these!

CupHolders.jpg

And not only do you get your coffee at the drive thru, banks also offer drive thru auto tellers all over town. So you really don't have to get out of your car to buy your morning injection!

DriveThruBanking.jpg

Tabbie

This clip, developed by Calgary Economic Development makes Calgary look like the place to be! Watch it.

Great advertising.. they just left out bits about the cold weather ;)

http://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopment.com/...vices/video.asp

Click on "High Res Video" 4.9mb

Hendie

Aggie Days

This past weekend was Aggie Days in Calgary. This is an annual event held at the Stampede grounds in downtown Calgary. It is an opportunity for families to take their kids to experience "farm" life. Almost like a mini agricultural show, but geared exclusively for the kids. To quote the blurb on their website : Aggie Days offers an "all senses hands on" unique learning approach and will occupy the entire 50,000 square feet of the Roundup Centre. The program includes agriculture demonstrations, and interactive displays, explaining agriculture in a very real way. Aggie Days takes place Saturday, March 20th and Sunday, March 21st. Children and adults can spend time together learning about agriculture through exhibits, demonstrations, games and fun activities at Family Fun Days.

aggie1.jpg

Most of the animals are within reach for the children to touch, like Heinrich and Laurie is gingerly doing here to this Hereford bull.

aggie2.jpg

Some other exhibits, like this horse shoe cladding compound are a little more hands-off, but still presented in a wonderfully educational way, and the kids get to see all the interesting things that normally happens in stables far off in the country.

aggie3.jpg

This exhibit was rather interesting; the kids were given these little wooden houses to "build" in this watershed demonstration. The exhibitor then opened a tap to allow "rain" and "floods" to fall, and the kids could then see the long term effect of erosion and wise lay-of-the-land decisions in erecting buildings.

aggie5.jpg

As with Liz in the agricultural show over on the east coast, there were Boer goats here too. We got to speak with a representative of the Canadian Boer Goat Association and found out that boer goats were introduced to Canada as recent as 1994 through importation of embrios from South Africa. Since then the industry has grown to a country wide farming endeavour!

aggie4.jpg

Hendie

LRT

Because of the safety (and fun) aspect of using public transport, an outing like that to Aggie Days this Sunday, is a fun time to make use of the Calgary LRT (Light Rail Transport). Our journey started at the station closest to our home in the North West of Calgary, Brentwood Station. This was the north western most station until recently when the new Dalhousie station opened about two kilometers further along Crowchild Trail.

lrt1.jpg

Paying for the ride is compulsary but based in large part on a trust system. An inspector may board the train at any time, and then you should have a valid ticket with you. I have used this mode of transport for many years, and in that time I can count the occurances of this happening on my one hand. Here Laurie is "validating" his ticket at a vending machine at the station.

lrt2.jpg

I took this photograph primarily to show you how clean everything is here. Calgarians are very proud of the fact that their city was recently voted the cleanest in the world!

lrt3.jpg

A map and time schedule on the platform is a handy reminder of when the next train will arrive, and what route to take to your destination. As one can see, trains arrive every 15minutes almost around the clock!

lrt4.jpg

Here you can see that even on a Sunday morning, the public transport system is well used. During rush hours on week days however this platform would be a lot more crowded!

lrt5.jpg

... and here is a train approaching Victoria station at the Stampede grounds, with the Calgary skyline in the background.

lrt6.jpg

Gautenger

Stunning pictures and a very interesting post, tyvm Hendie.

Hendie

Stampede a Comin' !

Just to whet your appetite a little: This small, rather unassuming, notice on a wall at the Stampede Grounds here in Calgary is the only sign that I know of that gives any indication of this major annual event on the Calgary calendar. You can be sure that I will post more pictures over the time leading up to Stampede time, so just be patient ....

stampede2004.jpg

Hendie

Spring is in the Air

For those of you drooling over the greenery in BC ... spring comes to Calgary as well, albeit a lot slower and initially less noticable. Saw these little flowers peeking through the dry grass on Nose Hill on Sunday ...

spring01small.jpg

Harry

HAH! Hendie has himself a crocus!

debbieD

That crocus is buried under 2 inches (or more) of snow. Yup! True to Calgary weather, we woke up to snowfall this morning. Yahoo! ;):lol:

Hendie

E-cycle Roundup!

This past weekend I once again had to be proud of this country. I had three old computers (REALLY old) sitting in my garage because I knew this event was going to come around again this year. The City of Calgary has embarked on a bold initiative to reach the goal of 80% recycling and only 20% landfilling by 2020. Towards this end they had an E-cycle Roundup this past weekend where you can go dump your old electronic equipment for recycling.

ecycle01.jpgecycle02.jpg

To read more on how Calgary recycles, visit their website.

Hendie

Strike up the Band!

Two weekends ago we had the privilege to be yet again entertained by our high school bands and choir. I have to admit that the first time we were invited to attend the year-end concert of the Sir Winston Churchill High School music department three years ago, my expectations were not very high. Not even the fact that it was held in the prestigious Rosza Center at the University of Calgary alerted me to the fact that this was a music program of very high caliber. I was amazed! The professionalism of the two "band" teachers, Ms. Wishloff and Mr. Graham was of outstanding quality, and the early morning trips to deliver our two girls to band practice paid off hansomly. We were almost literally "blown away". Justine, who is finishing her grade 12 year now, played the clarinet in the Symphonic Band, and Elsje, grade 10, sings in the choir, and is percussionist in the Concert Band and Percussion Ensemble. This year's Symphonic Band was also the first band with whom Ms. Wishloff attempted (and succeeded beyond expectations!) to do Carl Orff's very difficult Carmina Burana. I was really proud of my two daughters, and again immensely thankful that we have been able to afford our children this opportunity.

choir.jpg

symphband.jpg

debbieD

Go Flames Go! They beat Tampa Bay tonight 4-1. At the moment, Calgary is a good place to live if you're a hockey fan. :D

Harry

Congratulations, Calgary!

Hendie, congratulations on the performance of the young ladies, man. Did you take that top shot of the choir?....it is extremely well done and positioned!

Larry

Very interesting for us folk who may well end up in Calgary. More pictures, it is heading towards summer. Lets see some snaps of the City during this period. Spread the menu to cover a wider spectrum. We can get a fair idea of the weather at the same time. Where are the trees??? Show us some of houses and also those with garages :D

Springbok

I'll be able to add a number of photos of my own Calgary experience shortly. As soon as I can find the sheet explaining how to set up my webspace.

It has been a marvelous run for the Flames this spring. We are now one win away from the Stanley Cup! Last night, 50,000 + people jammed the Red Mile for fun and frivolity. Tomorrow is going to be a heck of a day to remember, if things work out.

(fingers crossed)

After the hockey ends, June is going to be crazy as I move into my new house in the West Hills area, and then we fall into the party known as Stampede!

Hendie

So, just WHO lost the Stanley Cup??!!

Tampa.JPG

Tampa, FL

Calgary.JPG

Calgary, AB

Calgary is one amazing city. The support that the Flames received from their fans here at home is just spectacular! I think it is once again a demonstration of the spirit of sportsmanship that makes this city the envy of many. It is just amazing how well behaved everyone has been throughout this whole Stanley Cup playoff period. Well done Calgary, you are the winners where it counts!

Hendie

Fall in Calgary

With all the efforts to regale our members and visitors with images of fall in Vancouver, it's probably justified to show you a little of the show that Calgary put up for the fall. I took these pictures a weekend or two ago ... since then almost all the leaves are gone!

post-2-1097126760_thumb.jpg

post-2-1097126795_thumb.jpg

post-2-1097126842_thumb.jpg

post-2-1097126853_thumb.jpg

post-2-1097126868_thumb.jpg

Hendie

PaSu Farm

Two weekends ago we had the pleasure of being invited to have lunch at PaSu Farm, about an hour's drive north west of Calgary. This farm, restaurant, boutique and tourist attraction was a welcome reprieve for four (now) city dwellers, and we simply relished the smells of chickens, sheep, and FARM out on the Alberta prairies.

pasu00.jpg

What struck me was how out of the way, and almost hidden away the farm was. One can easily drive right past it, was it not for the sign out front. However, after having a very informative chat with Sue Derosemond, wife of Pat, and owners of PaSu Parm, it soon became evident that out-of-the-way was exactly what Pat had been looking for when he decided to start a sheep farm on the Alberta plains...

pasu01.jpg

The restaurant is inside of a huge barn type structure, but surprisingly cozy and rustic, with the most wonderful African art decor. Off in the one corner is a wood stove, a shelf with some interesting books, and an easy chair for the occasional reader. The lunch was a set four course menu. We started off with a country style soup, then a delicious salad, an entree of either lamb, or beef (duh!), and then a choice of three deserts. A well prepared, no-nonsense farm lunch, and satisfyingly filling thank you!

pasu02.jpg

pasu03.jpg

pasu04.jpg

pasu05.jpg

The boutique has a wide selection of wool products, mementoes, and little trinkets that has the homemaker salivating with desire! The displays were very well done, with a distinctive fall theme, and rich, warm colours to feast the eyes.

pasu06.jpg

Sue herself was on duty, and talking to her about how PaSu came about, and how they experience life in the country in rural Alberta was the highlight of the afternoon. She seems a regular bundle of energy, and an accomplished ambassador for this haven of South Africa on the praries! I can wholeheartedly recommend a visit to PaSu Farm. Well done Pat and Sue!

pasu07.jpg

pasu08.jpg

Guest Zordak

Howzit folks... :D

I'm busy crawling the net for photos of Calgary and although there are some very nice ones out there, I can't seem to find any photos of what houses and suburban life in general out there looks like. My wife and I are busy studying Calgary in our spare time (since we want to go there when we finally get those PR cards one day).

So, does anybody have any nice photos of houses in Calgary? What do the suburbs look like in spring and winter (besides the snow! :D ). We'd love to get an idea in our minds so that we can have something clear to dream about in the time being. :D

Have an awesome day!

Cheers!

Charl

Cathy

Here is a teaser for other readers of this thread. I have e-mailed you my collection.

post-125-1106119056_thumb.jpg

malcolmJHB

Hi Cathy.

My wife and I are also interested in Calgary, could you please forward your collection onto us too ?

cheers

malcolm