Sign in to follow this  
Rayner

Ever wonder how many Youth SAns are out here?

Rayner

Hello My name is Rayner, it has been a long time since I've said something on this forum, so its time to get things going. Ever wonder how many(or if there are any) South Africans there are in Canada that are roughly the same age as you. Wonder if they have had similar experiences moving from SA to Canada and adjusting to life in Canada. Well If there are any youth out there please tell us about yourself, what you do for fun, what you think about Canada, experiences you've had here etc.

I'll Go First...

Name: Rayner

Grade:11

Sports:Rugby (yes, I play it here in Canada)

Live where?: Calgary, Alberta

Lived where in SA: Cape Town

What do I think about Canada? I really love it here. Even though I miss my School in SA and all my friends and family, I know that I have a better future here.

So what do you guys think about the weather in Canada? The Schools? The Canadians themselves?

Justine

Well I'll go next!

Name: Justine

Grade: 12 (diploma exams are no fun at all) ;)

Hobbies: Art, crafts, playing my clarinet, reading, and many other fun things... :P

Live where: Calgary, Alberta

Used to live in: Paarl, West Cape

Came to Canada: 11:45pm February 9, 1999 (I remember the time because my youngest brother's birthday started 15min after we arrived.)

Canada has been quite fun so far, not to mention the opportunity of going to Germany for 3 months as an exchange student. :D I have made many new friends in Canada and we really enjoy doing stuff like: going to the movies, going skating, visiting other people's houses, playing Ultimate Frisbee, B) etc. etc.

I don't know about other areas here in Canada, but Calgary has the wierdest weather I’ve ever encountered. :P You can go outside in the morning and be frozen, boil at noon, and get very wet at 4 and then slip around on ice at 6.

So that’s my two cents so far… over to the next person... ;)

Rayner

Come on guys, I'm pretty sure theres more than two of us

Elsje

Name:Elsje

Grade: 10

Hobbies: Sleeping, computers, reading and haning out with my friends

Live where: Calgary, Alberta

Used to live in: Paarl, Boland

Came to Canada: February 9, 1999

Hello everyone,

The schools are much better than in SA, but also really miss my friends. The weather is okay i guess, it is just too cold at times and too hot at others. The canadians are sometimes to polite. They say sorry even if they thought they bumped into me. Now I am learning their manners and I say SORRY when i yawn.

Next :blink:

Guest alice

Name: Alice

origin from SA: Jo' burg Gauteng (AKA crime capital of the world)

Hobbies: Hanging out w/ friends, listening to music, writing stuff, swimming

Sports: swimming

date of arrival in Canada: June 2003 (ja, im a newbie)

First impressions of Canada: The slang and dialect suck. i hate the way that they dont pronounce their words properly. Also the weather is very cold... but im loving the experience of this all. I love the freedom and the fact you can do basically whatever you want to. I miss my friends most of all, and ofcourse the friendly SA people. Still keeping up the lekker SA accent, and grrrrrrr im gonna go crazy if one more person asks if its british ne ways... this website is so cool, i luv talking to other SA peeps!!

Rayner

hi Alice

Welcome to Canada, 7 months now hey?

Do you like Toronto?, Its a big city. Hows school going for you?

TearsOfIce

Name: Marjorie (The Canadians can't pronounce it correctly)

Grade:10.

Sports: Swimming.

Live where?: Dauphin, Manitoba for now.

Lived where in SA: Bethal, Mpumalanga.

Arrival date in Canada: August 19, 2000.

What do I think about Canada? Its cold, that's for sure. I used to be in a private school in South Africa, so I've been homeschooled ever since we came here. I can't really say anything about the schools, but I've heard things. I've made friends here and they're nice people. I have nothing bad to say about the Canadians.

Guest Jean-Paul

Name: Jean

Living in: Vancouver, BC

Used to live: Pretoria, Gauteng

Arrival date in Canada: sometime August 2000

Grade: First year, university

I love it in Vancouver. The weather's good, it's never too cold, and sometimes during the winter there's a little snow. There's also always something to do... I'm hardly ever bored.

There are South Africans all over Vancouver. I already know of at least about six different families living in Vancouver, and more are immigrating every year. My dentist's aide is even a Namibian turned South African turned Canadian. There's also a shop selling South African stuff somewhere in the region I'm living in. I know of at three South African youths who went to the same high school I did. Two of them were in the same grade as myself and another is now in Grade 12.

MelissaE

Hey!

Well, my name is Melissa Erasmus and i live in Vancouver BC.

Im from Pretoria, SA.

Arrival date in Canada: August 1997

Sports: Figure Skating

Overall i am a fun person... i like long walks on the beach and romantic dinners. JK im just jokin. I love doin stuff.. haha yeah well anywayz... I think more ppl should reply!

Well, im gonna stop now.. ttyl!

Jean

Hi Melissa!

I live in Deep Cove on the North Shore in Vancouver. Where are you guys?

MelissaE

Hi! yeah i live near the safeway and library (in deap cove area, also where the road up to mt seymour is!)! watabout u? how old r u? how long have u been here?

Edited by MelissaE

Jean

I am Jean-Paul further above, but I've now registered as Jean. Our place is at the eastern edge of Deep Cove, with the house backed by the forest between Deep Cove and Indian River, more or less where that path goes through the forest down to Deep Cove Village

I'm 18 and I'm in First Year at University.

We arrived here in August 2000...so it's about 3-1/2 years.

Are you in Seycove or in Windsor?

Guest Guest_JesseW

Jesse (male)

grade 11

sports: Soccer, Field hockey, Used to play rugby

Live Now: Lynn Valley, North Vancouver BC

Used to live: Johannesburg

I've been here since i was 5, so u could say im quiet Canadian. But i still spend most holidays with an SA group in North Vancouver :lol: . I've been back since, and I think that I'll stick to Canada, it's nice.

Hi messisa and Jean, I live about 30 kons from u guz. I go to Argyle.

MelissaE

Hey Jean and Jesse!!!!!!! lol i live... wait.. i said that already... JEAN U GOTTA ANSWER MAN! plus i go to seycove... yup k well ttyl!

Edited by MelissaE

Guest summertimes

name: dalene canadians cant pronounce it either.

lived in sa: witbank mpumalanga

live now: calgary

grade:10

i already metioned what i like to do on the favourite things to do whatever topic. Is anyone going to the kanasie this year? Nways, what do i think of Canada. At first i didnt like it but now i love it. I love the freedom and all the people i've met here. I still hate the cold but the summers make up for it. I think the school i'm in is great. I have nice teachers and i like my option classes.

g2g now.

childofafrica

Hello julle, ek is 'n ma, nie 'n tiener nie B) maar ek het drie tieners wat op hierdie oomblik iewers saam vriende is. Ek wil graag weet of daar van julle is wat gehomeschool word hier in Langley of Vancouver rond?

Ronel (tannie Ronel, haha)

Guest Guest_Sonya

HI

I am in Grade 11, and am in a travel and tourism class where, I am doing a huge project on South Africa, and was wondering if any of you could answer some of my questions, my e-mail address is sheyen@hotmail.com, I would appreciate any help I can get,

Harry

Sonya,

It would be really cool if you could register with some sort of name ( does not have to be your own). That way the software we use will allow vistors here to e-mail you by simply clicking on the e-mail icon that will appear on your posts and your e-mail will even remain anonymous!

I suggest you say just a little bit about your interests and your project when you write your short little profile on the registration page.

Having registered, I suggest that you that you start a NEW TOPIC under General (Or under Youth if it is related only to youth). To start a new topic, just look at the right hand side below the listings

The folks here have been very supportive and helpful before with this kind of effort. If you have trouble registering or starting that topic, let me know via e-mail or Private Message. I have asked Justine to also try and help you.

Edited by Harry

Eckley

Yelo yal, :lol:

Name: Eckley

Grade:8

Sports:Cricket (Yes, in Canada)

Live where?: Calgary, Alberta

Lived where in SA: Paarl

It is fun. Yal should contribute more. It is fun to meet new people and to know that you are not the only South African here in Canada.

Keep going :lol:

Guest Elet

Hi im Elet! Im a 14 year old girl from Australia, I was born in South Africa and miss it very much! I just went back over the past Christmas Holidays! If and one wants to talk about South Africa or just what ever then just write back to me on this site! Hope to hear from you soon!

Justine

Hey Elet,

I would love to talk about South Africa. I know how hard it is for you to live so far away from South Africa! Cos, I live in Canada now. I was 12 when we came to Canada and am now almost 18. (July 2nd here I come) :cry: What would you like to talk about? I would like to know what you liked doing the most in South Africa. What was your favorite time of year?

When I was in SA I liked to hang out with my family (my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents) at the beach. :cry: We lived in the Cape. My cousins and I would go for a walk really early some mornings, back when it was still relatively safe to do so. We would then go to a small cafe and buy candy. We also liked to go swimming, and get nice brown tans, which is almost impossible to do in Canada. When we were at the beach itself we would catch fish in the rock pools and walk across the rocks with bare feet. ;)

My favorite time of the year was, and still is, Christmas!! :cry: Our family would get together at my grandmother’s farm and have a braai (or Bar-B-Q as the Canadians call it). Then the kids would go swimming, sometimes we would play soccer, tennis, or rugby.

Now it’s your turn. Anyone else got some memories to share?

Chere

Name : Chere

Now living : New Westminister, Vancouver, BC

University : Walla Walla

Hey Guys

Im Chere, just moved here 4 months ago..... Vancouver is beautiful reminds me alot of Cape Town which is sometimes comforting, but I really miss Joburg and all my friends !

The people have been really kind and welcoming which was very consoling to a point ! they are very different however but I am slowly adjusting to the lifestyle !

Its so great to know there are other kids out there from SA ! Thought I was one of the few youths around ! I guess its always hard in a new place at first ! But its harder when you're older ! hehe

So I guess we should all hook up for a Braai in Stanely Park or something hey ? hehe

Take care guys and have a great summer !

Laters !

Elsje

Hello Dalene

I also live in calgary, and was wondering what school are you going to.

Elsje

charissa8

hi all,

Name: charissa

Came here: April '94

i haven't spoken to anyone and i mean anyone from SA yet in calgary and i've been here for almost 11 years! where is everyone hiding?

Rain

Hi. My name is Shaun.

We arrived in Vancouver 2nd May 05. Almost six weeks ago and we are staying in Forest Grove Drive ,Burnaby. I am from Boksburg and I really miss my friends and family. I am 14yrs old and my sister Kim is 12yrs old, and we love Vancouver. My hobbies are BMXing. I play Cricket and field hockey. Hey! What happened to all the South Africans?!!!