Sign in to follow this  
Justine

Canada can be fun...

Justine

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

I think it's about time we start a new topic and rival the adult topics! Why are they the only ones who are allowed to have fun? It would be cool to know some of the fun and interesting (or maybe even wierd) experiences you've had in Canada. (and sleeping doesn't count :o )

Some of my personal experiences have had a lot to do with the Canadian slang. :oops: Boy is it hard to catch on to what people are saying when you have no idea what they mean by thing's like:

"You kick ;) man!" - Some guy wrote that on my pencil case and I was really offended, untill I found out that it means "you're cool"

Another strange Canadian phase that I came across was that: the thing you use to get rid of pencil markings on page is NOT a rubber but an eraser. (if you talk about a rubber you're talking about something completely different :cry: )

Well I know that you guys can come up with a few more Canadian phrases and experiences that others would find interesting.

Rita

:D Tipex is whiteout, pavement is the street, sidewalk is the pavement,trunk of the car is the boot etc. Its crazy how different the slang here is !!! B)

Ants

Here is some others...

A "paw-paw is a "papaya". "Granadilla"! Still haven't figured it out, a Kiwi friend was saying it was a "tangerella"?? I'm not sure we were talking about the same thing.

Then you don't get "biscuits" here, only "cookies".

You can't "switch off" the lights - you have to "turn out" the lights.

Then a "globe" is a "light bulb".

And I still call them "Robots". People think I'm crazy.

They hunt high & low for that "Robot" that is turning green. :ilikeit:

Bones

Never talk about a light bulb that has fused; they think that means the whole system has broken.

"pantyhose"/"tights" are usually called "nylons," (oh, and btw, they don't get "ladders," but "runs!")

If you used to go to Steer's steakhouse in SA, and are used to getting "monkeygland" sauce, ask for something different.... bbq sauce, or anything; they don't know what monkey gland is.

In winter, you'll wear a tuque if your ears are cold. A beanie is a hat with a propeller on top of it.

Power failures, are, of course, poweroutages here. Power failures are huge catastrophes, like what happened in NY and in Eastern Canada a couple of years ago.

Linda

Granadilla is referred to as passion fruit here

Biscuits here are actually what we ex-SA's refer to as scones (they eat them with breakfast mostly)

NEVER ask someone to "fetch" you - only dogs "fetch", always refer to it as "pick up"

Also have HUGE issues with the "robot" thing - cannot hook on to the "traffic lights" or "lights".

maggiemay

Then there is alluminium(s) which is pronounced aluminum. And which route (rowt) did you take to get to the store? I like to eat sweets, battling to get used to candy. I'm still learning to speak Canadian.

Maggiemay

Jakkals

Hi

Canadians give you a weird look if you talk about pushing a trolley in Safeway... they call it a shopping cart.

Is it a fashion trend to wear pajamas to school, or is it just because I live in Fort McMurray,AB Canada?

Did you know that drinking coffee (especially if you're a teenage Canadian guy) stunts your growth? :P Yet Canadian are addicted to Tim Hortons...

To show how much Canadians know about South Africa... when I first came here I met this one Canadian, she picked up on my accent and asked me where I'm from...when I told her I'm from SA she gave me a puzzled look and said: "But you're not black?"

What can I say? I'm in Canada, ey!

Eileen

nadia

Hey.. haha yeah, the Canadians do speak quite a bit different. But suprisingly i picked it up after a short while (with the help of some friends) .... well i guess that was after numerous times of being embarassed by a misunderstanding(s)! :D

When i came here no one understood me at school, because im afrikaans and my english wasn't too great. Their slang is really weird sometimes.. and embarassing moments do occur because of that.. haha. I think i learned to not call an eraser a "rubber" ever again.. that just leads everyone's minds to a total different direction of thoughts and they end up thinking im crazy or just plain weird. I cant remeber what all the different things were.. i think you guys mentioned most of them. One of the things that happened alot is when i say something and they hear something totally different.. and usually its something rather bizarre! Atleast you get a good laugh out of it..

nadia

Talya

In SA if you said 'just now' to someone, it meant in a little while, in Canada it means 'right now'. I remember going to dinner at a friends house and he kept asking my husband if he could get him another beer. Of course he kept saying 'just now' and our friend would disappear and come back with another beer. My hubby kept secreting them away at the side of the couch (not wanting to offend) and sure enough before long would get asked again if he wanted another beer to which he would reply "just now" and so it went on. Of course the friend has since learned about the difference in interpretation and we have a good laugh about it now! :lol:

GJH

One that has been forgotten is "Where do you stay" they have no idea what you are takling about. Here it is "Where do you live"

antovn

and getting :lol: and getting mad both mean getting angry.

Adele

I once told a Canadian colleague about: Seeing a bloke blowing his hooter at another bloke while the 2nd bloke was loading pot plants into his boot. :cry::lol::lol::lol: It was a scream when she explained to me 'in Canadian" what I had just said.

So next time you witness a man loading potted plants into his trunk, don't blow your horn. Just wait patiently and he will be done soon enough. Not just now though! :lol::lol::lol:

for those of you that need the direct translation:

bloke - man/guy

pot plants - should be potted plants otherwise you are referring to dope plants :)

hooter - is part of a woman's anatomy and the correct word is horn :P

boot - trunk :lol:

Rita
I once told a Canadian colleague about: Seeing a bloke blowing his hooter at another bloke while the 2nd bloke was loading pot plants into his boot. :(:):):D It was a scream when she explained to me 'in Canadian" what I had just said.

HAHA I could just imagine it...The look they would give you. I find no one here knows what a lichi (spelling?) is...yet had one the other day that was referred to as an eyeball!

Elsje
I find no one here knows what a lichi (spelling?) is...yet had one the other day that was referred to as an eyeball!

What we call a lichi they refer to as a Lychee Nut. The Asians know what it is.

HEHE

Alwyn

Except that Americans pronounce it like leychie and have no clue when we pronounce it as leechi.