Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Goedkoop bel SA toe!

Z_New

Hi guys,

Help!!

I have MSN, speakers and a microphone how do I get this thing going? when I dial the number in SA I get a message that I am phoning my PC? :D

What am I doing wrong? :unsure:

Thanks

Z

Wesley

The party you want to talk to also has to have MSN and they have to be online as well.

Open up a chat box to the person you want to talk to and then hit audio. They too will need speakers and a microphone for it to work.

Its a PC to PC connection not PC to phone.

Z_New

Thanks Gunting_man, I thought it was too easy. I have used MSN that way before to chat on the web but I thought that this was something new that would somehow "Modulate" the signal and get it to the recipient's phone at no cost :unsure: Silly hey :D

Z

Wesley

No problem!

I do find that there can be a bit of 'lag' at times though. Mostly its coming from the South African side because they are still using dial up.

Cathy

One thing I did find was not to try and multi-process on the SA side. When I tried to access the Internet at the same time the sound became jerky. Otherwise from this side it was just like talking on the telephone.

Karen

I see and speak to my Mom in SA using MSN and a webcam very often and it is most successful and so good to be able to see one another!

Daléne

Must say it's quite fun to chat hey Cathy. We were on MSN for about a hour during the weekend and it was like we were sitting down the road from each other! ;) Gotta love the Internet, it makes communication so incredibly easy.

dlam

Have anybody found another service provider that can also provide long distance for 29c a mnute to your country of choice? I am fed up with Primus. It is now the second consecutive month that I have problem connecting to Namibia. I hate it if I want to get quickly a hold of my mother and the phone is not working and it is on my side, not even theirs that you can blame Africa :o I even make sure that my account is in good record witht hem and then they thank me with service like this !!!

This is really frustrating. One day I'm going to need the service for emergency and then this will happen.

So, any other providers available that gives better service?

digin

I use Sun Telecom here in Vancouver - they are even cheaper than Primus - and have been more reliable.

Kolla

Ek stem saam Primus se konneksies na Afrika toe het die laaste klompie maande ergerlik versleg tot die punt dat toe Telus nou eendag weer bel en se hulle het n 'spesiale aanbod" op lang afstand bel, het ek nie eens 2 keer gedink om van Primus ontslae te raak nie.

Ek het ook geen probleme gehad om van diensverskaffer te skuif nie. In die verlede het die ou diensverskaffer, in die geval Primus, altyd gebel en jou as klient probeer hou, maar hulle het geen poging aangewend om my te kontak nadat Telus my gewerf het nie. So hulle het ons waarskynlik nie meer nodig nie. Telus het als gereel en die oorskakeling het soos altyd in die verlede seepglad verloop. Nou het ek nooit n probleem om deur te kom na n nommer in SA nie en die lyne is altyd baie duidelik en dis kwaliteit diens.

dlam

Ek het besluit op Sprint Canada. Hulle vra my 29c/minuut na Namibie. Dan 5c na ure en naweke in Canada en die US. Deur die dag dan nou 10 c. Dis dieselfde wat ek by Primus betaal het. Primus vra 'n service charge can 4.95 maandeliks en Sprint Canada 2.95 (wat jy op die website sien) plus 3.99 (wat hull eoor die foon se wat nie op die website verskyn nie). Dus is hull ehier duurder as Primus, maar as ek beter service gaan kry, dan betaal ek nou maar die paar rand extra.

Suntelecom was bietjie duur Namibie toe. hulle vra my 49c/minuut en dan 5c bin Canada en US enige tyd van die dag vir die Global One plan. Daar is geen service charges by betrokk enie, maar my somme se vir my dat die 49c nog steeds duurder uitwerk met SunTelecom as Sprint Canada.

Vir Sprint Canada is die Platinum Plan natuurlik die beste, aar daarid eservice is nie beskikbaar in Edmonton nie. ekhe tnie vir Nobelcom probeer nie, want ek hou nie van foonkaarte nie.

ek sal nou kyk hoe dit gaan.

dlam

Bietjie terugvoering. Ek het Donderdag wat verby is, vir die eerste keer op Sprint Canada my ma gebel en sy se vir die eerste keer het sy nie nodig gehad om te raai wat ek se nie. Dit was asof ek haar gebel het vanuit dieselfde dorp. Ek moes lankal al vir Primus gelos het lyk dit vir my. So, ek is heel tevrede met Sprint Canada tot dusver.

Guest Guest_JANA

Ek is ook by Sprint nadat ek my so vervies het vir Primus. Nog nooit probleme ondervind nie en hulle het al twee maal gebel om te hoor of ons gelukkig is met die diens. Ek sal hulle defnitief aanbeveel.

Heinrich

Ek woon in Manitoba, en hier uit die platteland, bel ek alle ure (24/7) teen 13c (Cdn) per minuut na Suid-Afrika toe. Oproepe na enige plek in Noord-Amerika kos 6.5c (Cdn). Ek kry hierdie diens by West Can Group en hulle het my nog net goeie diens gegee die afgelope 6 maande.

Guest Rooibok

Probeer hulle gerus

www.g3telecom.com

Calling rates from Canadian cities to South Africa

Cellular $0.35

All of South Africa $0.12

Canada and USA $0.04

Larry

You must have internet connection to view this forum, and for you folk living in Canada with broad band connections the cheapest means of chatting to your family and other in SA or for that matter all over the world would be to use one of the Instant messengers. That way you can also have a conference with more then 2 people. With an analogue line on the South African side the sound could be rather poor, but text is no problem and you could communicate a lot more at very little cost on the South African side. Your video image can also be displayed both ways if the connection speed is good.

You would also get to chat to a lot of the folk in SA that are looking to network with people in Canada for numerous reasons.

Karen

Buy one of the many calling cards available. Their rates are much better than the phone companies'. In the GTA, I like the CiCi card, which has no connection fee, but there are many, many others around too.

Iza

Rooibok,

Is dit 0.12 Canadian cents of 0.12 US cents per minute na SA?

Groete

Iza

Gautenger

I must agree with Larry, why phone home when you can have a video conference over the net. It costs your family in SA for the 'call', but we don't mind - we're used to paying through our necks and at least this way we get to see you which makes it so much better.

Karen

Today I discovered the Joy card!

1.8 cents a min to Australia

4.7 cents a min to SA

Beat that!

Eugene

I can beat that..........

..........just do not phone SA at all :(

Hendie

Vonage is one of a new breed of companies offering VoIP (Voice over IP) services. My good friend Rhynier told me about this recently. He says that they've switched to Vonage as a family and that the service is really good. For the basic $20 per month package you get services like :

• 500 minutes per month anywhere in Canada and the US
  • calls to South Africa @ (US) 12c / minute!
  • Voice Mail
  • Caller ID
  • Call Waiting
  • Call Forwarding
  • 3-Way Calling
  • Free In-Network Calling
  • ... and more!

All you need is a broadband (cable or DSL) Internet connection.

I have just signed up for this service and I will keep you posted on my experience of it.

Cobus

Just a few quick notes

Telus I recently investigated communication costs and got interesting info. The new people should check this out before you purchase any communication services

Sprint and Telus both have internet phones for about CAD19 per month. It look like normal phone but plug into a high speed connection. If one has a Toronto internet phone one can take this internet phone to Paris France or Vancouver and call Toronto as if one is in Toronto - it can also receive calls anywhere in the world wherever one plug the phone into ahigh speed connection, as if one is in the office in Toronto.

I compared the cost of High Speed (DSL) with two phone lines and two cell phones (all from Bell - 700 minutes) against a combination of services from ww.fido.ca www.sprint.ca and wwwprimus.ca and could get it all CAD 76 cheaper per month !

Fido provide a service to people in Greater Toronto Area and Vancouver area, whereby they can transfer a landline to a cell and then all incoming and outgoing calls (whilst insode the city) is free. City Fido Oaky Fido is old news to most of us.

Go to ww.Skype.com and download an interface and call South Africa at CAD3,30 per minute. One has to buy minutes in Euro's. One can buy Euro 10, 25 or 50 witha credit card through a secure site. The rate to SA is Euro 0,071 per minute. If one use the currency convertor Currency Convertor you wil see

that Euro 0,071 is CAD 0,11 or USD 0,09 or CAD3,300 for 30 minutes. One can use credit card to purchase these minutes. A PC is used to dail, but one can call a landline/normal phone anywhere in the world.

Lekker gesels

Cobus Kriek

Co-Moderator Immigration Section

Adele

Cobus,

Couldn't find the phone you mention on the Telus website. Please PM me if needs be.

MANY THANKS

Talita

Ons gebruik 10 10 580 na Suid Afrika en betaal dat 15c/minuut. Jy kan ook aansluit vir $20 / jaar en dat kry jy soveel gratis oproepe as wat jy kan maak na die dorpe in jou provinsie (met 'n kode wat jy net eers moet bel). Ons gebruik dit en dit werk wonderlik.

Jy moet net registreer op hulle webwerf: www.onlinetel.ca