Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Goedkoop bel SA toe!

Kolla

I made a quick comparison between Primus & Sun, and it seems Sun is better value for money at this stage.

Anyone switched to Sun lately ? I would love to know how you find them.

Primus per minute

Canada & US daytime 10 c and after hours 5c

SA - 39 c

UK - 7 c

Monthly Fee : 3.95

Sun per minute

Canada 7c and US 8c - Anytime

SA 18c

SA cell 47 c

UK 6c

Monthly Fee : 2.95

miena

Another one. I use it as a std. to SA (not Christmas then reg Bell)

http://www.yak.com/

Jhb. 37c Land, 49c Cell

Great quality otherwise

Eugene

Just to add to YAK.

I use YAK to call SA/USA. I use it to make the initial call, to make sure the people are home. I then use looneycall, which is a company of YAK. This service charges $1/10 minutes to SA, and $1/30 min, to USA. So, if you need to speak for longer, simply call back using 10-15-565. If you speak longer than the 10/30 minutes the rate jumps up again.

note: if you use looneycall first, and you get an answereing machine, you will be charged $1.

Guest Guest_Dick

I'm not sure about "Sun's" billing methods. Check out the follwoing before you switch over!

"Flat Rate Billing - Pay only for the service you use. Billing in 6-second increments with a 30-second minimum is standard for all calls"

I could not find anywhere that they bill their customers on a minute by minute basis for international calls. The only time they refer to minute billing is with regards to US and Canadian calls.

Please let me know if i interpreted this correctly.

Thnaks

Dick

Guest Art

I found this company saved me money calling home.

www.3kissld.com/rightresults

is the one I used another one is

www.riterateld.com/rightresults

Jana

so ver is ek nog baie tevrede met Sprint, die lyn is helder, ek kom die eerste keer deur en ek kan actaully my gesprek klaarmaak! ek wag nou nog net vir die rekening.

drbotha

Hi

There is a website CallKey that runs a call managing sevice, Canada to SA or any where at US4cents/min. Register online, open an account which they deduct from your credit card after sending you an invoice. I have tried it today for the first time and it realy works well. You place your call on the website and when you hit" Dial" your phone rings and you are connected to the number you placed. You can see online when you connect and your bill(small) going up as the minutes tic by.

shaun

I've tried all the various cards, and have found one in particular that seems to work well, with no connection problems in the GTA. The SIFA card comes in $5 and $10 cards. When I first started using it last year July the call time was 180 minutes for $10. I never got 180 minutes out of it, but closer to 120 minutes. This works out to just over 8c/min.

With the last card that I bought the voice prompt gave me 133 minutes for $10. This is just over 7.5c/min. I haven't used up the card yet but have been logging actual time used and will post the results once complete. At the rate that its going looks like I'll get about 90 minutes out of it. Thats 11c/min which is a lot better than what Bell can give even with a long distance frequent phone plan.

Harry

We started using Looneycall in November last year and it works brilliantly at 10 minutes for $1CAD. We have never used anything else to SA since then. I read about it on this thread in Eugene's earlier post. I have yet to find anything at all that beats it when you really do the numbers. All the phonecards paint one into a corner some way or another...just like Fido on cellphone services....... If you don't use it, you lose it.

shaun

Harry

You are right about the phonecards. I just read some new "fine print" on the one that I got here. 25c deducted weekly once it has been used for the first time. That was never there before.

Guest Guest_Heleen

Ons het so 3 maande terug oorgeskakel van Primus na Sun Telecom, en ons is baie tevrede, hulle vra 18c/min na SA en die lyne is asook die deur skakeling is beter.

Ek beveel hulle regtig aan.

Rochelle

I’ve tried most of the phone cards out there (Giant, Mango, Premier, etc), and have learnt the hard way about connection fees, maintenance costs, taxes, billing intervals, and all those nice things that make the advertised rate of 6c per minute end up about four times that! ;) Ironically, I’ve ended up working for a company called Datawave, and long-distance phone cards are one of our products!

Currently I use Datawave’s Easycaller card, and I can promise you, there are NO other costs involved. On a $5 card, you will get 34 minutes flat to SA. Guaranteed! They also come in denominations of $10 and $20, at the same rate. Of course with staff discount, I can phone to SA for only 11c/minute!! But even the 14c is worth it, as the quality of the call is fantastic. I have not once experienced a busy number, lags, crackling … it’s like making a local call.

Shame, Primus phoned me last night to try and sell me their program, and the best they could offer was 33c. The poor lady didn’t know what to say when I told her about the rate I’m getting. She ended the conversation!

I find it’s better in terms of self-discipline to use the card system. My folks know they get a 34 minute phone call, and at $5 you can do it every week. See, last week I had a $10 card, and promptly flattened it chatting to my mom! So I can just imagine how bad I’ll be if I had to be on a long-distance plan without the “Beep-beep, you’ve got one minute left for this call” to keep me in tow!!!! ;)

But ultimately, it all depends on whether you talk for 30 minutes flat, or you want to make 3 x 10min calls when you have to choose a service to use. And then of course what quality line you require. Whatever suits your style!

Edited by Rochelle

Guest Barbara

Hello Rochelle

I have been wondering how you have settled.

Regards

LisaLou

I have being doing a small comparison of phone cards and this is basically what I have found out

CiCi (14.4c) $5 - 34min, $10 - 69min, $20 - 138min (this card is the one to use for multiply calls)

First Choice (12c) $5 - 41min, $10 - 83min, $20 - 166min

Gold (12.3c) $5 - 40min, $10 - 80min, $20 - 161min

The above mentioned phoned cards all had positive feedback

Cards to be careful of :

Hot

Much

First

M & M

Mango

Ola

Sifa

Talk ZOne

The best card

The NO connection fee card

Tiger

Primus - talkbroadband is offering calls to SA for 10c, has anyone here switched over to broadband, and how does it rate

Edited by LisaLou

Guest Rooibok

Probeer hulle gerus

www.g3telecom.com

Calling rates from Canadian cities to South Africa

Cellular $0.35

All of South Africa $0.12

shaun

here's a report back on the phone card that I was using.

Brand : Sifa

price : $10

advertised call time : 133mins ( automated voice prompt " you have 133minutes for this call") at the beginning of the first call made.

actual call time: 96 minutes (only used for SA calls) total call time.

number of calls made : 6

Only once was I denied a connection, with the message being all the lines are busy, retry later (fourth time in eight months).

The quality of the connection was perfect during all the calls.

A (new) "25c deduction per week once pin number is activated" rule has been applied to the card.

LisaLou

I have to disagree with the Gold card. I find the connection very bad and usually deteriates further as the call goes on, to a point where it finally cuts you off. It has happened every time I've used the Gold card, no matter what time of day or night you phone.

I think that a lot of factors together determine the quality of the service and not just the brand name of the card or service provider. One of the biggest factors being the area that you are calling from.

Cathy

Lot's of discussion about cheap phone calls but how many of you have tried the "free" option. Last night I had a one hour chat to a Toronto member all for the cost of my local call to our ISP. 2 speakers a microphone and an MSN account and we were away. The clarity was superb it was just like talking on the landline to someone in Johannesburg. I suppose the downside is the time delay but there are always weekends. I have even managed to educate my "elderly" mother to use MSN. Try it it's fun.

One can go one step further and add a webcam so that you can see each other something you can never do when phoning home.

Harry

Shaun, LisaLou, Rooibok & Barbara...

Is there something you guys know that I don't?

Have you tried Looneycall and found it wanting, or is there another reason why you are not using dialaround technology? It seems so brazenly simple to me at 10c a minute. No hassles with buying cards or any "if you don't use it, you lose it"- problems.

You guys make me feel like I am missing something important...what is it?

Harry
I suppose the downside is the time delay but there are always weekends.

Cathy, wat bedoel jy met hierdie opmerking...ek sukkel om te verstaan.

Cathy

I was just thinking that with the 7 to 10 hour time difference during the week if you want to communicate in the evenings us folks are usually asleep.

shaun

For me its a case of I'm just to lazy to have to redial every 10 minutes.

If we do phone to SA, then it's usually a long call. The same rate applies throught out the length of the call when using the cards.

I just used a card over a two week period. Card was $10.

Over two weeks I lost 50c worth of call time (25c/week).

I managed to squeeze 96minutes of talk time out of it.

Not taking taxes and all into account 950c (price of card - 50c) divide by 96 minutes = 9.9c/min.

With Looneycall the price would have been the same, except that you break every 10 minutes.

I wonder if you guys in BC would get the same call time as in Ontario out of a card. Would be interesting to see.

I kept a number of constants while trying this "experiment", ie I dialed the same destination number for all the calls and always called at the same time during the day.

I have in the past and do still use looneycall for short calls, or when I don't have a card.

Harry

Ah...I thought you were suffering delays in the actual transmission!

digin

I use Sun Telecom cos I'm just too lazy to use a card or time myself using Looneycall. I get 15c a minute to South Africa.

Wesley

I haven't used a phonecard or our phone service for quite while now.

I've found that using audio on msn or icq works works very efficiently.

Wesley

I just mentioned this in the other thread before seeing this!

MSN audio works great. I've saved hundreds from using this method.