Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Goedkoop bel SA toe!

ROOIBOK

Iza,

Jammer vir die laat antwoord op jou vraag: Is dit 0.12 Canadian cents of 0.12 US cents per minute na SA?

Dit is 12c Kanadees.

Maar ek sien Karen het iets beter daar beet

Today I discovered the Joy card!

1.8 cents a min to Australia

4.7 cents a min to SA

Wonder wat is die Joy card??

GerhardB

Lynette het die goedkoopste opsie deur van MSN gebruik te maak. As jy die gesig aan die ander kant wil sien, kan jy 'n "web cam" koop en op jou rekenaar installeer.

drbotha

Hi, die goedkoopste is om `n Phonebuster kaart te koop,"low connection fee" op die www.thephonecardstore.ca webwerf.Dit is net 4.9sent can /min.Die ander opsie is www.callkey.com en is baie goedkoop veral Engeland toe.

Danie

Karen

If you download www.skype.com , you can chat via the internet for free to your loved ones in SA. Get yourself a user name and tell all of your family and friends to download and do the same and start chatting away and saving!

If anyone wants to chat to me, and I can when I am at my PC, call Karen550511 and I would be happy to hear from you.

Edited by Karen

Kolla

Thanks Karen and every one else who recommended Skype. I downloaded it recently and I am surprised at how easy it was to phone from my pc to a landline in SA.

I am using my pc's speakers and only bought a really inexpensive little microphone ( for just in case it does not really works well, my thoughts were to later upgrade to a fancier one, if I see that I like the service ) and low and behold .... it really works well !

I had my long distance with Telus and having recently again received my statement, I did some calculations. They bill a Long Distance Admin Fee $ 4.95 + a Monthly Subscription Fee $1.95 + 7% GST = $ 7.38 in admin and tax before you have made one single long distance call !

Now with Skype I can talk at least 60 minutes for that amount to my loved ones in SA from my pc to their landline. It really works well, its almost as if we have a conference call, me and the kids talk around the microphone to eg my mom and its so much better than talking on the phone as she only tells us the recent news once and we on this side can hear and ask questions and make comments, its almost as if we are sitting around the kitchen table and chit chatting to each other. The connections are good, voice quality were good and I didnt experience any lagging time, its almost instant to get a response from them in SA.

Pc to pc for those in SA it will be the cost of a local call p min to talk to someone in Canada. Pc to pc its free anywhere in the world. I also saw on the Skype messageboard, if you want to learn a foreign language, you can connect with someone far away and practice a bit eg if you want to learn French for instance.

To download Skype : http://www.skype.com/

International rates from your pc to a land or mobile phone :

http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/

- Its less than 12 c p min to a SA land line - To South Africa - Euro 0.071c rate p minute

To South Africa - Mobile Euro 0.189

If you phone to landlines often, then you buy SkypeOut credits online with your credit card, access is instant after you have paid and it look like a secure site. You pay in Euros, the smallest amount you can buy online is 10 Euro's.

Here is a convenient currency converter site :

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Eg 10.00 EURO = 15.9689 CAD and @ 0.071 Euro p min that should give me more than 130 minutes to SA, if my calculations are correct.

What's also nice about Skype is that while you talk, you can see how many minutes and seconds the duration of the call is, on your screen right in front of you and you will have a My Call list page where you can check your long distance calls eg :

My call list - April 2005

Date Number Destination Rate/min. Duration Price

Apr 10 19:59 +27120000000 South Africa €0.071 20:46 €1.491

It works much the same as MSN where you can see who of your contacts are online and you can, while you chat with someone via your microphone and someone else tries to phone you, then you can quickly make contact with the incomming caller by typing a message eg " Hello, I am Skyping someone at the moment, when I finish this call, I will Skype you. Talk to you in a bit !"

Great features on there and real easy to use and get to know. Those of you that have Skype, are welcome to add me as ' gerrilene ' and you are welcome to say hi and then we can chat for a bit from time to time.

Thanks again for those who got the word out about Skype, its indeed a very useful, money saving service.

Edited by Kolla

LisaLou

I also use Skype and have just ended a call to SA. I sell stuff on Ebay and have the money paid into my paypal account, then I use this money to top up my Skype account.

If you don't want to use a credit card online then open up a paypal account, and you can take money straight out of your banking accounts.

Hope this helps

Lisa

Bones

I haven't read the last page of the forum, so if this one has already been mentioned before, don't shoot me for it :lol:

Best deal: the Superstore No connection fee long distance phone card

No connection fees, no fees charged if it's out of use, provided you use it within one year. They come in $5.00, $10.00 and $20.00. Rate works out to 5c per minute to Pretoria, though it's somehow about double that to Johannesburg. I've never called another city. Seems to make no difference whether you call to a cell or landline.

Superstore Kelowna has, unfortunately, stopped keeping these, though. I've been most happy to find that Superstore Metrotown still has them.

CeeEee

Hey everyone,

Just thought to share my phonecard find with you guys. I don't know what sort of system everyone uses to contact home in SA...but I have tried all kinds of methods. I used to talk on the net using paltalk and msn,my family bought phonecards at crazy rates and scratchy connections etc.

For the past couple of years I have been using a particular prepaid phonecard which works great! Back when I was still doing the long distance relationship thing with my now husband,he used to call me to SA every weekend...and I get to call my family now that I am here.

The website is ontariophonecards.ca, and I prefer to use the Talkie Talkie card. You get 209 minutes of talk time for $10.The connection is crystal clear and there is no delay at all.Obviously in reality you don't get a full 209 minutes, but it is pretty close.I get about 2 and a half hours out of a card when I call twice on it...which means I get charged twice for a connection fee.

You get local access numbers to use,so you only pay for the local call...and then you enter a password and the number,including all the usual codes and such.

If anyone has a cheaper and equally reliable and high quality way to hear much loved voices from SA, I would be happy to give those a try too. Using the internet to chat with the family proved to be a bit of a waste, as they are still on super slow dial-up which costs my poor parents WAY too much.

Hope my phonecard info helps some of you chat with your peeps back home for cheaper and longer.

CeeEee :P

ROOIBOK

Ek gebruik vir 'n geruime tyd www.g3telecom.com

Kyk gerus, tarief is 8c per minuut

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

We also use Skype from the US. Works great. :ph34r:

Nathan

Ek het die bes foonkaart gevind! Die kaart sy noem is "Five plus Five". Met hierdie kaart ek kan omtrent 200 min met vrou praat. As jy kan dit kry, jy moet! Ek het amper elke kaartjie probeer wat hulle maak en ek dink hierdie een is die bes!

Nellie

:D Hello Almal

Ons is nou eers twee maande hier. Ons kommunikeer met die familie deur Skype (www.skype.com) op my man se rekenaar. Mens moet ongelukkig hoe spoed internet he vir dit maar dit bring die koste van enige oproep baie af

Guest Barbara

A friend recomended this compnay www.G3Telecom.com 7c per minute to SA she has used them for years.

Hendrik W

Here in Toronto, we use Rogers as a service provider. They charge $1 CAD per month to subscribe to their long distance calling plan and then you pay between 4c CAD and highest 9c CAD per minute to phone to SA, depending on the day and the time.

Wessel

:o

johankok

If your people happen to have broadband (ADSL, 3G or Cable) in SA -- Then it would cost nothing to call PC-to-PC. I happen to have a phone that has skype on, and could use that to call (using 3G) as well. The latter would be against my 3G bandwidth cost.

Bones

I've also recently found that switching to Vonage is a good thing: costs MUCH less per month, and SA calls are 7c per minute (up to 9c per minute, depending on city). It's an actual phone, which helps :)

Smith007

MAGIC JACK

Has anyone had experience with this item? If so please share your experience with us.

I spoke to a friend of mine who purchased 2 Magic Jacks' He GAVE EACH an AMERICAN Address ( I think he said you can also provide a Canadian Address too) when setting up the phone upon receipt of it - He sent one of them to his family abroad and now he pays $19.95 respectively a YEAR and essensially pays $1.67 per month to talk to his family AS WELL AS anywhere else in the World for as long as he wants as often as he likes etc etc

It works on laptops normal landline telephone sets ....

Click here

Official Magic Jack web site

Edited by Smith007

Neeven Soodyall

I don't know much how being able to stay in contact with relatives and friends abroad contributes to being a successful immigrant. It has always given me peace of mind to be able to chat with them. To that end, free internet messengers like Skype, Yahoo! and Windows Live Messenger have been very useful. In addiciton, I have been using VoipRaider, an Internet-based application to make free calls within North America and to over 30 other countries. It is ridiculously inexpensive (just under US 1 cent/minute) to South African landlines. It also functions as a switchboard to connect one phone to another via. VOIP albeit at a slight premium. After creating your username and password, you have to deposit US$10 into your account which remains intact for calls to 'free' countries but gets eroded at the relevant rate as you call the rest. I don't know whether the same rates apply to calls in the reverse direction. Just for the record, I don't work for this company nor earn anything for referring people.

Edited by Neeven Soodyall

happystones

I looked into the cards, but don't want to punch a code in to call, and long distance plans and things that charge monthly fees, or connection fees, don't make sense and eat my money.

www.justdial.ca is what I use

It is a pre pay system, and you register your phone numbers on your account. So you can use it from your cell or home, put your kid's phones also on.

Then you dial a local number to justdial, and then your next phone number, that is it. No computer, no high speed, good old phone, any phone.

You can use other phones too with the access code.

SA landlines 5.75c per minute, UK is 2c per minute.

That is close to the lowest out there, and no fees, easy to use. Like I said, others charge a monthly fee, and you would need fees for every phone.

Anyway, give it a look.

PS, I looked at the ontariophonecards.ca site, what a confusing system, and hundreds of cards, each with their own little catch, 7% fees, 20c minimum, 15c after 3 minutes, whre do they get all that?

Edited by happystones

campbel

I now use voip raider i have used most others in the past the thing i like i have free incoming calls on my cell phone so before i leave for work i type in the number in sa and my cell phone number via the computer it then phones my cell phone and then connects to the number in SA 6 cents a minute. or you dial a voip Calgary number on your home phone then you dial your SA number about 2 cents a minute works great

Neeven Soodyall

We have been using with abandon an online tool called VoipRaider to call South Africa and the rest of the world. You download and install an application from their website just as you would any Internet Messenger like Skype, Yahoo! or Windows Live Messenger.

The rate is US 1 cent ($0.007)/min to SA landlines and around $0.11 to SA cell phones. At this rate, we don't think twice to call all-and-sundry and spend an hour on the phone for just two quarters and a dime. It gets better. Calls to all North American landlines and cell phones are FREE. But wait, there's more (I couldn't wait to use that line...:lol:). Calls to landlines in over 30 countries including the UK, most of Europe and Australia are...you guessed it...free.

What's the catch? Nothing that I've found but stand to be corrected! Other than that you have to use your computer and an Internet headset/mic such as you would with Skype, etc., I haven't found one. I don't have a Skypephone so can't say whether you could use it with VoipRaider. My laptop has Bluetooth which I occasionally pair with my Bluetooth headset and that works fine with this application. So, if I'm in a WiFi Hotspot, I essentially call most of the world for free and can still move around unencumbered within bluetooth range.

If you're only comfortable with a handset to your ear on a call, there's an interesting feature whereby you use the application to specify the number of the phone from which the call is originating (for example, your cell or home phone), and the destination number. The originating phone rings and once you answer, you wait and the destination phone rings. Once that phone is picked up, you get connected and continue your conversation as if you were in a phone-to-phone call with VoipRaider acting as a sort-of switchboard. It's slightly more expensive to call this way.

I don't know if there's an Apple Mac or iPhone version of the application but check out their website.

The only area where some initial users may be wary (and I wasn't) is that you have to pre-pay online with a credit card or PayPal for at least $10 worth of time. This balance gets eroded on a per minute (rather than per second) basis whenever you call destinations that aren't free. I figured $10 was not too much to risk. We currently call SA for an hour-at-a-time at least once-a-week and it feels like it's taking forever to erode our balance. Compared to when we first arrived here 6 years again and trod carefully around the phone, we now truly take for granted the ability to call the world for next-to-nothing.

The quality and reliability of the calls is superb. I don't hesitate to call make 'official' calls this way. You sometimes hear a slight lag or that infamous 'helium voice' when bandwidth gets squeezed; just don't check your e-mail or download large files whilst you're on a call.

There's no reason the reverse process shouldn't work too. I gave my dad in SA my username and password and he successfully called me on my cell without eroding my balance. Unfortunately, he was either tinkering with his e-mail or viewing something on Youtube and the call got dropped a couple of times. When you deal with septuagenarians, don't always trust that they're doing what you tell them to.

campbel

You do not have to use a computer on voip raider some were on the account page you type in phone numbers home cell etc then theres a toll free number for voip you then dail the toll no. it recognises you because you have put in your phone number in. it then asks you to dail your sa number so i do not even use the computer any more .if your not sure what im talking about my cell no 403-3977141 and ill explain it

campbel

EvB
Die meeste van julle weet seker nou al van Primus vir goedkoop langafstand telefoontariewe, maar ek het onlangs 'n goedkoper opsie gesien, klink amper te goed om waar te wees.

NOBELcom bied foonkaarte aan met so laag as US9.4c per minuut!

Probeer ook Skype credits. Jy betaal 7c p/m SA landlyn toe. Ek gebruik net skype credits. Dowload en installeer skype. Registreer dan vir skype credits en betaal met jou kredietkaart. Jy kan ook auto re-charge aktiveer om self $14 te laai as die credits daal onder $3. ek gebruik nie die opsie nie net om kontrole oor kostes te kan he. Vir my werk dit die beste (todat ek Neeven se post lees). Gaan verseker verder op sy post ingaan

Groete

Edited by EvB

Ria

Het julle al die Shaw Long Distance Plan probeer? Ek vind dit goedkoop en gerieflik. Dink dis 6c/min na SA landlyne .

Registreer daarvoor en betaal vooruit met kredietkaart 'n bedrag, geen ekstra fooie of probleme .

hagar

Vonage available in Canada? I pay $32 a month for unlimited calls in the US and Canada (and parts of Europe). Calls to SA is 10 cents a minute, cell phones 25 cents. Been real happy with their service.