Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

220V AC Appliances In Canada

shaun

The reason why you can't find any plugs is because the whole appliance is either CSA, ESA, ULC, ULUS, or some other rating approved.

When you remove the plug, the rating is no longer valid. If you bring an unrated appliance into your home, obviously you have no rating.

When there is a fire, the insurance company will look at these changes and pay out (NOT) accordingly. 

It was a pain in the posterior when I worked as a building technician in my earlier years and had to check every power tool and extension cord of the contractors coming into the building. Any changes or defects to the tools meant it was not permitted in the building. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hennie vdB

@shaun, thanks for that, it explains a lot. I also could never understand why electric lawnmowers and edge cutters came without the cord - now it makes sense.

• Like 1

MargueriteE

Hi. 

I'm not an Electrician thus all seems a bit confusing to me. Bottom line if we want to take any appliances with to CA we need to get a transformer to reduce it to 120V?  Can anyone explain. I have a kitchen aid mixer and PS4 we want to take with. As far as I know both were made outside SA. 

corwes

For the PS4 you wont need a transformer, it has a switch mode power supply that can accept a broad range of voltages. You will just need a different power cord that is about $8 at BestBuy. For the mixer you will need a transformer and that must be a big one of at least 500 watt. 

• Thanks 1

OutOfSa
12 hours ago, MargueriteE said:

Hi. 

I'm not an Electrician thus all seems a bit confusing to me. Bottom line if we want to take any appliances with to CA we need to get a transformer to reduce it to 120V?  Can anyone explain. I have a kitchen aid mixer and PS4 we want to take with. As far as I know both were made outside SA. 

Why answer in 1 line when you can write a thesis !!!! :blush: Cause I'm old now, and that's what happens to old farts.  

So there's a tad of confusion here.... you need to get a transformer to get 110V -> 220V.  (increase or step-up.)

.......................Skip to "Conclusion" if you're not in the mood for a science lesson.

There are some Caveats - as Corwes says you'll need a big transformer (a genuinely rated one might weigh 10Kg.)  I had a 300W  (or VA) one wound in SA for me (properly) and it's about 7Kg.   Beware the Chinese units as they say "1000W...." - but no.....  Also, there is the matter of how much energy you need - whatever the SA appliance at : 220V is pulling from the transformer, it's doubled when it's pulled from Canuck 110V outlet.

For example, a Canadian wall plug can supply say 15 Amps "energy", that means that the maximum a 220V appliance can have (after step-up) is 7.5Amps =  or about 1600 Watts.  (Science says you can't get something from nothing ! You can only fiddle the numbers around.  )

There are other lighter methods to change 110v -> 220V (called switching supplies) same false claims abound.  Beware ebay and Kijiji (Gumtree of Canada). 

Let there be light !  :sleep:

What most people don't realise is that 220V enters Canadian homes.  So it's right there in the "fuse box" or breaker board. It's used to run the stove, hob, tumble drier and water heater (usually.)  There is a difference in this power, it's 60 Hertz, SA is 50 Hertz.  In almost all cases this is not an issue unless the item you intend to run, runs for long periods - like continuously.  Certain types of motors will spin faster which creates issues.  Or if it's an old-school power clock, then your going to gain time (about 17%faster time) each day !

Back to the 220V.  If you own your place, or make pals with / seduce a tame electrician, you can have a 220 outlet installed.  It uses a different plug so you don't blow stuff up.

Most other gizmo's as Corwes pointed out are now universal 110 - 220V 50/60 Hz.    Usually Play stations, Xbox's etc are.  But do look at the label, as my PS3 (old) only works on 220V - which was annoying.  

Many of us hung on to dear possessions and lugged them here only to regret it. 

1) Stuff here can be seriously cheap if you catch the right sale (real sales) and

2)  Sometimes you don't want that thing anymore as EVERYTHING you thought you wanted an knew changes.

Of course if an item is special (sentimental) then bring it over - even if it's 220V - it can be run in Canada one way or the other.

Good luck and may the magic smoke remain in all your equipment, because if it comes out, the thing won't work anymore !!!:D (Nerd joke)

And now that you are totally confused... I am king at doing that no matter how hard I try to construct a logical set of statements.

New words today are Volts, Amps, Power and apparent power or VA. Oh, and Hertz (not car rental) - hertz (Hz) is how many times the power switched per second 50 or 60.  Clear as mud.  

SA uses 220V AC, 50Hz      and Canada  110V AC 60 HZ.  and of course by sneaky electrician connections you can have ( 220V AC 60Hz too). 

Why the difference?   USA and Canada opted for the lower voltage to lessen electrocutions among other reasons.  I work a lot with Canadian power and I can tell you I definitely prefer being electrocuted by Canadian 110V to SA's 220.   110 is kinder, 220 just hurts like hell. 

In Conclusion:

Almost anything will work in Canada / can be made to work.  If it's special bring it, if it's not ditch it and get another better one here.  (Not your spouse !  The gizmo !!!)

Finally if you intend on doing in house home brew electrical work, when the electrician seduction failed, take note that North American wire colours make little sense.  Hot is (Black) and Neutral is (White).  Colonials tend to use red/brown as "Hot"  which they call "live" and blue / black !!!!  as "neutral".  You can see the potential for a SA experienced person to fail badly in a Canadian breaker board.  Luckily both groups agreed on Green / Yellow for earth.  

Purists, engineers, Sheldon Cooper : Chill, Power vs VA, Loses ,efficiency and heat not added into the monologue, it's already confusing enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2