Sign in to follow this  
Kolla

PaSu Sheep Farm near Calgary

Kolla

I saw this restaurant review today and thought I have heard that the farm is well worth a visit ( 90 minutes north of Calgary ) and that the owners are immigrants from SA.

Have a look at their website : http://www.pasu.com/

Calgary Sun - 2003-10-19

Don’t pass on Pasu Farm

With its homespun flair and lively flavours, living off the fat of the land at this farm is simply grand

Little Bo Peep was to finally find her sheep. And though the wooly critters were visible from a distance on this scenic farm, baby Sophia was entranced by a sheep dog harassing a small gaggle of goats.

Visitors to Pasu Farm can browse through a boutique of crafts and apparel dominated by sheepskin and wool items, as well as dig into a Sunday carvery buffet that kicks off at noon in the adjoining barn-like dining hall.

With a panoramic view of the Rockies and autumn’s brilliant finery in the foreground, we dug into a salad of field greens and romaine lettuce with olive oil and vinegar as dressings, along with a creamier option.

An Oriental noodle salad with red peppers and ham was delectable — ginger, sesame seed oil, garlic, cilantro and flat-leafed parsley conjured an almost perfumed savour.

A mushroom with red onion and fresh strawberries combo, marinated in a strawberry-balsamic dressing was a tartly delicious.

A small selection of cheeses — brie, blue cheese and a three-year-old white cheddar — was for devotees of pungent fromage.

I indulged my love of olives by picking through a tidy, tasty selection of the savouries.

The farm also supplied a wholesomely satisfying beef and vegetable barley soup.

Among the hot selections was a succulent roast chicken, comprised almost entirely by white meat.

I enjoyed a lovely slab of bloodily-rare roast beef topped with a light, delicately flavoured gravy that was also splashed onto tastefully seasoned roast potato wedges.

But the centrepiece of this buffet is undoubtedly the lamb,whose juicy, melt-in-your-mouth meat was embedded with cloves of garlic.

Mine was doused with a superb homemade mint sauce — devouring this treat made me feel just a morsel of pity for vegetarians.

To accompany the lamb, chicken and beef were carrots speckled with dill and a pea and corn medley.

The sweet table rose to the occasion with a bumbleberry pie — a complex symphony of flavours with its raspberry, Saskatoons, apple and blueberries anchored to a thick, crumbly crust.

Mizue couldn’t resist seconds of the puff pastries drizzled in chocolate, while a tasty lemon cheesecake was light enough to allow a sampling of it and all the other desserts.

I’m no fan of bread pudding, but the farm’s version, studded with raisins, apricots and various nuts, was irresistible.

With its homespun flair and lively flavours, living off the fat of the land at Pasu Farm is simply grand.

• • • • •

PASU FARM

3 km S. of Hwy. 580,

southwest of Carstairs

PH: 403-337-2800

FOOD: 4 out of 5

AMBIENCE: 4 out of 5

SERVICE: 4 out of 5

Carvery buffet

RECOMMENDED: Lamb

PRICE: Adults, $18.96; kids under 10, $9.95

CREDIT CARDS: Interac, MC, Visa

WHEELCHAIRS: Restaurant, washrooms — yes

Hannetjie

Ons het eenkeer op pad terug vanaf Edmonton hier gestop vir middagete. Dit was heerlik en die uitsig op die berge ongelooflik. Hier het ek die lekkerste skaaptjoppies (klein maar lekker dik gesny) geëet sedert ons amper 3 jaar terug hier in Calgary geland het. Gaan kuier gerus daar - dis die ekstra draaitjie werd.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

At the recommendation of Loerie, we visited the PaSu farm restaurant/gift shop today for their Sunday buffet.

About 45 mins from our Calgary hotel.

I can 100% recommend the food, hospitality, artsy items in the gift shop, atmosphere of the place, the restfulness of the farm...it was a beautiful time.

Food is great too!

Photos of the place here: http://redmaplepublishing.smugmug.com/AlbertaCanada/PASU-Farm/19317621_FtZkg9#1509493496_KnV98QR