Sign in to follow this  
Captain Slow

Immigrating as a remote worker

Captain Slow

Hi all,

Like many people these days, I work remotely. I work as a 3D artist for a company that has gone fully remote. As such, I can live anywhere and still do the job. What routes are open to me to immigrate to Canada while keeping my current job?

MaryJane

Hi @Captain Slow

I'd say pretty much any route except for work permit and study routes, if you don't need or plan to do those.

The norm would be to go through Express Entry and if you find that your points are lower than ideal, then perhaps look at PNPs, in particular those that do not require job offers.

Captain Slow

One thing that I should also add is that I never attended school or university. Now this hasn't had any impact on my career as employers only care about the quality of my portfolio, and my job is skill level A. But I'm not sure how my chances would be affected.

Edited by Captain Slow

LidiaS77

Canada places a very high value on qualifications when immigrating. I think without any kind of qualification it will unfortunately be unlikely that you would be able to go through Express Entry as your score would probably be too low. In your industry having a qualification might not be as important to employers, but you would still need to be eligible to work in Canada first by following an immigration route (or getting a work permit for a specific job). It sounds like your best bet would maybe be to try and get a job offer at a Canadian company and then a work permit, or complete a degree/diploma that will boost your score (if you're still young and won't lose too many points for age). You can start by calculating your current CRS score for Express Entry here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. You can then see what you would need to do to get a higher score e.g. a qualification or perhaps you can learn French (if you can't speak it currently) and then get the highest score on the French test. The most recent general minimum score chosen was 468 so if yours is significantly lower than this then it means it might be best to look at another route. It might be worthwhile to take an in-depth look at each PNP and other immigration program that Canada offers to see if there are any opportunities there. Also keep in mind that if you're married or in a common-law relationship and your partner has a qualification then it might be possible to go through Express Entry if they're the main applicant and gets a higher score. All the best on your journey!

Captain Slow
1 minute ago, LidiaS77 said:

Canada places a very high value on qualifications when immigrating. I think without any kind of qualification it will unfortunately be unlikely that you would be able to go through Express Entry as your score would probably be too low. In your industry having a qualification might not be as important to employers, but you would still need to be eligible to work in Canada first by following an immigration route (or getting a work permit for a specific job). It sounds like your best bet would maybe be to try and get a job offer at a Canadian company and then a work permit, or complete a degree/diploma that will boost your score (if you're still young and won't lose too many points for age). You can start by calculating your current CRS score for Express Entry here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. You can then see what you would need to do to get a higher score e.g. a qualification or perhaps you can learn French (if you can't speak it currently) and then get the highest score on the French test. The most recent general minimum score chosen was 468 so if yours is significantly lower than this then it means it might be best to look at another route. It might be worthwhile to take an in-depth look at each PNP and other immigration program that Canada offers to see if there are any opportunities there. Also keep in mind that if you're married or in a common-law relationship and your partner has a qualification then it might be possible to go through Express Entry if they're the main applicant and gets a higher score. All the best on your journey!

According to that calculator, I get a score of 318. Unfortunately, I am monolingual, single (:(), and do not currently have the time to really do any studying.

Captain Slow
5 minutes ago, Lizelle said:

Have a look and see if any of these countries will work for you:

https://expertvagabond.com/digital-nomad-work-visas/

That's very interesting, thanks. I hadn't heard of digital nomad visas. I'm glad to see some countries are moving with the times and recognizing the need for new visas to suit remote working needs.

Reibtseb

Also, note that your SA salary is very likely around half or less of what you will earn here, unless you're paid in USD already.

Captain Slow
Just now, Reibtseb said:

Also, note that your SA salary is very likely around half or less of what you will earn here, unless you're paid in USD already.

Yeah, I wouldn't think of trying for at least a year when hopefully I'll be earning more. I just want to know what the realistic options are now.