Mori

Is there a city/town that is equivalent to Cape Town?

Mori

Are there any cities in Ontario that is sort of "the Cape Town of Canada"? So medium size and population, a slower pace of life and a water source (not necessarily ocean) .

(I assume Toronto would be Ontatio's Johannesburg) 

MaryJane

I've been told the BC area.

JohanR

Most cities in Ontario have a water source or is close to a water source (Rivers or lakes). More fresh water here than in most places I have been to.

Ottawa is reasonably slower pace than Toronto, so looking at larger cities, Ottawa would be more like Cape Town and Toronto more like JHB. Spent 2 years in Toronto and moved to Ottawa bit more than a year ago. Slower pace and I only spend (Pre-Covid) 25 minutes to get to work here as opposed between 1-2 hours in Toronto. 

BC weather more aligned with Cape Town I believe

Nelline

Halifax in NS would be my guess

hdub07

Maybe St Catherine’s or Niagara-on-the-Lake. Bear in mind the population of Cape Town is 4.6mn and those two cities are probably around 100k. 

Jules

Specifically in Ontario the closest you would get to something similar to Cape Town would be the  Niagara-on-the-lake town which reminds me of the Cape wine route (in the summer obviously). It’s a little out of the way for commuting and rather expensive considering how far it is from the city (about 70km form Hamilton and about 150km from Toronto). 

I view Niagara as a town and not a city. In fact Niagara on the Lake is a small town.

But here’s a solid piece of advice: don’t try to recreate SA in Canada otherwise you will never settle and be happy. You are leaving SA, and Canada is nothing like SA. If you want to find SA in Canada you will search forever because SA is unique. So is Canada. I’m not saying you need to turn your back on SA but be very careful about trying to recreate what you have decided to leave behind. It’s hard to live with feet planted in two separate places. 

• Like 1

novascot

Not in Ontario, but Vancouver/Victoria would be comparable to CT