Sign in to follow this  
logan

Relocating within CA

logan

Hi all,

I'm about to ask that strange question that has a simple answer, but that we all typically ask because we need to make quick estimates.

The answer is of course: contact a moving company and get a quote. However, I'm not at that stage yet. I need to know if it is worth considering, before actually considering it. So, here goes: does anybody have some inkling as to what it would roughly cost to move (two bedroom apt) from Winnipeg to Kitchener? (I just need to be somewhere on the cricket-field. If it is going to be 10k, then I know my response immediately. If it is going to be 5K, then I'll contact a moving company and get a quote).

Additionally, I have an offer from a college in Kitchener. Any advice on areas to look for renting/leasing (houses and apts)?

Cheerio!

Gary van der Westhuizen

Hi Logan 

We recently moved, and used a local company. They charged us $145 per hour + tax. It took them about 7 hours to pack and unpack our 3 bedroom condo (About 1400 square feet), and we packed all the boxes ourselves, so it was just big things. 

I am sure you can rent a u-haul and do it yourself much cheaper if you have a pair of extra hands that can help and you are up for the challenge. 

Not sure how they would charge the driving time though. Hope it helps. 

Lizelle

Every time we moved in Canada we used PODS (https://www.pods.ca/).  It cost us significantly less than any moving company. You can get a quote on their website that gives you an idea of what it will cost you. Their customer service is excellent.  

MaryJane

U-haul? Meh. I've done it twice and both were not very good experiences. The last one was a nail in the coffin. I'm never using U-haul again after that.

Booking is a hot mess. You book it online at one place on a specific day and when you get there, it's not available. You eventually find a vehicle, after driving all over town at every u-haul store. The issue is of course you can't find a back up then, since you've already arranged to move that day.

On the return, the rental is like $19.95 for the day (so yes, on paper it looks cheap), but if you take all things into consideration as you return it, it ends up costing you just about the same as if you'd gotten a mover. The hassle is really not worth it.

My experience is specific to U-haul though, but there are other rental companies that could probably fare better.

Jules

My wild guess is that it will be in $5,000 to $6,000 range door to door if you are willing to box things yourself and leave the heavy stuff to the movers. A local move like that (boxes plus heavy items into a truck) would run up to $2,000 charge from the movers, so I’m guessing another $3,000 - $4,000 for long distance shipping. 

Kitchener is a nice town and within driving distance of the entire GTA. Weather will be much better than Winnipeg. 

logan

Thanks everyone,

In the end I decided against the move -- the fit just wasn't right.

On 8/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, Lizelle said:

Every time we moved in Canada we used PODS (https://www.pods.ca/)

This just seems like such an awesome idea! I'll definitely check them out should we need to move.

Cheerio!