ZAtoCD

Biometrics During COVID-19

ZAtoCD

Hi all! I hope everyone is keeping as well as possible. :)

I'm happy to say my application is processing well, and I got my biometrics request letter a few days ago. Naturally, I'd like to do this as soon as possible, but unfortunately the VFS offices for Canada in Cape Town and Pretoria are closed.

Does anyone have any info as to when they might reopen? We just went into a new (level 2) lock-down phase, and I'm not sure if that has any bearing. I have 90 days, but obviously I'd like to go sooner rather than later.

The website just says "closed until further notice", which is a bit frustrating. Would it be the Canadian or South African government deciding when those VFS centers reopen?

Thanks! :)

Deirdre

Million dollar question, really hope&pray for all of us biometrics, applications etc start to progress in Level 2

ZAtoCD
11 hours ago, Deirdre said:

Million dollar question, really hope&pray for all of us biometrics, applications etc start to progress in Level 2

Any idea whether it's the decision of the Canadian government of the South African government as to whether to reopen those two VFS centers?

Rozita

I'd like to know about this as well.  It's disconcerting seeing so many centres around the world opening up besides our own.

MaryJane

I think Canada dictates whether to open or close the VFS centres (treating the VFS centres like diplomatic missions). However, since a pandemic level is based on environment/surroundings, the situation in SA will play a dominant role in making the determination of whether to open the centres or not. Plus, I suppose whether they have safety/sanitation/cleaning protocol to ensure the VFS centres are "cleaned" every day it's open.

Hang tight, guys.

ZAtoCD
On 8/21/2020 at 4:23 AM, MaryJane said:

I think Canada dictates whether to open or close the VFS centres (treating the VFS centres like diplomatic missions). However, since a pandemic level is based on environment/surroundings, the situation in SA will play a dominant role in making the determination of whether to open the centres or not. Plus, I suppose whether they have safety/sanitation/cleaning protocol to ensure the VFS centres are "cleaned" every day it's open.

Hang tight, guys.

Thanks! That makes sense. At least the rest of the application continues to process despite no biometrics.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:53 AM, Rozita said:

I'd like to know about this as well.  It's disconcerting seeing so many centres around the world opening up besides our own.

Indeed. From info on this VFS Global website, it seems Canada reopened many centers on 24 August, including quite a few in Africa: https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/individuals/covid-19-customer-advisories.html.

Deirdre

IMG_20200902_191229.jpg

• Thanks 1