Sign in to follow this  
novascot

How to file a zero return? And which details to change on SARS profile?

novascot

Hello

I've been in Canada since Dec 2018 and filed my SARS tax return last year like I normally would, but didn't change any details.

Can anybody tell me which details I have to change on my profile? Do I have to put in my Canadian address and phone number?

Additionally, when filing this year, I will be submitting a zero/empty return. I have not financially emigrated, but don't live in or have a home in SA. Was only back in SA for 3 weeks in 2019.

Do I mark the box that says "Mark if you ceased to be a resident of RSA during this year of assessment."?

And the next question asks "Were you unemployed for the full year of assessment and did not receive any income...". 

I've been employed for the year of assessment in Canda, but not at all in SA. Does this question only apply to SA?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks 

MaryJane

Hey @novascot

I'll share what I did....

On 7/16/2020 at 1:52 PM, novascot said:

Can anybody tell me which details I have to change on my profile? Do I have to put in my Canadian address and phone number?

I put in my Canadian address.

Do I mark the box that says "Mark if you ceased to be a resident of RSA during this year of assessment."?

I believe this is a yes. I say this because I didn't do it then since this box was non-existent when I left SA at the time. I know people who've ticked this box after they've left and it triggered a SARS audit. I am told that it wasn't specifically bad but it was hectic for a couple of days (as all audits seem to get that reaction). However, since you left in 2018, shouldn't you have done this for the 2019 tax return? This is just a question, not meant to start a panic. I know that once you tick that box, it will ask you for the date. Just be prepared for the audit, gather your documents.

And the next question asks "Were you unemployed for the full year of assessment and did not receive any income...". 

I said yes because I had rent income in SA. My understanding of income as per SARS is that it is (tax) residency based. If you are considered non-tax resident, you are taxed on income from SA source only. I know there were talks of changes in recent years (something about taxing on worldwide income), I don't know if it has taken effect or anything so take this last one with a grain of salt.

As you can see from my answers, I am no longer as clued up with SARS as I once (used to think I) was. My situation is that I never financially emigrated, had rent income for a while and eventually sold the house. I filed returns up to the time I sold the house. After which, I phoned and sent follow-up emails to get SARS to de-register me.

Hope this helps somewhat. Some of our current active members may also be able to share their experience and process. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

novascot

Thanks MaryJane, appreciate your feedback