AdamCT

Continuing UNISA studies in Canada

AdamCT

Hi all. We live in Edmonton and are considering continuing our UNISA studies while here.

We were hoping to get some assistance regarding the "foreign fee levy", the Calgary exam venue (or any closer to us?) and whether it may be possible to transfer some / most of the credits to another Canadian correspondence university?

Thanks and looking forward to your reply!

Jules

You shouldn’t have problems getting credits recognized in Canada after an approved evaluation is done (Wes.org for example). 
But I do assume it’s a long slow process for WES to get the info from UNISA. 

I did that about 10 years ago when I was thinking of doing additional studies in Canada through Athabasca University (I may have spelled it wrong). Process took about 2 months but I hear it is a lot longer these days. 

AdamCT

Thanks for the reply Jules.

WES did verify my other degrees but not this one (in progress) and I would prefer not to go through the process again.

Do you think that without the independent verification (i.e. WES) it would be a challenge to get the courses credited?

And any other Canadian distance universities you would recommend?

Thanks again.

Jules
On 5/20/2020 at 8:33 AM, AdamCT said:

Thanks for the reply Jules.

WES did verify my other degrees but not this one (in progress) and I would prefer not to go through the process again.

Do you think that without the independent verification (i.e. WES) it would be a challenge to get the courses credited?

And any other Canadian distance universities you would recommend?

Thanks again.

Doesn’t have to be done by WES but I do assume one needs some accredited authority to validate what you have studied to get the transfer credits. The Canadian university won’t do that step. One way or the other it’s going to be a long process unfortunately. 

TJG

Hi Adam, my wife completed the final year of her UNISA degree here in Canada, the process was fairly painless using UNISA's online portal, for payments and study material, and writing exams at Seneca College, Markham, ON (the closest exam venue to us).   

However, and this is a big however, she graduated at the end of last year and she is still waiting for here for her degree certificate & transcripts, and trying to get hold of an accountable person at UNISA from Canada during Covid, is impossible.

The foreign levy wasn't too be, if I recall correctly, especially if you're paying in CAD.

If you would like to enroll for a program at a Canadian University, I think most review your transcripts and curriculum, and assign credits based on that.

We have a lot of foreign students here, reach out to the university of your choice online, I'm sure you will get a response.