Nettie

FINES/ARRESTS IF NOT SELF ISOLATING FOR 2 WEEKS AFTER INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

Nettie

"“This doesn’t mean that you go to the grocery store or go to the drug store or go fill up with gas and then you go home and self-isolate. This means you go home. And you stay home now,” Moe said at a news conference.

(Saskatchewan Premier)

https://theprovince.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/saskatchewan-opening-daycares-for-covid-19-responders/wcm/c4b59ddf-d2db-48fe-9c1e-2dc5f602bbb2

Other provinces may follow:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-governments-threaten-fines-arrests-to-enforce-covid-19-isolation/

Annasofe13

Good morning,

If there are any Saffas landing in the Waterloo Region that need to self isolate, please feel free to give me a shout if you need groceries, I would like to help those that need to self isolate, but need groceries.

Stay safe,

Anna

• Like 2

vinceb

It's annoying to say the least, we arrived from Mexico last night and took a taxi to go home and woke up this morning to read that taxi travel from airport to home has been prohibited, how is a person supposed to get home? Our kids are far away and when we tried the delivery service from 3 different chain stores, we could not get anyone to deliver within 3 days, all booked up. Luckily a friend was kind enough to buy groceries for us and leave them on our front door step. It is all very well making rules and insisting on observance but when those very same rules leave people bereft, what then.

The trip back from Mexico was shambolic, the airport crowded with hundreds of people trying to get back to Canada - some going to Quebec, others to Toronto and some to Calgary, and basically the Airline (which will remain unnamed) sent an email to some who had booked flights and basically told them that their flights had been cancelled and if they wished to travel back to Canada, there would be repatriation flights on such and such a date and if they wanted a seat, they should present themselves at the airport. I cannot think of a better way to encourage cross transmission of infection than the chaotic crowding of people at the airport in Mexico. A little communication goes a long way and it would have been better organized and much less frenetic if representatives of the airline had been present to orderly orchestrate everybody who wished to travel back.

Jules

Yeah I was wondering how the heck people get home from the airport if they used a taxi or public transit to get to the airport before they left. And what if there’s no food at home?

Not everyone has access to a social network or extended family. Online shopping for groceries has huge wait times. 

Flashie

What is IRCC's recommended plan for people who are expecting to arrive June/July/August this year, without any local connections? Where are we supposed to self-quarantine at? My plan before Covid-19 was to book into a Backpackers for a week and find a more long term rental for my international studies from there. How are we intended to quarantine if we don't have a dwelling to do so in?

On 3/23/2020 at 10:22 PM, Nettie said:

"“This doesn’t mean that you go to the grocery store or go to the drug store or go fill up with gas and then you go home and self-isolate. This means you go home. And you stay home now,” Moe said at a news conference.

(Saskatchewan Premier)

If this quote is anything to go by, then those of us who arrive from international travel without any local social-connections are just expected to survive the 2 weeks, without access to food 🤔 I guess maybe Scott Moe can go without food for 2 weeks but I sure can't.

I'd love some clarity on the specifics of the matter.

Nelline
9 hours ago, Flashie said:

What is IRCC's recommended plan for people who are expecting to arrive June/July/August this year, without any local connections? Where are we supposed to self-quarantine at? My plan before Covid-19 was to book into a Backpackers for a week and find a more long term rental for my international studies from there. How are we intended to quarantine if we don't have a dwelling to do so in?

If this quote is anything to go by, then those of us who arrive from international travel without any local social-connections are just expected to survive the 2 weeks, without access to food 🤔 I guess maybe Scott Moe can go without food for 2 weeks but I sure can't.

Many newcomers make use of "vacation" rental spots for the first few weeks. There are many, many online ordering options for grocery delivery (and many other necessary things) 

You shall be fed! 😘

• Like 1

Nelline
Just now, Nelline said:

Many newcomers make use of "vacation" rental spots for the first few weeks. There are many, many online ordering options for grocery delivery (and many other necessary things) 

You shall be fed! 😘

Also, depending on where you land, you'll be surprised at how many ex-Saffas will rally around to help as needed. 

• Like 1

Nettie
On 3/31/2020 at 6:56 AM, Flashie said:

I would suggest calling the airport where you are flying into for the most current information. Pearson in Toronto has been very helpful to someone I know and also very friendly. They had no problem finding a car, however, finding a place to stay to self-isolate was challenging. In the end they did find something. Nelline is right, you can order in and they will deliver to your door. 

I just found helpful information from this webiste: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html