fry

Moving during the Covid-19 epidemic

Recommended Posts

PhilipCX
On 3/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, MaryJane said:

@archiryan123

Just an FYI, if you haven't applied for insurance yet.

OHIP is waiving the 3-month waiting period during these unprecedented times - https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2020/03/ontario-expands-coverage-for-care.html

That is great news thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fry

@OHCANADAAA did you guys end up flying on Saturday? If so, let us know how it went.

From our side we are still waiting, reading and watching what is happening. The landscape is changing weekly so who knows what things will be like in May. The house is sold so we will need to be out by the end of April-ish. Really interesting times!

@archiryan123 your news does not sound good. It is not nice to finally land in your new country and not feel welcome. I hope that things improve once your "newness" "wears off". I think that the entire world is just scared and strangers are the most scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nettie
On 3/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, MaryJane said:

@archiryan123

Just an FYI, if you haven't applied for insurance yet.

OHIP is waiving the 3-month waiting period during these unprecedented times - https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2020/03/ontario-expands-coverage-for-care.html

Canadian awesomeness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OHCANADAAA
12 hours ago, fry said:

@OHCANADAAA did you guys end up flying on Saturday? If so, let us know how it went.

From our side we are still waiting, reading and watching what is happening. The landscape is changing weekly so who knows what things will be like in May. The house is sold so we will need to be out by the end of April-ish. Really interesting times!

@archiryan123 your news does not sound good. It is not nice to finally land in your new country and not feel welcome. I hope that things improve once your "newness" "wears off". I think that the entire world is just scared and strangers are the most scary. 

No we didn't. We're currently waiting for Canada to announce when the exemptions become active then we'll try get flights ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M_Richard

I am currently in a similar situation. Was supposed to fly 10 Apr, already resigned from my job in SA, but then after the border closure announcement on 18 March, I managed to rescind my resignation and I am continuing to work in SA.

I have a work permit that is valid for 2 years and a permanent residency application that should be completed in July. 

Now with the new announcement (that still has to be clarified early this week), temporary workers will be able to enter Canada. 

Now landing as a newcomer in Canada, I have many things to consider.

Firstly 14 days self isolation. I can't go out to go get a SIN number, open bank accounts, apply for licenses etc. And I am even unsure about getting groceries for the first two weeks, buy online for delivery? 

I planned to stay in a temporary airbnb about 6kms from my workplace. Using public transport was my original plan, but don't think that is the best idea now. Getting a car is possible, but insurance will be insane without a BC driver's license, and road tests are currently canceled. 

I am a Civil engineer and the business cycles are usually long, so the company will probably still be operating, however I must confirm this with them.

Quite a lot of uncertainty at the moment, I can just keep moving my flights and see how things look in a month or 2 or 3. Still haven't sold my apartment in SA yet, so still carrying on in SA for now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jules
On 3/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, archiryan123 said:

I guess my wife and I can weigh in here, having arrived last Sunday 15 March 2020. One should keep in mind that things have changed a lot in the last few days, and continue to change daily. When we left RSA the virus was a mounting concern with very few cases, landing in Canada here it is sheer Armageddon all-round. Toronto airport was empty, and so are the streets in our current city. People don't go outside, and turn extremely nasty when they find out we are foreign immigrants.

It's been difficult... we arrived in one of Ontario's small cities, near to Ottawa and Toronto. To us it feels a lot like Hermanus, crossed with a bit of Stellenbosch (very student-y). It also has a huge population of seniors... We spent 2 days in our first temporary apartment before we were asked to leave by the local tenants due to perceived risk. Yesterday we tried to open a bank account and were nastily forced to leave the establishment. Sadly we are unable to obtain any documentation whatsoever. Any kind of apartment rental is impossible. For the foreseeable future we don't exist... 

Of course we understand the situation here, but it's not as if we were ever sent instructions to self-quarantine. Maybe what threw us off was at the airport there were zero tests done, or instructions given etc. We would love to know if this has changed. I believe in the week that we've been here a great many things have changed.

We are extremely thankful that we were able to get here in time, but also really hope being treated like dirty immigrants (no exaggeration) will pass. We also can't be sure how much of our experience has been more small town mentality vs nationwide fear vs goodness-knows-what-else.

Not a good time to be an immigrant. If someone is coming over with work in place I would say delay and then come tentatively. If no job is in place I would advise to postpone for a few months. Above all I'm concerned for the affect this will have on Africa.

Very sorry to hear about your experience so far. This is NOT normal Canada. People are scared and freaking out which is causing some people to behave like total jerks. It’s survival mode. This shall pass, I promise. Hopefully you catch a break.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marianka

Does anybody have advice as to airbnb's or a place where a family of 3 would be able to stay after landing for the 14 day self isolation period? We are planning to land in Vancouver middle/end of May. Are there services for ordering groceries to avoid leaving home in that period? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LidiaS77
On 4/2/2020 at 1:49 AM, Marianka said:

Does anybody have advice as to airbnb's or a place where a family of 3 would be able to stay after landing for the 14 day self isolation period? We are planning to land in Vancouver middle/end of May. Are there services for ordering groceries to avoid leaving home in that period? 

Yes, as far as I know most large grocery stores, such as Save-on-Foods, have delivery services. I've heard there is a wait time of about 2 weeks or so though (at least here in Victoria and maybe more in Vancouver) so it would probably be best if you order a while before you arrive, unless the wait times become shorter by May. You can also use Skip the Dishes to deliver from a variety of fast food places and restaurants. Depending on where you live you could also maybe arrange with your host to supply basic groceries before you arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohanR
On 3/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, archiryan123 said:

I guess my wife and I can weigh in here, having arrived last Sunday 15 March 2020. One should keep in mind that things have changed a lot in the last few days, and continue to change daily. When we left RSA the virus was a mounting concern with very few cases, landing in Canada here it is sheer Armageddon all-round. Toronto airport was empty, and so are the streets in our current city. People don't go outside, and turn extremely nasty when they find out we are foreign immigrants.

It's been difficult... we arrived in one of Ontario's small cities, near to Ottawa and Toronto. To us it feels a lot like Hermanus, crossed with a bit of Stellenbosch (very student-y). It also has a huge population of seniors... We spent 2 days in our first temporary apartment before we were asked to leave by the local tenants due to perceived risk. Yesterday we tried to open a bank account and were nastily forced to leave the establishment. Sadly we are unable to obtain any documentation whatsoever. Any kind of apartment rental is impossible. For the foreseeable future we don't exist... 

Of course we understand the situation here, but it's not as if we were ever sent instructions to self-quarantine. Maybe what threw us off was at the airport there were zero tests done, or instructions given etc. We would love to know if this has changed. I believe in the week that we've been here a great many things have changed.

We are extremely thankful that we were able to get here in time, but also really hope being treated like dirty immigrants (no exaggeration) will pass. We also can't be sure how much of our experience has been more small town mentality vs nationwide fear vs goodness-knows-what-else.

Not a good time to be an immigrant. If someone is coming over with work in place I would say delay and then come tentatively. If no job is in place I would advise to postpone for a few months. Above all I'm concerned for the affect this will have on Africa.

Like Jules stated, not a typical response of Canadians, but in the current turmoil and uncertainty it does happen. I am curious as to which small city this is close to Ottawa and Toronto with a feel of Hermanus. Hang in there, it will get better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M-N
8 hours ago, JohanR said:

Like Jules stated, not a typical response of Canadians, but in the current turmoil and uncertainty it does happen. I am curious as to which small city this is close to Ottawa and Toronto with a feel of Hermanus. Hang in there, it will get better.

 

Kingston perhaps? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jules

Not sure if everyone on this forum will agree with me but my advice to anyone planning to land here with PR but without a job: try to delay your permanent move as long as possible. 
COVID-19 is going to cause an economic disaster if this drags on for several months. If you still have a job in SA then stay until the mess clears up globally. Finding work in Canada as a new immigrant is hard enough under normal circumstances... it’s going to be much much harder this year. 
 

Just my opinion and not everyone will agree. But if I was in SA with a job with PR approved then I would land here just to activate the PR and go back to SA for a year to wait this out. I think the next 12-18 months is going to be economically hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary van der Westhuizen

@Annasofe13 mentioned this in a previous post, but I will mention it here again, we are willing and able to assist with groceries drop off for anyone in the Wellington County and surrounding area  (So Guelph, Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo) for those who need to self isolate. We can even drive a little further if you asked nicely 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohanR
On 4/4/2020 at 12:06 AM, M-N said:

Kingston perhaps? 

Kingston does not remind me of Hermanus at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
M-N
11 hours ago, JohanR said:

Kingston does not remind me of Hermanus at all. 

Lol.  Ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.