Sign in to follow this  
RobCampbell

Common Law Partnership Proof

RobCampbell

Hi all!

I am new here, so hope this is being posted in the right place.

My long-term boyfriend and I are in the process of getting all our docs together to open an EE profile, but are trying to be as prepared for all the steps in the process as possible. Once we get an ITA (using positive language to keep us motivated ūüėČ)¬†we will need to prove our common law partnership. We have been together for 9 years and lived together for about 7 of those, so are definitely "qualify" as common law partners...However, I don't know what acceptable proof would be.¬†

Has anyone been in this situation who can suggest what would be considered acceptable? We only signed one lease agreement in both of our names a few years ago, and have subsequently bought the property but it is only in my name...

Thanks in advance for any advice, this community really seems to be incredibly helpful and engaging!

Slippers

Hi, so my GF and I used leases that we signed and got approved. So I'd start with getting a copy of the lease you did sign together. There is a form that needs to be completed as well as signed by a commissioner of oaths declaring your common law relationship. Do you have any joint policies? Like life insurance or medical aid. I think you could look at also supplying for example his bills with your address on and then could supply proof that you own the property.

Basically anything you can supply that shows you have been at the same premises living together and have created a life together will help.

GuyRussy

Following what @Slippers suggests, my GF and I submitted travel docs like flight bookings, any post addressed to one another at the same address, affidavit's by close family/friends attesting to our relationship and how long they've known "us" for. 

LD8

Hi, here is our list that we used  :) 

'- IMM 5408 Common Law form (from Canada website), get a commissioner of oath to stamp

- We did a relationship timeline with photos and stories 

- Affidavit of 2 of my friends, 2 of his friends and a family member. 

- Proof of residence: Internet bill got both our names on at the same address; Separate insurance but showing the same address. 

Got our PR end of Feb. Good luck. 

RobCampbell

Ok fantastic, thank you so much @Slippers, @GuyRussy and @LD8 for all the advice! I am sure we will be able to get everything required together! 

And congrats @LD8 on the PR status! You must be over the moon...

SharonA

Great suggestions, thanks!  My daughter needs to put this proof of common-law partnership together now as she's received an ITA EE CEC with herself as the primary applicant.  Keen to know if it is essential to have a joint bank account, or is it considered ok to have separate bank accounts but still show that each Partner contributes to the joint living expenses? They have a joint lease. The  other accounts are in their separate names, but they share living costs. Advice appreciated, thanks.

M-N
On 8/8/2020 at 4:48 AM, SharonA said:

Great suggestions, thanks!  My daughter needs to put this proof of common-law partnership together now as she's received an ITA EE CEC with herself as the primary applicant.  Keen to know if it is essential to have a joint bank account, or is it considered ok to have separate bank accounts but still show that each Partner contributes to the joint living expenses? They have a joint lease. The  other accounts are in their separate names, but they share living costs. Advice appreciated, thanks.

We had separate bank accounts. Provided our rental lease with both our names and life insurance with each other as beneficiaries and some bank statements in each of our names with a shared address on. 

• Thanks 1