Sign in to follow this  
dallant

Car seat compulsory in SA

dallant

Hi there,

i’m planning a trip to SA with my 9 months old baby. It’s been 5 years since I left and many more years since there was a baby in the family. I don’t recall ever seeing a car seat being used on my nephews/nieces in the 2000’s...

is it compulsory to use one, as in, will the cops fine you if there isn't one? I will not be driving but i thought if I seat at the back seat with baby on my lap and seat belt on, is that allowed? It’s too much of a hassle to travel with a car seat since i’m travelling alone, and to buy one just for 2 weeks...the one that will pick me up from the airport doesn't have one.

i would really appreciate your input.

thanks!

PhilipCX
16 minutes ago, dallant said:

Hi there,

i’m planning a trip to SA with my 9 months old baby. It’s been 5 years since I left and many more years since there was a baby in the family. I don’t recall ever seeing a car seat being used on my nephews/nieces in the 2000’s...

is it compulsory to use one, as in, will the cops fine you if there isn't one? I will not be driving but i thought if I seat at the back seat with baby on my lap and seat belt on, is that allowed? It’s too much of a hassle to travel with a car seat since i’m travelling alone, and to buy one just for 2 weeks...the one that will pick me up from the airport doesn't have one.

i would really appreciate your input.

thanks!

If I recall correctly it is against the law. And trust me, the way South Africans drive, I wouldn't take that risk anyways. When are you guys landing, I might be able to help you out for those 2 weeks with a seat?

• Thanks 1