Sign in to follow this  
Jeanne-M

Is it worth it to try to get an ITA with low points, and other questions

Jeanne-M

Does anyone think that it is worth going through the process of entering the Express Entry pool if one only has about 440 points? We need to rewrite our IELTS, since it has expired since we last attempted this process, but everything else is still valid. Not sure whether we should attempt this again, or if we should rather save our money to try for Australia (or NZ, if all else fails). Any thoughts?

My partner will be the main applicant, so is it worthwhile get my extra post-graduate degree verified to help to boost our application? Any ideas how long that takes nowadays, if using MIE and WES for a Tuks degree?

Other questions:

• I am a freelancer (so obviously self-employed, but with no registered business). Has anyone been able to get points for this type of employment?
  • If you were planning on emigrating to Canada, would you delay starting a family until you actually got to Canada, or would you have a child in South Africa and go through the process of adding the baby to your application?
  • Is it realistic to expect to find decent work as a financial manager in the Maritimes, or is that a pipe dream?
  • How long has it take you to feel somewhat settled?
  • What is the average amount of time for an Express Entry application to be processed, in your experience?

Would appreciate any input!

LidiaS77

Hi @Jeanne-M

If you have an extra degree then I'm pretty sure that would push your score up and would be worth it. You can calculate your new score by using the official CRS tool here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. Also calculate your scores with both you and your partner as main applicants as it could make a big difference if you have more than one degree as the main applicant. You can have two EE profiles, one with you as the main applicant and one with your partner as the main applicant. One of the reasons why you would do this is because some provinces sometimes choose candidates from the pool where the main applicant has a specific NOC code, regardless of whether they have a high score or not. This would only really be necessary if your score is still low though and if you or your partner's NOC code is on the occupation-in-demand list of a province who does this kind of draw. We applied using MIE/Tuks in 2016 and that took about a month or so, not sure how long it takes nowadays.

6 hours ago, Jeanne-M said:

I am a freelancer (so obviously self-employed, but with no registered business). Has anyone been able to get points for this type of employment?

If you mean points for work experience/history then I've read about others who have done this. You can show things like invoices, but my suggestion would be to do some additional research to make sure that you have all the right documents. You can do a search on this forum, the Canada Visa forum or various Facebook groups. If you mean points as a job offer then no, this won't count. The job offer has to be from a Canadian company and various other conditions apply.

How long has it take you to feel somewhat settled?

Personally I've felt at home in Canada from the beginning and really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

What is the average amount of time for an Express Entry application to be processed, in your experience?

We arrived in Canada 11 months after starting the process in 2016. Family of mine recently completed the process as well, but the time between submitting their final application and passport request was about 6 months whereas ours was less than 2 months. I do get a feeling from reading other reports as well that there might be more of a delay now before receiving passport requests. The rest of the process is dependent on how soon you get chosen and whether you have all your other documents ready so it's really just the part after submitting the ITA documents and waiting for the passport request that could take long and that you won't have control over.

Edited by LidiaS77

Jeanne-M

Thank you, Lidia! I really appreciate your input.

fry

@Jeanne-M we entered the EE pool with 440 point and ended up getting picked without a provincial nomination. You never know when the low point selection months may occur. For us we were lucky that there were three draws in Jan 2020 which brought the point requirements down to 438. :) I guess it depends on your urgency as you could end up waiting for a while for the low point requirement. CanadaVisa.com tracks the required points quite nicely. - https://www.canadavisa.com/express-entry-invitations-to-apply-issued.html?&_ga=2.19330360.1092463727.1582541693-1974226454.1581573615#gs.xb7exv

is it worthwhile get my extra post-graduate degree verified to help to boost our application?

I would do anything to boost your points. In our case we verified my wife's degree even though I was the primary applicant.

Any ideas how long that takes nowadays, if using MIE and WES for a Tuks degree?

I think the WES turn around time was about a month once you have the necessary documents.

If you were planning on emigrating to Canada, would you delay starting a family until you actually got to Canada, or would you have a child in South Africa and go through the process of adding the baby to your application?

This is quite a personal question. To me it would depend on factors like your and your wife's age. Are you willing to wait another year to have a child. Other things to consider is in SA you have access to your family and friends for support; in Canada you will have to grow a new support base. Also young child care is expensive in Canada when compared to a nanny in South Africa.

I also think about the benefit of  your child being born Canadian. Though, if you are committed to move your children would naturalize at the same time as you, so you are only delaying their citizenship by 3-4 years.

What is the average amount of time for an Express Entry application to be processed, in your experience?

For us the entire process from booking our IETLS exam to receiving PPR took just over a year, but we were lucky to be picked for ITA within a week of submitting our EE application.

@LidiaS77 provides good insights on looking at your EE application from both you and your spouse. We also know a couple who applied singularly (wife only) as this gave her (and their children) a better chance of receiving ITA. They are now in the process of getting the husband across.

Jeanne-M

Thank you, Fry! I appreciate your input. 

• Like 1