fry

Tech community in Kelowna

fry

Hi,

After receiving our PR in Oct 2019 and activating over Dec 2019, my family and I are looking to move to Kelowna in May 2020.

Does anyone know of technology communities in the Kelowna area? More specifically around software development and engineering. I have done some searching online, but thought I would put it to this forum. It looks like there is a good aviation presence in the city, and the tech sector is growing, so there should be some for of community or forum.

For example here in JHB there is a Software Developers User Group that meets once a month. Do these type of meetups happen in Canada?

Thanks for the help.

LidiaS77

Hi @fry

11 hours ago, fry said:

For example here in JHB there is a Software Developers User Group that meets once a month. Do these type of meetups happen in Canada?

Yes, I'm pretty sure there are even more of these types of meetups and groups than in SA, especially in the larger cities. Here in Victoria we have VIATEC that sends out regular newsletter with events and job opportunities in the tech industry specifically and they even organize the yearly VIATEC Awards which is like the Oscars for the Victoria tech industry. It looks like Accelerate Okanagan might be a similar organization in Kelowna.

I also belong to Slack workspaces called "YYJ Tech Ladies" (YYJ = Victoria) and "Vancouver Developers". I think these Slack workspaces are a really great way to network and meet people in the industry, especially for those who tend to be more introvert as you can send messages to any member or reply to their posts/comments in an easy, more casual way online. It looks like this might be the Slack workspace for the Kelowna tech industry: https://kelowna.slack.com/. In this article he says that he can send you an invite to this Slack workspace if you fill out the form and it has a lot of other info about the industry as well: https://www.rbdawson.com/okanagan-tech

I hope this helps! ­čÖé

Edited by LidiaS77
  • Thanks 3

fry

@LidiaS77 thank you!

These are some great references! I fell a little silly that I did not find them myself.