HeidiPatrick

Lots of questions South African living in Aus wanting to move to Canada!

HeidiPatrick

Hi All,

We are South African an living in Aus (immigrated Nov 2018) at the moment as my hubby got a job and we managed to get a PR visa. Aus was not my first option but that is was our option at the time. We used to own a farm in the Drakensberg, but safety became a huge issue. We had threats on our daughter and stock theft galore! We have been in Aus 14months now and are still wanting to move to Canada.

I have looked on the Canada immigration site but find the whole process very confusing. My husband is turning 48 this year and is a heavy duty mechanic (Diploma in Mechanical engineering through tech in South Africa). Unfortunately our IELTS have expired that we used for Aus so will have to redo those. From what I have researched the Express Entry is not an option as we don't get enough points because of hubby's age, and none of my studies es are recognised as a "skill".

Any suggestions on where we start the process and which is the best option to apply for that will give us PR? Where to look for jobs (those that I have looked up won't even consider unless you are Canadian or already have a visa)? What sort of captial is needed if you want to start your own business in Canada ect?

Hubby did his skills assessment for Aus and they gave him an equivalent qualification for here, so how would we go about getting this skills assessed for Canada and what is the cost in Rands? Who does he get it done through as it is a trade and does the skill assessment expire? We owned our own business in South Africa, but he is now working for an employer in Aus, whilst running a small mobile mechanic business on the side!

Any South Africans that have moved from Australia to Canada?

I have looked at the Alberta or British Columbia regions as options - anyone cane give me more info on these areas or pics please?

I studied Kinesiology in South Africa which is know as Applied Kinesiology in Canada and I'm an Equine sports massage and equine animal behaviour, so my field is alternate therapies with humans and horses.

Thank you all in advance:)

Edited by HeidiPatrick

Reibtseb

Can't help with your questions unfortunately, but wondering why Australia hasn't won your affection?

Lizelle

I would suggest you think long and hard before you follow this route.  

Now, I moved from NZ to Canada, and I have regretted it ever since (search "New Zealand", and you will find loads of what I posted). There is someone else that moved from Perth to Canada that loved it a few years ago, I don't know about now.  Maybe if you search "Perth" you will find her.

If you are unhappy in Oz, I would suggest that you consider NZ before Canada.  Even ignoring the fact that I like NZ better than Canada, practically speaking, I am not sure you realize just how long and expensive the road might get in front of you. 

Getting a job offer when not in Canada is not unheard of, but it is very hard.  With the oil sands really struggling, I am going to guess that there are no shortage of heavy duty mechanics in the job market.  That removes the incentives from employers to hire an outsider.  Getting a trade assessed in NZ is very easy (1 week of lessons and a test, pretty much.  And cost very little). Getting a trade assessed in Canada is a seriously tedious affair (Red Seal test?? I think). And every province has their own body that deals with it. 

You are looking at a multi year effort to maybe get into Canada in a few years, costing you thousands to get there. In the mean time you are unable to settle down since you have no certainty about your future.  As an Oz PR, you can move to NZ tomorrow and start working, costing you very little.  

• Like 1

HoneyClare

Only as I have a 2 cents on this, 

We applied for Australia 4 years ago, did the entire application and on paper I was a good candidate. They didn't let us in as my son has remedial issues. These are mild he has managed to stay in his appropriate grade and is at a mainstream school with support. Anyway the Australian PR application cost us about R 160 000, was exorbitant and we still didn't get in, fast forward to today. I currently have an application in for Express Entry with Canada, I had to get a provincial nomination with Saskatchewan as I didn't have enough points. The application for Canada has cost us R 50 000, including getting my degrees assessed and my qualification recognized. I don't have any experience living in Canada but I am excited about the things I have learnt. It has friendly people, a beautiful country and possibilities. I am so positive about our chances of success this time and it feels a lot less punitive already. 

I wouldn't dispute that it is a lengthy process but if you have time it could be a little quicker, from what I ready most people take about 1 year to 1 and half to get it right! 

Also I have done the entire application on my own no agent,  

• Like 1

HeidiPatrick
10 hours ago, Reibtseb said:

Can't help with your questions unfortunately, but wondering why Australia hasn't won your affection?

The country has been good, loved the safety aspects, but I don't do the heat very well and we just can't put our finger on whats missing but just aren't really enjoying it.  Canada was where I wanted to move initially, just that the job offer in Aus came up first!

HeidiPatrick
5 hours ago, Lizelle said:

I would suggest you think long and hard before you follow this route.  

Now, I moved from NZ to Canada, and I have regretted it ever since (search "New Zealand", and you will find loads of what I posted). There is someone else that moved from Perth to Canada that loved it a few years ago, I don't know about now.  Maybe if you search "Perth" you will find her.

If you are unhappy in Oz, I would suggest that you consider NZ before Canada.  Even ignoring the fact that I like NZ better than Canada, practically speaking, I am not sure you realize just how long and expensive the road might get in front of you. 

Getting a job offer when not in Canada is not unheard of, but it is very hard.  With the oil sands really struggling, I am going to guess that there are no shortage of heavy duty mechanics in the job market.  That removes the incentives from employers to hire an outsider.  Getting a trade assessed in NZ is very easy (1 week of lessons and a test, pretty much.  And cost very little). Getting a trade assessed in Canada is a seriously tedious affair (Red Seal test?? I think). And every province has their own body that deals with it. 

You are looking at a multi year effort to maybe get into Canada in a few years, costing you thousands to get there. In the mean time you are unable to settle down since you have no certainty about your future.  As an Oz PR, you can move to NZ tomorrow and start working, costing you very little.  

Lizelle

Thank you for your reply. We have considered NZ and are looking at all our options. We are looking at the costs to, hence the fact I'm doing all the research and homework before we even make any decisions..  I've met quite a few and none of a lot of South Africans that have moved to Canada and love it there, and in the short while we have been in Aus we have met quite a few South Africans that want to go back to SA or try somewhere else but can't afford to. We have met others who absolutely love it here, so I think it's situation and person dependent.

HeidiPatrick
3 hours ago, HoneyClare said:

Only as I have a 2 cents on this, 

We applied for Australia 4 years ago, did the entire application and on paper I was a good candidate. They didn't let us in as my son has remedial issues. These are mild he has managed to stay in his appropriate grade and is at a mainstream school with support. Anyway the Australian PR application cost us about R 160 000, was exorbitant and we still didn't get in, fast forward to today. I currently have an application in for Express Entry with Canada, I had to get a provincial nomination with Saskatchewan as I didn't have enough points. The application for Canada has cost us R 50 000, including getting my degrees assessed and my qualification recognized. I don't have any experience living in Canada but I am excited about the things I have learnt. It has friendly people, a beautiful country and possibilities. I am so positive about our chances of success this time and it feels a lot less punitive already. 

I wouldn't dispute that it is a lengthy process but if you have time it could be a little quicker, from what I ready most people take about 1 year to 1 and half to get it right! 

Also I have done the entire application on my own no agent,  

HoneyClare thanks for your reply. Yes ours was also a long process to get into Aus on PR even though we had a job offer. Each time we got our documents together the requirements changed and eventually we used and agent, as my hubby was about to turn 45 which was the cut off and that helped, but cost a lot.

In all honesty I have heard more positive feed back about Canada visa application then what people go through to get into Aus. We were very fortunate to get into here (at a huge cost), but it was the best option at the time. We in no huge rush, but would like to start the process sooner then later if we are wanting to move.

We would also have to look at the PNP process first as we don't have enough points to go straight EE.

Not sure if by any chance you might have answers to any of the following questions?

So I have done loads of reading and am still confused. So hubby gets very low points for EE when we do the calculations as he turns 48 this year so no points for his age.

1. Do we apply for a PNP first and then try for EE?
  2. Can you submit PNP application to 2 different provinces at the same time and see which comes through first?
  3. Once you PNP is accepted what does that actually mean and give you? Would you still need to apply for a work permit ect?
  4. Does it help to secure a job first before applying for PNP?
  5. Husband is a heavy duty mechanic / mechanical engineer, would Alberta or BC be a better option job wise and availability?
  6. Does IELTS and trade assessments have to be done before applying for PNP? Or when does that all get done, as I know they expire after a period!

Thank you in advance :)

MaryJane

Hey @HeidiPatrick

Welcome! Looks like your post has been attended to by some of the forumites.

Can’t speak much about Aus nor NZ but can say that after 7 years (and counting), Canada continues to treat us well.

For some of your questions, I’d take a whack at some, although I haven’t kept abreast of the updated versions of the PNPs.

1. Not sure but my suggestion would be to create an EE profile in conjunction with applying to a PNP.

2. As best I know, yes.

3. No. The PNP gives you extra points, which would then be important for your EE points. I believe PNP gives you 600 points added to what you already have. This is of course a major boost and will almost guarantee getting invited on the next EE draw.

4. For some PNP, securing a job offer is part of the requirement.

5. I’d leave this question to the people in the West to answer... 😉

6. IELTS I know is required to create an EE profile so if you want to get started, it is one of the first things that you’ll need to have.

Hope some of these answers help you on your journey! Good luck!

MJ

• Like 1

Jules

You’ve only been Australia a short period of time. Way too soon to be considering another move. I would say the same if you were in Canada. Emigration is extremely hard and it can take several years to really settle so making the “stay or go” assessment so soon is... too soon!

Waite another 2 years before making such a massive decision or you might end up feeling the same after landing in Canada. If Australia feels “off” then you have what is normal actually. You shouldn’t expect to feel settled so soon. You’ve given up everything and it can take years to settle. 

• Like 3

Nelline
5 hours ago, Jules said:

You’ve only been Australia a short period of time. Way too soon to be considering another move. I would say the same if you were in Canada. Emigration is extremely hard and it can take several years to really settle so making the “stay or go” assessment so soon is... too soon!

Waite another 2 years before making such a massive decision or you might end up feeling the same after landing in Canada. If Australia feels “off” then you have what is normal actually. You shouldn’t expect to feel settled so soon. You’ve given up everything and it can take years to settle. 

I agree, but they're also concerned at Hubby's age. We too emigrated twice and I was 42 (32 the first time) and it really does get harder with age

HeidiPatrick
On 2/2/2020 at 3:43 AM, Nelline said:

I agree, but they're also concerned at Hubby's age. We too emigrated twice and I was 42 (32 the first time) and it really does get harder with age

Jules and Nelline

Thank you for your replies. We only permanently moved over November 2018, but have been coming over since 2015. Hubby had worked here for 2 years back in 2000 before I had met him, so he knew he could get a job ect. But I didn't want to come here from the start. I wanted to do Canada, but we had to go where the job was.

For each I suppose it's a very personal matter and reasons vary. Age is a huge concern for us and we don't want to "waste" another 2 years just to see what happens or IF things get better. As it is we know the visa process is going to take a while and that will already give us another 12 to 18 months here anyway!

HoneyClare

Hi 

Sorry for the absence...

I have put in responses below: 

1. Do we apply for a PNP first and then try for EE? SO you need a EE application number for a PNP application, also some PNP applications are automatic once you have done your EE, you should do a EE application 
  2. Can you submit PNP application to 2 different provinces at the same time and see which comes through first? Not sure about this one, you can show interest in your EE profile for all provinces, but the actual application you are showing interest in going to a specific province so I don't think it would look good. 
  3. Once you PNP is accepted what does that actually mean and give you? Would you still need to apply for a work permit ect? If you get a PNP you get 600 points which will ensure you get selected for EE, which is Permanent Residence, you would still need to look for a job when you arrive but it would get you in 
  4. Does it help to secure a job first before applying for PNP? I think its one route or another, I think securing a job is tough I have tried, I am hoping its easier once I have a PR visa
  5. Husband is a heavy duty mechanic / mechanical engineer, would Alberta or BC be a better option job wise and availability? I dont know, for us we went where we could get in, so aiming for Saskatchewan 
  6. Does IELTS and trade assessments have to be done before applying for PNP? Or when does that all get done, as I know they expire after a period! So you have to get your qualifications assessed against Canadian standards which is done by a few places most people use WES I used ICAS, but it just does a comparison of yours with Canadian standards. You need this for EE. After that you will need to get your qualification assessed by the body responsible for your qualification. I needed that for PNP 

Happy to help with any questions.... 

Good luck 

Its just admin getting it all done and its not as expensive as Oz, so there is no harm in doing the process you can always decide not to go

• Like 1

HeidiPatrick

@HoneyClare

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know if each province has different minimum points requirements for express entry?

HoneyClare

Each province has their own process, but in terms of points that more for the EE process. Saskatchewan has their own points ranking for their application process. Usually the type of sector / industry is more of a 'thing' so if you are on the provinces skills shortage you would stand more of a chance. 

CapieCanadian

Hi there, my 2 cents;

Take a look at Job Bank, I did a search for "Heavy duty mechanic" and various options came up to fit the bill e.g. Heavy duty mechanic - agriculture. I chose 'heavy-duty equipment mechanic (7312) since I had a gut feeling this may be what fits best but please take a look at the link to see if that is in line with what your hubby does. The code next to it is the NOC code, super duper important since hubby needs to perform all of the duties mentioned in the lead statement of that code and most of the main duties to qualify under it. Jammer, you probably know all of this in anyway!

On this site you can get an idea about the wages for a role across the country, career outlooks etc. Just select a different tab on the page. Perhaps this will give you an idea where most jobs are available and where money is best? At the end of the day for the most part, we end up where we find a job. The "employment requirements" tab will show you what hubby needs to do in order to work in his field of expertise since this is a regulated profession (again, perhaps the title I chose isn't a fit so please check). The "employment requirements" tab will also show you what needs to be done in each province to have his skill tested and vetting to make sure he his certified in his trade for that province. If you have a province in mind, look at the PNP options, each province has different criteria. Perhaps look at BCPNP's various skilled immigration avenues : https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration There is huge shortage for health care workers in BC, investigate if you can perhaps land a job as in applied kinesiology?

I landed in BC in 2017, it was indeed a culture shock of note but from my experience, it is what you make of it. Immigrating has by far been more stressful and draining than I could have imagined or put words to but after time the good days increase and the bad days become less. From my experience Canadians are truthfully kind to their core. I'm originally from CPT and see many similarities to it here in Vancouver. It truly is Beautiful British Columbia.  

PS: If you guys are financially able to apply for one study permit then the accompanying spouse will get an open work permit. Down the road, the Canadian Experience Class which gives you PR may be an option. The trick is to get into Canada. Once you're here you can't easily be kicked out :) 

• Like 2