jncilliers

Canada healthcare system

jncilliers

Hi Everybody

I am seeking some advice regarding the Canadian healthcare system. Specifically with regards to Alberta. 

How long does it take to get registered on the healthcare system after arriving as a PR. I am currently with Discovery medical aid here in SA and was wondering about keeping it active a couple of months after arriving in Calgary.

Edited by jncilliers

Lizelle

Alberta does not have a wait time for registering into the healthcare system.  Right after you arrive, you go register to get a health care card, and then you are covered.  

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-how-to-apply.aspx

MaryJane

Hi @jncilliers

As best I know, Alberta is immediate coverage. There’s no waiting period to get health coverage. The waiting period only applies to some provinces (like Ontario), so you should be okay.

You don’t need Discovery if the purpose is just to have coverage.

Kitcat

Alberta is immediate coverage from the day you land - we applied and received our health cards in the post within about three or four days.

GrantM

All comments here are correct. I did keep my Discovery for 1 month after arriving just to be safe.

jncilliers

Thank you all!

graciax452

You just need proof of address, so if you have no bills etc or rental agreement that may take you a few days to get sorted. I got a letter from RBC as proof of address as i was yet to receive statements and they accepted this at the one registry centre.