Sign in to follow this  
Nickstar

January 2020 Applications

Nickstar

Hello All,

New to this forum. Hoping to leverage of the experience of the members here.

My husband & I just passed our IELTS tests. I'm 38, he is 39 - which is a concern for me, as we both have our next birthdays in March. The big 40 looming. I am using a consultant in Canada to assist with my application. Does anyone have any experiences/recommend such?

Also, god-willing we are accepted....hoping to find employment in British Columbia. I hear the weather there is warmer. :) Not sure what the employment opportunities are like there compared to other provinces? would appreciate some advice.

We are very excited and hopefully the process isn't too painful. ETA for our move is 2021, fingers crossed.

MaryJane

Welcome @Nickstar!

It seems you are still quite early on in the process. Hope the rest of the journey is smooth sailing for you guys. Good luck!

Nickstar

thank you!!!! :D

OutOfSa

Hi @Nickstar

Indeed, welcome and good luck with your en devours.

You say "I am using a consultant in Canada to assist..." the statement seems (to me)  to be ambiguous - you are using one?  Or, you intend to - and want a referral? 

Take care as they can cost you dearly in false hope and money.  People think they will take all the pain out of the process, but they don't - they are a business and so they want to make money.  

(Remember, the process is designed to be done by average people.)

As for where to settle, BC for sure... if you don't mind a LOT of rain, no "Day Zero" anytime soon - way too much water about.  I know people that have moved there and are pretty happy and settled.  

How much money do you have?  That's really the big question, typically it's more expensive to move to BC - so you might need a bigger buffer. 

I'm in Ontario, it is bigger, faster and more angry than the rest of the country, with that comes more jobs & more competition.  Right now, 2019-20, good people are hard to find so it's a good time to look for work.

I assume it's somewhat similar in other places, except perhaps Alberta where the Energy sector has been destroyed by Peter Pan the Mustache man.

Anyway. I really hope it goes well for you, best of luck !

Nickstar

@OutOfSa

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it

So here's my update;

I was referred to a consultant by a distant relative. The consultant advised me last week that due to a large number of young skilled candidates from India, its now harder to 'get in'. Competition being very stiff. 

Apparently my age (39) and my husbands (40) counts against us, and the 'cut-off' is 35 years old.  

I was VERY disappointed to hear this. 

Not one to give-up, I applied on the Canadian government website myself.

In brief;

I have an Accounting Science degree and a post-graduate diploma in Forensic Auditing. My husband has a Bachelors degree in Supply Chain Management. Our IELTS scores are (8 & 7.5 respectively).  My husband and I have very good jobs in South Africa and about 15 years work experience.We also have decent savings, and are in line with the required value by the indicative table, for a family of 4. On my application, I validated my IELTS score only.  I have not validated our qualifications.  

Seconds after submission - I got an automated email message saying I do not qualify for Express Entry. Reason not given. Perhaps, its the fact, I haven't verified my qualifications?

I'm quite at a loss now. 

Should I reapply? After getting my qualifications validated? But I feel, if I need to spend more money to get rejected again, I will be devastated.  Did I really wait too long to start this? Is my age really the reason?

Any advice from anyone in the community is appreciated. I really have my heart set on Canada.

Regards,

Tarryn8

Hi @Nickstar

As far as I know you need IELTS and Education verification in order to create an EE profile.

It would be beneficial to work out your CRS score prior to applying to see where your score is at (if you haven't already). Your age is only one section of the point accumulation... Doing this helped us decide who we should put as the main applicant on our profile when we applied...

Good luck!

Nelline

To say the "cut off" for age is 35 is incorrect. All it means is that you no longer gain extra points for age (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)

I agree, you'd need to do WES for at least the main candidate. The spouse does not need to unless you are claiming points for their education. Do you know what your approximate points will be? Have you used the calculator to at least get a good idea? If your EE points are quite high using the calculator, then get WES done and re-submit. If not, then look into Provincial Nominations etc

CapieCanadian

@Nelline is correct in saying that 35 is not the cut off. According to the EE criteria for age, you guys will get 50 points for being 39 years old if your spouse is accompanying you and 45 points for being 40, again provided the spouse comes along. So the amount of points you get for your age will depend on who is the main applicant. Thousands of people in that age range still immigrate to Canada, don't give up hope.

I landed in BC on a work permit and was worried about PR since I didn't score a high CRS total. I contacted my immigration lawyer (who was absolutely fantastic throughout the process!) but they made it clear I need to see which options are available to me if EE doesn't work. The pressure was on me to figure it out, fortunately I did and got BC PNP but I walk away with that experience understanding that immigration lawyers and consultants have a high workload and probably want easy cases e.g. young skilled candidates. This means easy cases for them and plenty of it = money.

Never fear, you are in great company on this forum. Where there's a will there's a way and 'n boer maak 'n plan! Like the others have said, go to the EE sore calculator to see what kind of score you can expect and then take things from there. One step at a time.

OutOfSa

Hi @Nickstar

Yes, India & the rest of the world is bombarding Canada with qualified people - it's unbelievable how many super smart people India is producing... but competition was never a reason to give up.

I certainly don't think they take all the spots? Other people of other nationalities are still arriving.

You should check out the following link - if you haven't noticed it yet:

Important LEGIT info on the Canadian government site

In any case, Age is a big problem here - the country is aging, so the government put some pretty painful cuts on age: 

From the GOV site:....   40 years of age  = 45  ~ 50 points, whereas being    to 29 years of age  =  100   ~ 110, that's really significant.  (See above web page).    Below is a paste from the Canadian gov site - definitely not good to be older... 

I'm not well versed on the new points system, but I am fairly certain that anything that isn't vetted is going to get 0 points.  Why not run the test with all your data and tick the verified boxes (the ones you can get verified by assessments)  - they don't use this in your record, it's a tool to evaluate yourself - you should try all manner of combinations to get the best possible points.  

If you figure your points are going to have a chance, then you can get all the paperwork and vetting needed.  

DON"T Use a 3rd party calculator - if it's not https://www.cic.gc.ca/ or https://www.canada.ca/ or similar, it's not reliable.  

Canadian Gov calculator

From the Canadian Site:
19 years of age    95    105 (Apparently they want kids !???)

34 years of age    75    83
contrasting with........
40 years of age    45    50
41 years of age    35    39
42 years of age    25    28
43 years of age    15    17
44 years of age    5    6
45 years of age or more    0    0

It seems to me that you're teetering on a knife edge, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet...  Other people might be able to help you with advice about provincial nomination?

Also, other provinces have various offers and options worth exploring. 

To be honest, you guys have left it pretty late to apply - smoke is starting to come out of the starboard-engine....

I' don't want to give you false hope - but what about provincial nomination? Provincial Nominations 

That said, if you want any chance of succeeding you need to do the looking and reading - don't trust a company to be the answer & don't trust any promises.  Nobody cares as much about you as you do.  

Once again, good luck - unfortunately  expect pain and disappointment, it's part of the deal. 

I think most of us wish we'd left 10 or 20 years earlier, I know I do.

Andrew and Tash

Hi @Nickstar

Just to reiterate what has been said above - There's definitely no reason to give up because of age. I'm 40 and my wife is 42, with a planned leaving date of mid-June.

Considering age and Language scores, your more likely route is via provincial nomination (same route we took)  rather than automatically through the points system draw. You could potentially improve on points by re-writing the language tests and trying to maximise scores.

Regarding the use of an agent - we found the 1 hour meeting with Canada Abroad to be very beneficial, but the rest of the process can be done by yourselves.

Nickstar

Thank you everyone for the support and suggestions. This platform is very useful and encouraging. I will take all the advice given, an not give up yet.

LouiseV36

HI @Nickstar.

I am 37 and my husband is 39.  Our CRS score was 440 and we were fortunate enough to get a provincial nomination.  Don't give up.   You just never know what the provinces are looking for.  And you need to be in the EE Pool.

We are now waiting for that golden e-mail to come through.  We made the decision to go 15 months ago and we hoping (if Canada VO's stick to their processing times) to be gone by June.

All the best with your journey.

Austin

Hi All

First time joining this forum and have lots of questions I want to ask. Hoping their kind hearted people who can help me and by the looks of this forum, there are many of you kind hearted ones on here. But first a very brief back ground info of our current situation and where are in the whole process. 

I'm 35, married, wife is 30 years old and we are in the beginning stages of our immigration process. We've met with our immigration solicitor last week to get the ball rolling, just awaiting his e-mail with instructions on the next step to take. He is legit and his practice is based in BC, but also has offices in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and one here in SA.

After meeting and discussing matters with him and reviewing my assessment, it has been established that I only qualify for one entry stream, namely PNP Job Offer Stream, so our successful immigration is contingent on whether or not I can find a legitimate job offer with a LMIA. The LMIA application will also be done by our solicitor on behalf of the prospective new employer. We were also told that certain provinces are closed to us due to certain out of our control factors, for e.g. Alberta (our preferred province, have friends living there, so we are somewhat saddened about this one) due to high levels of unemployment in this province, Calgary has hit a new high in unemployed people - 76,000 - highest in Canada, so looking for work there will be near impossible as a foreign national who is coming over on only a work permit, as Canada has a "local first" policy, and rightly so, SA has the same policy all be it a lot more relaxed one. Some other issues are point scoring systems, language barrier ect. But fortunately these issues are few and there a more solutions than problems. 

So with this all in mind, I am hoping there is someone on this forum who has been in the same situation and made it thru, who can give me some advice. My questions are as follows: 

How did you manage to secure a job offer with a LMIA?

How did you navigate the networking aspect in your attempts in finding the right job? (as not all job vacancies are published or advertised online, a lot are only by word of mouth ect)

Where and what platforms did you use or had at your disposal that helped you in securing a job offer?

Your assistance and/or guidance and advice will greatly be appreciated. 

Our solicitor will also help with a lot of these matters as well as guide as thru the whole process step by step. But one of his very important points was about networking and sourcing connections in the industry in which I am employed but also in other fields in which I have knowledge and some experience to maximize my chances of finding the right job.  Where better to start down this avenue than right here, where there are many people with whom I can get into contact with and who have gone thru this labyrinth of Immigration. 

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give