MartinG

Cellular Plans

MartinG

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts regarding prepaid data options on a typical Samsung phone (SA)?

I'm landing in Vancouver in a few days, to activate PR, and will come back 4 weeks later to complete work commitments. A few friends are tagging along for an LSD trip around BC & AB and some form of wireless data while on the go would be nice. I saw a few options online from the usual suspects, but most seems to go for a monthly premium setup with a few expensive prepaid options.

Anything cheap with good coverage out there?

LidiaS77

We were with Fido (owned by Rogers) and are with Koodo now (owned by Telus). They have plans that cost around $10 or $15 or so per month. The cheapest Fido plan ($10) doesn't include data, but they also have data plans for $15. The cheapest Koodo plan ($15) doesn't include calls but has 250Mb free data and a call booster option. To top up data you can go to the service provider's site or dial a number to buy more data on the go. This is the closest that you will get to prepaid as we know it in South Africa and the cheapest options that I know of. Generally calls and texts (SMSes) are deducted from the amount that you pay per month. Of course the individual texts and calls aren't cheap compared to more expensive plans, but this works well if you don't make or receive a lot of calls or text messages. Also keep in mind that you generally pay for both outgoing and incoming calls here (might depend on the plan). Free Wi-Fi is very common here in most shops, coffee shops etc. which also means free WhatsApp messages and calling. You can make free calls in North America with Google Hangouts from your computer and you might be able to do Wi-Fi calling if your phone and plan allows for this. If your phone and plan allows this you can also tether i.e. one of you can get a plan and then use mobile data and create a Wi-Fi hotspot for the others.

Edited by LidiaS77

MartinG

Hi LidiaS77,

Thanks for the info! We were thinking of using one device and share the data in the group via a mobile hot spot, but at the typical high prices I've seen so far we'll probably have to hold out for free hot spots!