LD8

SAIPA to CPA

LD8

Hi all

Have anyone started or done the SAIPA to CPA route?

We are hoping to land in Vancouver, BC this year and I will like to register with CPA to start as soon as possible. I contacted SAIPA and they said I will most likely need to write the tax exams in Canada. 

Does anyone know what the next step will be, the cost and the time to complete? 

PhilipCX
2 hours ago, LD8 said:

Hi all

Have anyone started or done the SAIPA to CPA route?

We are hoping to land in Vancouver, BC this year and I will like to register with CPA to start as soon as possible. I contacted SAIPA and they said I will most likely need to write the tax exams in Canada. 

Does anyone know what the next step will be, the cost and the time to complete? 

SAIPA or SAICA? I think if you are registered with SAIPA it is a lot more than redoing tax exams, but that is just from what I've read? What is your designation, AGA (SA)?

QB87

@BobbyV I saw you mentioned something along this way. Are you able to give some advice? 

MaryJane

It may be best to contact CPA BC to find out for sure. https://www.bccpa.ca/become-a-cpa/become-a-cpa/internationally-designated-accountants/

I was reading through their FAQs on internationally designated accountants but could not find if they had an agreement in place with SAIPA. I have only found SAICA. The old legacy CMAs and CGAs have agreements with CIMA and ACCA.

Requirements differ (sometimes even from province to province).

LD8

Thank you. Will update what I can figure out. 

LD8

Thought I will just update on the topic, SAIPA to CPA if there is anyone also wanting to take this path. 

The only thing you get is about 12 months of your 30 months practical experience. Everything else needs to be done again. There is some options like ‘fast tracking’ where you can do some of the 6 modules together. I did the first 2 together and if you are working and doing this it is hard but if you really want it you can do it. 

To summarize: if you got SAIPA and you want your CPA you need to do 6 modules and 18 months of practical experience.

So yes starting over and doing a lot of studying again.