Sign in to follow this  
PhilipCX

Link between passport and PR card

PhilipCX

So we might need to do a soft landing in the new year if our application is processed on time, as our medicals is expiring not long after. We can only hope that this is the case, but what will happen will happen.

My question is, if we do a soft landing in Jan/ Feb, they will then proceed with issuing PR cards to "our address" in Canada, are these PR cards linked to the Passport number you entered the country on or are they only linked to your biometrics?  Because I would then on our return to SA like to apply for new passports which will be valid for a longer period and hopefully avoid to ever have to renew them again in SA.

So when re-entering Canada it will be on new passports, but either with our PR cards or those permanent resident travel documents that you can apply for. Has anyone else done something like this or have any input?

Thanks 

OutOfSa

Beware...

It has been my experience, but hey, anyone feel free to trash my argument....

The CIC will "permanently glue" your PR visa into your passport (the one you specified & sent when you applied.)

You can arrive and depart ONLY using that passport.  

You can apply for your PR card, but it may take 3 months to arrive - if the photo's are good enough. 

It will only be sent to an address in Canada.

??? A "soft landing" seems to have been lost in translation, it used to mean arriving to live and having an easy time, eg: job, house etc waiting - i can't figure out how a LSD or PR Activation became a "soft landing". A hard landing was arriving at the airport with a suitcase and nothing else. Mind you many things have changed over the years....

Back to the discussion:

If you have a new passport with no visa, and a PR card in Canada, then you'll be like a stray dog peering in through the window on an icy winters night.  You can howl and bark as much as you like, the people inside will glare at you and shoo you away.  That would be very, very bad. No papers, not entry. 

That's my 50c.

Things may have changed, but if there's one thing I have learned, it's don't mess / complicate a difficult process where you have no access to anyone that can help you !  

logan
1 hour ago, OutOfSa said:

??? A "soft landing" seems to have been lost in translation, it used to mean arriving to live and having an easy time, eg: job, house etc waiting - i can't figure out how a LSD or PR Activation became a "soft landing". A hard landing was arriving at the airport with a suitcase and nothing else. Mind you many things have changed over the years....

Perhaps it is time to coin a new term : "Touch-and-Go Landing (TGL)" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch-and-go_landing)? Or a "Stop-and-Go Landing (STG)"? (I considered others like: "half-landing", or "half-assed landing", or quasi-landing)...

Edited by logan
Input device stopped responding...

logan

6 hours ago, PhilipCX said:

So when re-entering Canada it will be on new passports, but either with our PR cards or those permanent resident travel documents that you can apply for. Has anyone else done something like this or have any input?

1 hour ago, OutOfSa said:

That would be very, very bad. No papers, not entry. 

As far as I understand it there is no link between your passport and the PR card, but you will need either the PR or the travel doc to re-enter...

PhilipCX
1 hour ago, logan said:

As far as I understand it there is no link between your passport and the PR card, but you will need either the PR or the travel doc to re-enter...

OK yes, soft landing was perhaps the incorrect term. But this is what I wanted to know thanks.