Sign in to follow this  
Feto

Our Landing Story - Long Over Due

Feto

Good Day to the Forum,

So this story has been long over due and I hope you at least have one laugh reading it.

We started our journey in June 2018 with our EE application and getting all the required paperwork in place, finally by end Feb 2019 we received that coveted golden email as you say. At first you talk about immigration and as the process follows you start informing family of what is to come... but when that email hits your inbox, you suddenly have an epiphany: "What the hell should I do now? I am so not ready for this".

Then you start working through a list, one by one ticking off the items. Suddenly you don't own a car, you live with family and frankly to everybody else you stuff is worthless, but you sold all of it. You have reduced you life into 8 suitcases and 4 backpacks. Ahead of us lies the next step, saying goodbye to family, some of which we will see for the last time, and you limit the gathering at airport. Don't care how tough you are...it hurts saying goodbye. Holding back the tears you wave as you pass through security.

Wow... it hits you again, now what. The twins (almost 2 year old boys), they are going nuts in this big building with trolley rides and escalators. We take a seat on a bench to check our tickets again and then make our way to the boarding gates. The lady asks for our boarding pass before we can enter the staging area to wait to board the plane. We had all our paper work neatly in a flip folder, I put my backpack down and suddenly get that cold, scared and shock feeling from my ears to my heels. Where is the folder...passports, COPR, tickets, proof of funds, etc.. its all in there...THE BENCH... I flip around and bolt through the airport, I skip two three steps up the stair case hoping no-one has taken it... as I turn the corner approaching this bench I see two security ladies have just noticed our folder, out of breath I am trying to explain to the ladies that they can check the folder, my passport is in there with a terrible photo this guy in it. Ok got it back... Walk back to find my boys all over the place, and my poor wife trying fruitlessly to get them to sit still... but wait we went the Doc a week before our trip and he prescribe some awesome stuff to calm the buys down. Don't get me wrong I don't give my kids anything other than medication when they are sick and vitamins...but we are about to spend 27hours on a airborne box with two year olds that are hard to control at home... gave them a dose and 45mins later being boarded they were a lot more docile.

Flying emirates, we had a stop over in Dubai 8hours later (Stop over 19hours)...boys slept the entire flight... we get out of the airport to go to a hotel, just to break the trip up and give the boys a bath and rest a bit before we continue our trip.

Back on the plane, dosed again... 14 hour flight to Toronto... 3:30 hour stop over (enough for landing paperwork)... then on to Calgary...

Oh no, no no no... Flight delayed in Dubai... All landing paperwork took as expected 1H30 including S/N numbers... but now our bags were offloaded, we need to get them, get on a mono-rail shuttle train and get our connection with westjet to Calgary... get there... O sorry, booking closed they cannot except more baggage...:censored: really? Now I leave the wife, kids and bags there... because the emirates counter is back on the other side of the airport... back on the rail... looking for one small emirates desk in the airport terminal. I finally found it... no more flights today... :censored: What? after I calmed down... ok next step... explain... O first flight in the morning...We are on it. Good:wacko:, let me spend some more money to book into the airport hotel. Get back to the wife who is now livid with the boys because we have no communication between us... ok everybody calm down... hotel... there we go... nice room... had a good bath and rest.

Next morning first thing we are at the gate...bags and all... "O, my apologies sir. You tickets have the kids booked as on-the-lap infants, this does not correspond to your original bookings and they will need to rebook your tickets again"............I go silent....... then..... what the :censored: do you mean... "Sorry Sir emirates will have to rebook you again"...

Now... Wife, Kids, Bags...all of it back on the mono rail... other terminal... where the :censored: is emirates... O no sir they only have a desk person when there is a flight, only this afternoon there will be someone....bbbbbbbbbbbblllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppp.... my heart just skipped a beat from the frustration...:censored::censored::censored:

Ok... phoned them... through a airport link phone... booked us Air Canada to Calgary in departing in 30min... there we go.

Finally we land in Calgary... no hassle... I got a bag with some prized cutlery, my pocket knife collection and so one... No-one stopped us once to check any of it... Awesome.

We get a cab, get to the Airbnb and finally stretch out... we have made it.

Since then everything has been great, awesome support from the communities, met some wonderful South Africans. Helped us a lot. Found a good job and we are enjoying Canada very much. The boys are still alive, we have settled... enough... have a place to sit, sleep, eat and watch the rugby... Well done Bokke!

Glad we went through it all, it will be worth it in the end... I truly believe that. 

• Like 6

HoneyClare

Scary trip! 

Sounds like you are settled, 

Enjoy and good luck 

Kitcat

Gosh @Feto, that’s quite a trip you had! As a fellow twin parent I can so relate to the madness of traveling with two little ones. Our girls are five now so our recent trip was a lot easier. We’ve been in Calgary for almost a month now and we’re loving it. If you guys ever wanted to get together give me a shout.

Hendie

Reminds me of our family of six negotiating our way around airports 20 years ago now. Had a couple of chuckles, just because it sounded so familiar! Welcome home!

CarlaVDW

I loved reading this landing story! My husband, 4 year old and I will be landing in Calgary in October and stories like yours are keeping me excited and and also give me a sense of relief that everything will turn our fine!

I am dreading the long journey with a toddler, but if you can manage with twins then I am sure we will survive!