Hilmarie

Hi all,

My husband and I are in Toronto on work permits and need to get police clearance certificates from SA for our PR application. I am considering to use either DocAssist or Apostil (https://apostil.co.za/) to get our PCCs. Has anyone used either of these companies recently? Any preference between the two?

Also, does the SA police clearance certificates need to be apostilled/attested?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Hilmarie

M-N

We used DocAssist from within Canada. I believe they'll send you instructions on what to do.

Flyfish

We have just received our permanent residence and used docassist. They were very quick and just in time. No need to have them apostilled/attested in our case.

GoDz85

Good day,

With regards to work permits. Does one need PCC?

Thanks in advance

Hilmarie
Posted (edited)

Thank you @Flyfish and @M-N! Where did you guys have your fingerprints taken? Can it be any finger printing service in Canada?

@GoDz85, yes you need PCCs for your work permit application.

Edited by Hilmarie

Hilmarie

I have been asked to send certified copies of my passport together with my fingerprints for the PCC application.  @Flyfish  and @M-NI assume DocAssist asked you for this as well? How did you get your ID/passport copies certified? Canadian police officer?

M-N
8 hours ago, Hilmarie said:

Thank you @Flyfish and @M-N! Where did you guys have your fingerprints taken? Can it be any finger printing service in Canada?

@GoDz85, yes you need PCCs for your work permit application.

I'm in Calgary so CPS doesn't do fingerprints. We went to a finger printing place downtown. You should be able to use RCMP depending on where you are or a third party service that's authorized to do it. 

M-N
8 hours ago, Hilmarie said:

I have been asked to send certified copies of my passport together with my fingerprints for the PCC application.  @Flyfish  and @M-NI assume DocAssist asked you for this as well? How did you get your ID/passport copies certified? Canadian police officer?

It was a long time ago but yes, I think we needed to. I had mine certified while in SA but I believe you can ask your local MLA OR ask on your Facebook community page if there's someone local.  

Flyfish

Sorry for the late  reply, but my wife found an newcomer help centre that certified our copies for us. I am not sure if all areas have the service, but they might. We are in Oakville so we had our fingerprints done at the SA consulate.

Hilmarie

@Flyfish, Thank you for your feedback. How long did it take to get your PCCs via docassist?

I was planning on using a company apostil.co.za since you can apparently pay more to get the PCCs done faster (by filling in a motivation form) but I am now starting to doubt my decision to use them since (1) nobody else on sacanada seems to have used them and (2) according to docassist it is not possible to expidite the PCC process anymore (since July 2018). So now I am worried that the company (apostil.co.za) might not be legit. They have a lot of reviews on google and they are all very good but I still find it strange that no one here have used them.

Flyfish

@Hilmarie, It only took them just over 2 weeks even after the change to 10 weeks. They were very helpful and everything was done by email. The documents were delivered quickly as well.

We did our fingerprints at the consulate which was also quick and efficient.

I have not heard of apostil.co.za so I can't comment on them.

Hilmarie

Thank you very much @Flyfish! The information you provided is very useful! One last question if I may - when exactly did you use docassist?

I am trying to make the final call between docassist which I know a lot of people on sacanada has used (so I trust their service) but they communicated that processing will take 6 weeks and apostil.co.za which nobody on sacanada has used it seems (but excellent reviews on google - almost too good to be true) but who can apparently expedite the process. 

If the process via docassist only took 2 weeks very recently then I will use them.

Flyfish

Hi @Hilmarie

It was November 2018. They were quicker than they quoted and they sent me the scanned copies as well. I know that CIC is aware of the delays with SAPS and if you send proof of the application for the PC they will accept that and you can upload the copy later.

I am not sure about apostil.co.za, but docassist never promised to be quick, but they were. I also went by everyone on the forum who used docassist. I also may have been biased as they are in Pretoria and I know the records department is in the same town.

Hilmarie

@Flyfish thank you very much!

Hilmarie

For those of you who used Doc Assist: they asked me to put a particular cellphone number on the fingerprint and Annex 23B forms so that SAPS can use that number for communication but there is no space on the (1) fingerprint form where one can enter a telephone number and (2) Annex 23B asks for very specific telephone numbers like the number of your last residence in SA, the number of your last employer and then your current number in the country of application (which would be Canada).

Can anyone tell me where they wrote that Doc Assist cellphone number on the SAPS forms?