RuanG

Work Permit Questions

Recommended Posts

RuanG

Hi all.

I did try to find some info on this topic. Please help me if you can.

I have a job-offer  in BC and will hopefully be moving with the family to Canada in December. My wife will go on an open work visa. When we arrive in Canada we will continue with our PR.I do have a few questions about this process though. 

What is the impact of going over on a work visa instead of an PR have with regards to the following:

  1. Renting/Buying a house,
  2. Buying a car,
  3. Pension,
  4. Medical 
  5. Schooling

Its a great privilege to have a job offer already and I do not want to pass it on  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lizelle
Posted (edited)

I am not sure why people more qualified have not answered yet.  But from what I understand, your WP should affect very little of those things.  What they want to know is if you are here legally.  

Buying a house will be a little different, as the bank may take that into consideration when deciding to give you a mortgage.  But it depends on your downpayment, I would think.  Renting should not be affected at all.  People want references, but I have rented plenty without a reference.  Generally, what they want is to see you to be sure that you look presentable. 

I am not sure about buying a car.  I would think it would not have any influence, but it may make your payment higher.  Interest rate is not very high anyway.

I am not sure about pension.  As in pension that you pay into in Canada?  I would think you would pay into it.  But hopefully by the time you need it you will have PR :)  

Schooling for kids are not affected at all.  They don't need a visa if you are here on a WP.  I am not sure about things like international fees for university, though, if that was what you meant.

Medical is not affected.  Although, in BC you have to be there 3 months to qualify anyway regardless of PR or WP,  I believe (unless it has changed recently).  

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Work-or-Study-in-B-C/Work-in-B-C/Know-Your-Rights-as-a-Temporary-Foreign-Worker

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline

I don't know if things have changed but in 2013-2014 (whilst on a WP) we were unable to get car financing for longer than the validity of our Work Permits. So, instead of a loan for 5-7 years, it was set to 2 years, as an example. We chose to buy 2nd hand, cash, instead, and waited until we were PR before financing (new) cars.

We rented without issues, but again, waited until we were PR before getting a mortgage. Bought a house within months of activating PR.

As @Lizelle said, schooling, medical, pension, renting, is not affected at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline

Keep in mind it is a great advantage to start with a solid job offer in hand. My advice would be to go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuanG
5 hours ago, Lizelle said:

I am not sure why people more qualified have not answered yet.  But from what I understand, your WP should affect very little of those things.  What they want to know is if you are here legally.  

Buying a house will be a little different, as the bank may take that into consideration when deciding to give you a mortgage.  But it depends on your downpayment, I would think.  Renting should not be affected at all.  People want references, but I have rented plenty without a reference.  Generally, what they want is to see you to be sure that you look presentable. 

I am not sure about buying a car.  I would think it would not have any influence, but it may make your payment higher.  Interest rate is not very high anyway.

I am not sure about pension.  As in pension that you pay into in Canada?  I would think you would pay into it.  But hopefully by the time you need it you will have PR :)  

Schooling for kids are not affected at all.  They don't need a visa if you are here on a WP.  I am not sure about things like international fees for university, though, if that was what you meant.

Medical is not affected.  Although, in BC you have to be there 3 months to qualify anyway regardless of PR or WP,  I believe (unless it has changed recently).  

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Work-or-Study-in-B-C/Work-in-B-C/Know-Your-Rights-as-a-Temporary-Foreign-Worker

Thank you very much Lizelle,

One thing less I need to concern myself with. hopefully I will meet great people like you that side

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuanG
3 hours ago, Nelline said:

I don't know if things have changed but in 2013-2014 (whilst on a WP) we were unable to get car financing for longer than the validity of our Work Permits. So, instead of a loan for 5-7 years, it was set to 2 years, as an example. We chose to buy 2nd hand, cash, instead, and waited until we were PR before financing (new) cars.

We rented without issues, but again, waited until we were PR before getting a mortgage. Bought a house within months of activating PR.

As @Lizelle said, schooling, medical, pension, renting, is not affected at all.

Thank you very much Nelline,

I think we will also buy a second hand car first. Will my insurance be the same as a person with a PR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ruankruger33
14 hours ago, RuanG said:

Hi all.

I did try to find some info on this topic. Please help me if you can.

I have a job-offer  in BC and will hopefully be moving with the family to Canada in December. My wife will go on an open work visa. When we arrive in Canada we will continue with our PR.I do have a few questions about this process though. 

What is the impact of going over on a work visa instead of an PR have with regards to the following:

  1. Renting/Buying a house,
  2. Buying a car,
  3. Pension,
  4. Medical 
  5. Schooling

Its a great privilege to have a job offer already and I do not want to pass it on  

Hi @RuanGsorry for commandeering your post but I have found myself in a similar situation but you have gone step further that  can hopefully help me.

I also have a job offer but in Ontario. Still negotiating but I am certain everything will work out. My problem comes with my very soon to be wife. She is currently studying part time LLB at Unisa and work full time in the system.

Maybe you can shed some light on how your wife is going on an open visa as this seems to be our only option?

Thanks 

Ruan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline
4 hours ago, RuanG said:

Thank you very much Nelline,

I think we will also buy a second hand car first. Will my insurance be the same as a person with a PR?

Your insurance will be the same as any "newcomer" (PR included) / "new driver" which means, it's going to be steep. You will need to shop around and try and find an insurer who will take at least some of your driving history into account, so get proof of that as well as proof of a history of no claims etc. Good news is that after 3 years you'll find a vast improvement in rates. Also, if the Province you settle in allows it (not all do), consider buying an older car and then choose NOT to take out comprehensive insurance, but basic only (3rd party liability etc) - that'll keep initial costs down a lot and when you buy a newer model (via financing) you can go for Comprehensive

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuanG
2 hours ago, Nelline said:

Your insurance will be the same as any "newcomer" (PR included) / "new driver" which means, it's going to be steep. You will need to shop around and try and find an insurer who will take at least some of your driving history into account, so get proof of that as well as proof of a history of no claims etc. Good news is that after 3 years you'll find a vast improvement in rates. Also, if the Province you settle in allows it (not all do), consider buying an older car and then choose NOT to take out comprehensive insurance, but basic only (3rd party liability etc) - that'll keep initial costs down a lot and when you buy a newer model (via financing) you can go for Comprehensive

Does the same go for household insurance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MaryJane
11 minutes ago, RuanG said:

Does the same go for household insurance?

Household insurances are fairly decent. When packaged together with car insurance, you get a better rate. (Product bundling discounts in effect). Car insurance ultimately is still hectic for a newcomer though just be aware.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrantM
2 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Car insurance ultimately is still hectic for a newcomer though just be aware.

It's a bitter pill to swallow. Actually had a conversation with my broker yesterday and it is his opinion that as a newcomer it will take about 5 years before your rates drop and that is if you have no claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flyfish

We have been here just over 18 months first on work permit and a month after receiving our PR and a year after paying high insurance on a second hand car(although Desjardins was half of anyone else at the time) we have just got our insurance payment halved. Just keep asking.

Buying a car is the same scenario as Nelline mentioned.  They will only finance for the period of the work permit. If you must have new, then lease is an option. We got 2nd hand first and just bought new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.