Nykster

So many questions from a potential migrant!

Recommended Posts

Nykster

Hi All,

Fantastic site you have here! I normally lurk in the background but decided to join this forum because I like many of you have made the decision to leave the country (rather heavy-hearted indeed). Simply got fed up of constantly feeling consernated and also due to a lack of professional progress up the the corporate ladder.

If possible, I need a litte advice from anyone who can lend an ear and deliver some sage advice!

A little background - I'm a single man aged 31, graduated from the University of Cape Town with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I was previously at Wits for my first 2 years but transferred to UCT for the remaining 2; consequently my UCT transcript lists courses for the first 2 years as exempted and has grades for the remaining 2 years. But because I graduated from UCT, I don't have a degree from Wits. My understanding is I am only to have my transcript and degree from UCT sent to WES (since I graduated from here). I think I came across this somewhere online but cannot find it. Has anyone gone through the same process or can anyone advise?

Secondly, I have heard people gone on about the maelstrom of emotions that emigration evokes and the thought of uprooting my life and sarting afresh is sending through a multitude of emotions. So using the points calculator ont he cic.gov.ca site, I scored a total of 430 points (having allocated myself full points for the IETLS portion). What are my chances of being invited to apply for Permanent Residence via the Express Entry program? If not very high, how possible to be selected for the PNP program?

Thirdly, how easy is it to find jobs online or rather, what is the best way of looking for jobs? Does one have to quit their job, cold turkey, scoot on over to Canada and go through a myriad survival jobs until they find what they are looking for. This is what is causing me extreme anxiety. My sister lives in Houston and she said there are no jobs in Canada. My dad believes there are only cleaning jobs for immigrants. Are any of these claims valid? A friend who recently emigrated via arranged marriage (living in Calgary) struggled to find a job (she's in software testing) and gave up after getting pregnant. She advised me to move to Winnipeg, Manitoba (if the process goes swimmingly). Can anyone help temper this thought? Is there anything I can do to make myself more attractive whilst preparing all documentation. FYI, I'm in the IT space.

Sorry for the essay and thanks for allowing me into your community and reading this!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmy

Hi @Nykster welcome........ yeah 430 points is low for getting an ITA at this stage. But don't give up, you have options......

Find out what your NOC code is and have a look at the various provinces' PNP streams, they have a list of in demand occupations and you may qualify for a provincial nomination.

There are definitely a lot of opportunities in Canada and finding work from South Africa is definitely possible, you just have to work with a bit of a strategy and network a lot. I approached companies in my field through networking, got a skype interview, flew over for a face to face interview and was offered a position. So it is definitely possible.....

Good luck with the road ahead, it is not going to be easy and is going to take a lot of work and research. If you are willing to work for it you can make this happen 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster

Thanks Jimmy, appreciate your feedback a lot! All the best with the move to begin your new job. I will definitely look at the PNP stream, seems like it may be my only hope, sigh :(

On another note, my coworker said he got a score of 413 and three weeks later was invited to apply for PR. Not sure how that happened if 430 is considered low...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reibtseb
7 hours ago, Nykster said:

Secondly, I have heard people gone on about the maelstrom of emotions that emigration evokes and the thought of uprooting my life and sarting afresh is sending through a multitude of emotions. So using the points calculator ont he cic.gov.ca site, I scored a total of 430 points (having allocated myself full points for the IETLS portion). What are my chances of being invited to apply for Permanent Residence via the Express Entry program? If not very high, how possible to be selected for the PNP program?

Thirdly, how easy is it to find jobs online or rather, what is the best way of looking for jobs? Does one have to quit their job, cold turkey, scoot on over to Canada and go through a myriad survival jobs until they find what they are looking for. This is what is causing me extreme anxiety. My sister lives in Houston and she said there are no jobs in Canada. My dad believes there are only cleaning jobs for immigrants. Are any of these claims valid? A friend who recently emigrated via arranged marriage (living in Calgary) struggled to find a job (she's in software testing) and gave up after getting pregnant. She advised me to move to Winnipeg, Manitoba (if the process goes swimmingly). Can anyone help temper this thought? Is there anything I can do to make myself more attractive whilst preparing all documentation. FYI, I'm in the IT space.
 

You might get a provincial nomination from Ontario or the like. They look at 400+ long as they haven't met their quota I believe. I was in the pool with NOC2133 or something (Electrical Engineering - Control Systems) and got an ITA from Ontario three days after going in the pool.

Finding a job isn't that hard. I found a job in my field after a couple days of looking. My company is constantly hiring. If you know databases or things like that the owners might be interested. We're based in Delta, BC. I also know of a couple people from all over the world that found jobs in their respective fields. This is in the Lower Mainland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary van der Westhuizen

I will only comment on the job question. 

You can apply from SA but it is unlikely that you will get a job, not impossible, buy unlikely. As far as getting a job the "there is only cleaning job" is not true. I am an accountant and my wife an industrial engineer, and we both got two job offers (each) within a month of getting here. We did pick Toronto, as your odds are better, we believed. We have subsequently moved about an hour out of the city, and there are still jobs. It does happen that people need to take survival jobs, but I think that is the exception and not the rule.

I have no idea what Manitoba prospects look like, but Canada in general does have work.  

Look at sites like Indeed, LinkedIn jobs, Monster etc. to get a feel for what is out there in which provinces and then base your decision on that not hear say from family members, that in all honesty, might not really want you to go. The last part sounds harsh, but it might be true. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster

Thanks Reitbseb and Gary for taking time to respond, much appreciated! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster

Hello,

So below are my English scores, but they only give me a total of 430 points. I am in the Information Technology field and was wondering if the scores would make it easy to get a Provincial Nomination?

image.thumb.png.d6a3d5ef3cb226eec19d09a5a7137b3e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline

Good score, well done! I don't think the PNP process even looks at the scores, but that is just my opinion. Target all the ones not needing a job offer, or where they say "job offer preferred" (or similar)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster
3 hours ago, Nelline said:

Good score, well done! I don't think the PNP process even looks at the scores, but that is just my opinion. Target all the ones not needing a job offer, or where they say "job offer preferred" (or similar)

Thanks, Nelline! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arya

Hi Nykster,

I've been living in Edmonton, Alberta for almost 2 years now, so I can only give you the Edmonton view.

I'm a Chartered Management Accountant and it took me 2 months to find a good job in my field. My husband is a bookstore manager and it took him 2 months too. It makes life easier if you have a fair bit of cash to fall back on while looking for work, then you're not that desperate and can wait that extra week or two to find the right job.

The Canadian government is well aware that skilled people sometimes find it hard to get a job, and there are many initiatives to assist you. I signed up with an organization called ERIEC that specializes in assisting professionals with permanent residency to fit into the job market. They offer assistance in tweaking your CV, cultural training, training in interview skills, transferrable skills, etc. all free of charge. If accepted into the program, they also match you with a mentor. This is a professional in your field that can give you advise and help you to network.

Good luck with this huge decision!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster

Thanks Arya!

Would you advise to do a soft landing and return home and apply from there or rather pack up, and job hunt whilst in the thick of it?

Two months is actually not bad compared to how long we have to wait in SA...

1 hour ago, Arya said:

Hi Nykster,

I've been living in Edmonton, Alberta for almost 2 years now, so I can only give you the Edmonton view.

I'm a Chartered Management Accountant and it took me 2 months to find a good job in my field. My husband is a bookstore manager and it took him 2 months too. It makes life easier if you have a fair bit of cash to fall back on while looking for work, then you're not that desperate and can wait that extra week or two to find the right job.

The Canadian government is well aware that skilled people sometimes find it hard to get a job, and there are many initiatives to assist you. I signed up with an organization called ERIEC that specializes in assisting professionals with permanent residency to fit into the job market. They offer assistance in tweaking your CV, cultural training, training in interview skills, transferrable skills, etc. all free of charge. If accepted into the program, they also match you with a mentor. This is a professional in your field that can give you advise and help you to network.

Good luck with this huge decision!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster

Hi,

Could anyone please assist with the application for Express Entry form. I keep going round in circles.

Whenever I log onto my profile, I'm presented with the following screen and upon clicking "Continue", I'm redirected to the government page. Does anyone know how to actually navigate to the form? 

image.thumb.png.3e5d860b1f835b2da5a44e3ea1cb7767.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
craigza

Google "gckey" and navigate to the "Sign in to your account - Canada.ca" search result. If you're still stuck in a loop, clear your browser cache or initiate a private browsing session then access the same link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nykster

Thanks Craig,

Just switched to Firefox and all was good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.