Sign in to follow this  
Casio1812

PR application - Provincial Nomination

Casio1812

I am looking at moving to Canada through the PR program, but I do not have enough points (417) for the Express Entry program. I've read one of the best ways to get more points is through the Provincial Nomination programs. I have 5 years experience teaching English as a foreign language, and wonder if my work experience in this area will help me to get a Provincial Nomination. I found my NOC code: "4021 College and other vocational instructors" which lists language school instructor under its occupations, which is Skill Type A. I do not know if this I would be able to qualify for any Provincial Nomination programs and how to check this. I would like to move to Ontario, but am open to other places. I am currently finishing my final year BA majoring in English and Linguistics, and looking to move as soon as possible after graduating at the end of the year. I am also considering trying to apply for a Student Visa and do a Post-Graduate degree there as a back up option. I have excellent results academically so if there are good scholarship opportunities for funding for post-graduate courses I would consider that too. I look forward to receiving any help and advice, thanks! 

MaryJane

Hi @Casio1812

417 is not too bad but you are right, we haven't seen draws having points that low as yet. (PS I think there was once before but for the life of me, I can't recall the lowest points, 417, 419?)

Anyway, I'd be frank that TEFL is not really an in-demand profession in Canada. I know of some people who teach English as a foreign language, but they mostly concentrate on markets outside Canada.

I'd suggest going for a Student Visa (if you can), but this will require some monies/funding. It is more expensive to study in Canada as an international student so you will need to show you can afford this.

There are many other options, such as PNPs (like you mentioned). The first step would be is to visit the different provinces' websites and look at the programs they have and see which ones apply to you the best. I'd assume provinces that do not require definite job offers or work contracts are what you'd go after. These programs tend to be the more popular ones too so there's a lot of competition.

Good luck with the research! Hopefully you do find something that will be a good fit and route to take.