ReneLestan

Travelling without PR card (Activation completed)

ReneLestan

Hi everyone,

I am doing my 2nd landing on 1 September 2019 🙂  Super excited about this.  I did my activation landing last year in Feb, so already have my confirmation of permanent residency document in my passport, and my PR card is with friends in Canada.  I'm a bit confused about which document I need for this second landing and hope that someone can direct me to the right place.  I thought I needed and electronic travel authorization, but from the cic website, this does not seem like the right process.  Will super appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Rene

GrantM

I've never had to do this but I'm pretty sure you will have a hard time getting through without having your PR card with you. You may need to get them to courier it to you before you fly.

Nelline

There is a travel document you can apply for, which covers you for entry as a "one-time deal"

I don't have the details to hand but I'm pretty sure @MaryJane will be able to point you in the right direction

MaryJane

Yes, you will need the PR Travel Document, which you can apply for.

While it’s not really advisable (because it might get lost or stopped) but often happens, you can also get your friend to courier you your card then you won’t need the travel document.

Have a safe second landing! 😉

• Like 1

Nelline
20 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

Yes, you will need the PR Travel Document, which you can apply for.

While it’s not really advisable (because it might get lost or stopped) but often happens, you can also get your friend to courier you your card then you won’t need the travel document.

Have a safe second landing! 😉

Her friend (me! :P ) doesn't want to courier the card because of the risks involved. Best apply for that travel document pronto.

• Haha 1

ReneLestan

@MaryJane and @Chayne, thank you for the speedy response and help 🙂

I went to VFS today in Cape Town at 30 Waterkant Street, 5th floor with the forms and required documents.  They could also take the pictures there which made things very simple.  No appointment needed.

See you soon @Nelline 🙂

• Like 1

Jules

Always better to get the temporary travel form rather than mailing or couriering a valuable PR card. 

fry
On 7/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, ReneLestan said:

@MaryJane and @Chayne, thank you for the speedy response and help 🙂

I went to VFS today in Cape Town at 30 Waterkant Street, 5th floor with the forms and required documents.  They could also take the pictures there which made things very simple.  No appointment needed.

See you soon @Nelline 🙂

@ReneLestan how did the application for the PR Travel Doc go? Can you share the costs, requirements and processing times. 

I have read online that they may not approve the application, and I am worried about activating and returning to SA without the card. (even though processing times are about 40days)

ReneLestan

@fry the process was pretty straightforward, I submitted my rental contract and employee cocontract with the application and that was fine.  Fees including the photographs were about R1600, visa was ready for collection in less than a week, no issues at all.