broken1

Visiting SA: Renting a car with Canadian Licence

broken1

I am visiting SA (for work) in a few weeks and need to rent a car. My South African drivers licence expired last year sometime so all I have now is my valid Ontario drivers licence. I messaged Avis Customer Care who said they require a drivers licence and passport for a rental, but because my passport is South African my drivers licence needs to state the Country of Origin (being South Africa) on it or they won’t rent me a car. Canadian licence don’t state country of Origin. 

Does anyone have real real world experience or advice for renting a car in SA with a Canadian drivers licence and SA passport? 

poorguy

You could also just renew your SA licence in SA. They give you temporary papers while you wait for the card which should be sufficient?

sueannejoe

Hi @broken1, I was in SA in January and had no issues renting a car at Avis with my Ontario drivers license. In fact, they gave me a more favourable rate than the rate I had booked. I am also in the same situation regarding my SA license expiring.

• Like 1

Nelline

Ditch Avis and rent elsewhere. I cannot believe my eyes, so you have to maintain your SA driver's license from abroad?? Nopety nope. Challenge that.

Nelline

I haven't had an SA license since, like, 2002. Never had an issue renting a car ANYWHERE.

Nelline
12 hours ago, poorguy said:

You could also just renew your SA licence in SA. They give you temporary papers while you wait for the card which should be sufficient?

But for why? Why would you feel the need to renew unless you're planning on returning?

• Like 1

MaryJane

I agree with most peeps on this.

I personally have never had a drivers licence in the country, which my original passport is in (because I never lived there).

If that was the case with Avis, I’m sure there are other car hire companies that could do the same for you.

Have a safe trip!

Jules

Folks I think we are misunderstanding the problem. The OP only has a SA passport and a Canadian license. When producing the foreign license they want to see your passport. When they see a SAn passport then they want to see a SAn license.  

Most of us haven’t had problems because we are arriving on a Canadian passport. 

broken1
Just now, Jules said:

Folks I think we are misunderstanding the problem. The OP only has a SA passport and a Canadian license. When producing the foreign license they want to see your passport. When they see a SAn passport then they want to see a SAn license.  

Indeed. Although thinking about this more and more if I can’t get Avis to understand, how will I get the friendly (or not so friendly) police officer that pulls you over as you leave the airport to understand. 

I’m going for work so maybe I’ll just expense a car service or Uber.

Miike
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

I was in SA in March and rented a car with hertz, Avis and Budget. I have a Canadian PR and a Nigerian passport. They only asked for my Ontario driver’s and Hertz asked for my  PR card. I do have an SA PR but they didn’t ask for it.

Edited by Miike
  • Like 1

sueannejoe
On 7/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, Jules said:

I travelled on an SA passport. 

• Like 1