Sign in to follow this  
David Campbell

Age-- does play a part against you?

David Campbell

Hi Everyone,

Question: to get a job in Canada does your age count against you?

I am 50 this month and also a SA business owner, and have lost all hope in SA as I can't find work or employment. 

I would like to see if I can get into Canada, but reading all the postes and see the Jobs, I comes across that all these factors might play against me.

Your thoughts and advise, please.

Edited by David Campbell

MaryJane

Age shouldn't matter if you can prove and convince the prospective employer that you are the right person for the job.

Some immigrants do experience what is referred to as "Canadian experience" or the lack of. It's not a fair way to look at things but hiring managers do look at candidates and how they will fit into the work culture. "Canadian experience" shouldn't really be the case for all, but it does happen.

Would this be something that you would undertake - looking for a job whilst in SA or looking for one when you land in Canada?

Nelline

Agree with @MaryJane but having said that, the older you get the more difficult it becomes. Not just in practical terms - for example, getting in via EE, the younger you are the more points you score, meaning that older candidates need to look into PNP opportunities or find a job offer, but also in adaptability. Most of us get more settled  in our ways as we grow older. I remember the first time I emigrated in my very early 30's vs the 2nd time in my early 40's and it was harder, for me at least to "start over."

David Campbell

Thanks so much for all the advice, nice to speak to people that care, I am truly humbled. I just would like to have opportunities, and SA has nothing. I am looking from SA, I have done about 100 plus CV's to job openings, but nothing, I would love to open my own company in Canada, that will secure me, and might open up doors. I have had my owner business for 10 years and I love a challenge, but make the grounds and environment fair, SA is not that place.

But will keep on at this, you never know, just have faith.

Nelline, roodekrans? I am in Northriding. Small world. Things have got worse in SA, the BBEE thing is now gone to the extreme. Sad, I Love my country, BUT, it's going to get lot worse, and business is  a low, people are negative, black white is on everyone minds, no matter were you go, it all that we talk about, government and corruption and the violence.

VickyV

I completely agree with you @David Campbell its only getting tougher here. Keep reading and doing your research. Exactly, just have faith and patience and perseverance and it will pay off. I have been reading about some Provincial nomination success stories and it honestly can happen so stay optimistic. All the best. 

Jules

Personally I think there’s some age discrimination in the labour market here. A 55 year old with 10 years experience in a specific field will struggle more than a 35 year old with the same 10 years field experience. The world is changing constantly so recent experience counts, which discounts the deep experience of older people. 

Employers favour younger applicants because they are cheaper. Just my personal opinion. 

David Campbell

Hi Jules,

You comment are so true, but in SA if you are 55 White and a business owner even less of a chance. And you have to employ young people with no work ethic and a total empowerment attitude.

That's why I would love to move, and have opportunities to grow ever more, and build a company.