Beannie

Settling in before arrival

Beannie

Hi all, 

So my husband and I have finally received confirmation that our application has been approved (whoop whoop). However, now the really planning starts, which leads me to many questions, and I was hoping that this group would be able to provide some insights. So here it goes: 

1) We’re planning to take our fur babies with us. However, we have x4 collies and I see that we can only have x3 dogs in the Ontario state.  Is this going to be an issue with the state, or is there someone that we can speak to? 

2) we’re looking at doing the financial immigration so when we leave early next year everything is done. Has anyone been through this process before - tips, insights etc would be super helpful? 

3) we’re looking at opening up our bank account now, in hopes that it will help to build up our credit record that side. We will also obtain a credit report from this before we leave. But my question is can we purchase a house within a few weeks of landing that side with a 30-50% deposit? 

4) how is the job market that side. Is it relatively easy to find a job if you have the credentials? Again, any tips, insights etc would be super appreciated.

Thanks all in advance 😎

Nyasha

Hi @Beannie,

I have an application in progress. Keen to hear if you managed to get information around your questions?

Regards,

Nyasha

Gary van der Westhuizen

Hi @Beannie

I will answer what I can. In all this, this has been our experience, so no guarantees that it will or won't work like that for you. 

1. Never heard of that rule, but I guess it is possible. You should be fine unless someone complains. We had to give our dogs away. We got a dog again after living here for almost 2 years. Owning a dog here is MUCH different to  SA. Assuming you had outside dogs. I don't think any landlord will accept you with 4 pets, unless you pay a huge deposit. Hopefully someone who has done it can comment. I know if we brought our dogs over, we would be liable for big damages, as they were not used to being locked inside the whole day. 

2. Don't do it, unless you have to. It is easier to wait the 5 years. We went through it, and it was a disaster. 

If you still have debt or property in the country, I don't think you can really do it as they change your bank account to a blocked  non-resident account. 

By the time we did it, we literally only had our retirement annuities left. We had sold our house, cars, paid off all debt, no life insurance nothing, been living in Canada for a few months. 

If memory serves, you need to complete the MP336(1) first, get it certified by a bank (they get reserve bank approval), and submit that with your assets/liabilities to SARS for a tax clearance certificate. Once you have that, you can take that with the application form to your retirement annuity provider and they will then basically do the rest. They need to also apply to SARS for a ruling/exemption ( I forget what it is called) after this, you will get your money, after you have been taxed. At this point your bank will allow you to move the funds offshore using a specific BOP code which they will provide. This also costs a bit, I think Investec charged around R1k for this as well. This is on top of the R8k for the financial emigration. 

That is it in short, but it takes forever. To add insult to injury, the tax clearance expires, so if you don't do it all fast enough, you need to apply again. 

Then when your normal income tax filing period comes you still need to file a return for that year, which will shows all the withdrawals and hopefully, the idiots get it right, or you need to reprove all of it again. Hope this helps. 

3. You can open an account, but you need to physically present yourself to "activate" the account. So we could only deposit money. Not transact or withdraw. Maybe someone else knows something different. As far as buying a house, I don't think so. You have 0 credit history here. They don't look at your SA record. I don't even think with a job you would be able to get a mortgage. We lived here for more than a year and we still struggled. Once again, others might have different experiences. 

4. No one knows. Everyone's experience is different. You could get a job within a week, or a month or two months. It depends on which industry you are in. If it is regulated, which I find is most industries, you need to get accredited or converted (assuming you can). Once you have that, it is much easier. You also have no "Canadian experience" so that could count against you. All that being said, I am an accountant and my wife an engineer and we both got 2 job offers within a month of getting here, so it is possible. We did live in Toronto, so that helps. We have subsequently moved out, and we still get calls from recruiters regularly. The key is networking. Network network network. It is all about who you know. I am not sure which industries you are in, but let me know, and I could possibly refer you to a few people that might be able to help. 

Good luck with the move! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OHCANADAAA

Hi Gary, thank you for the insights. We’re currently waiting for our PPR and will hopefully be in Toronto by early next year. I’ve been holding off on investing too much effort into certification in Canada before we get the visas, what was your wife’s experience getting certified as an engineer over there? I’m also an engineer and from what I’ve read it’s a protected title over there.

Gary van der Westhuizen

Hi @OHCANADAAA 

She didn't go the P.Ing route, but I know of someone who did, if you are interested I can share their details. They are quite strict with the term "engineer" if you are not registered you are called a technologist, I think. She got a job as a business analyst, so she doesn't need the engineer title. I think it also depends on what kind of engineer you are. Word to the wise, as soon as you know you are definitely coming, start the process. Things work, but they take forever. I started my conversion well before we got here, and it took months after we got here to get it resolved, just because things move slowly at times, and there might be exams or courses you need to complete that are only offered at certain points in the year.

• Like 1

Jules

I terms of getting a mortgage fast - it hugely depends on your employment status. Without a reliable income it will be almost impossible to get approved. But if you land a job immediately and you have a large down payment then you will have some options via new immigrant packages which all the major banks now offer. But the longer you wait the better your credit score and the lower the interest rate. 

My advice is to rent for 1 year so you can explore the region in order to make an educated and informed purchase decision on where you want to throw roots. You don’t want to waste money buying in an area and then selling a year later after you discover another area you like more.

Don't rush it 

• Like 1

OHCANADAAA
On 8/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, Gary van der Westhuizen said:

Hi @OHCANADAAA 

She didn't go the P.Ing route, but I know of someone who did, if you are interested I can share their details. They are quite strict with the term "engineer" if you are not registered you are called a technologist, I think. She got a job as a business analyst, so she doesn't need the engineer title. I think it also depends on what kind of engineer you are. Word to the wise, as soon as you know you are definitely coming, start the process. Things work, but they take forever. I started my conversion well before we got here, and it took months after we got here to get it resolved, just because things move slowly at times, and there might be exams or courses you need to complete that are only offered at certain points in the year.

Hi @Gary van der Westhuizen. Thank you for the info! I'm a mechanical engineer. I looked into the requirements from PEO (Professional Engineers Ontario) and it seems quite straightforward but I'll definitely have to start the process sooner rather than later. Luckily since around March they've changed they're fee structure for international graduates, essentially making the process and the first year's membership free..

• Like 2