Sign in to follow this  
Boerbok

School environment

Boerbok

Hallo Everyone, we are seriously considering emigrating to Canada. I just want to know what the school environment is like, ie any major problems with discipline or bullies etc. I know the USA and the UK especially seem to have significant problems in these areas, so I just want to know what schools are like in Canada?

Jules

Hard to generalize across a whole country but overall I think the public schools in Canada are very well run. There are pockets of problems here and there as all countries have, but overall I would say Canadian schools are extremely diverse and welcoming to immigrant children. 

Canadian school teachers really seem to love their jobs and it’s more of a vocation and personal calling than just a job. Schooling should be the least of your worries.  

• Like 1

Nelline

Issues like bullying get addressed straight away. As in every country, the children whose parents stay involved in their lives and schooling, do best. Like @Jules schooling should be way down on your list of worries, it'll be fine.

Getting a good teaching position (and staying in it) is incredibly competitive, which means teachers go above and beyond for the children (though I'm sure they'd do it anyway, but you get my drift?)

• Like 1

JohanR
On 6/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, Boerbok said:

Hallo Everyone, we are seriously considering emigrating to Canada. I just want to know what the school environment is like, ie any major problems with discipline or bullies etc. I know the USA and the UK especially seem to have significant problems in these areas, so I just want to know what schools are like in Canada?

As Canada is an enormous country it would benefit if we knew which province you were considering. Also primary or high school?

I know it may sound silly, but what is normal in one province is not normal in another and even between school boards there is a difference.

Level of education is good. Bullying is around but is dealt with quickly and effectively in most cases. Only gripe I have is with high school kids that smoke between classes in front of the school on the sidewalk. Guess in SA schools they still smoke skelm behind the bicycle shed or the woodworking class. Here it is open and in your face.

Schooling is definitely one of you lesser worries. Most of the kids that have come through our house is down to earth and in general have good manners.  

MaryJane

I’d agree with most comments that have been made here. Good schools in general.

My experience with the public Catholic schools has been positive, especially the elementary ones. When we arrived, I had a kid in high school and one in elementary. My younger child struggled a bit to adjust and the school (teachers I’d say) went out of their way to help, encourage and get my child caught up with school level that she was on.

I have no complaints about the high school either. My eldest adjusted well but only spent about a year and a half there before graduating. My youngest now is in the same high school.

The school your child goes to depends on the catchment area of your house so sometimes there’s  not much of a choice where you initially take your child to. Having said that, once your child is in a particular school, and you decide to move to a different catchment area, you may be offered to have your child remain in his/her current school instead of transferring (happened to me twice).

Boerbok

We are looking into moving to Alberta