Guest Mimi

South African Teacher with a bEd degree

Guest Mimi

Are there any South African Teachers that moved to Canada?

I am a Primary teacher with a bED Degree, my degree is being evaluated by WES,  just waiting for them to finish the process. 

Next step is to do my IELTS. 

I will appreciate any help and feedback from someone who went trough the process? 

Kind regards

Mimi

Nelline

I was a teacher in SA (and the UK) but changed careers in Canada as it is very tough finding a teaching position this side. There are many, many well-qualified teachers competing for every spot, but it is do-able, especially if you're prepared to do supply teaching work for a while (years) - I have an SA friend now living in NB who did exactly that and after 3 years of supply teaching she has just been offered a permanent post!

You might have more luck with private schools, though, and there are some areas in Canada where the work is available as there is a scarcity of teachers, I am thinking further North (Nunavut, the Northwest Territories)

Jules

A good alternative career is working in the HR field of training and development. 

M-N
7 hours ago, Jules said:

A good alternative career is working in the HR field of training and development. 

This! Can confirm. Ex-teacher now working  in corporate training (IT). 

Jules
5 hours ago, M-N said:

This! Can confirm. Ex-teacher now working  in corporate training (IT). 

And it is generally a field which pays well and opens new doors within HR which in turn can open more doors (especially if you study further in business / commerce etc.).